or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4376  

post #65626 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityHunter View Post

That mag is like 70% advertisements.

And the other 30% non-ad copy is just a thinly masked attempt to sell you more junk.

I've worked on a few GQ/Esquire style mags and they are pretty much made to sell products to 20 somethings that are easily swayed by established trends. Everything is either an ad for scotch/watches/skinny suits or an article about how to appreciate scotch/watches/skinny suits.
post #65627 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by bows1 View Post

I read GQ today at lunch because we didn't have anything else at the office, and I didn't bring my book.
How did I use to like this magazine? It was a chore to get through

 

seconded. Nowadays the only stuff I read is the style section in Monocle. They're not much better when it comes to promoting materialism, but at least they talk about interesting brands (and their fashion spreads are often gorgeous)

post #65628 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWorksheets View Post


And the other 30% non-ad copy is just a thinly masked attempt to sell you more junk.
I've worked on a few GQ/Esquire style mags and they are pretty much made to sell products to 20 somethings that are easily swayed by established trends. Everything is either an ad for scotch/watches/skinny suits or an article about how to appreciate scotch/watches/skinny suits.

 

To be fair, GQ has a couple really good staff writers (Michael Paterniti), which means there's a decent article or two, usually, and sometimes an incredible one.  Esquire is a little better and usually has 2-3 pretty solid articles at the back.  Neither of them are the New Yorker, but... they're like 6 bucks annually.

post #65629 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

To be fair, GQ has a couple really good staff writers (Michael Paterniti), which means there's a decent article or two, usually, and sometimes an incredible one.  Esquire is a little better and usually has 2-3 pretty solid articles at the back.  Neither of them are the New Yorker, but... they're like 6 bucks annually.

Yeah, I'm kind of making sweeping generalizations here. The ones I worked on would do things like bookend articles on facial hair styles with ads for Gilette. Or do interviews with artists/writers and then run photographs of them drinking a certain type of beer which was heavily advertised in the mag. I'm talking about the kind of stuff where the advertising pervades every aspect of the magazine and the content feels like an afterthought to the ads.
post #65630 of 109053
post #65631 of 109053
032c is probably one of the best magazines for fashion, art, culture... imo
post #65632 of 109053

wtf the boots are $300??

post #65633 of 109053
That's about what I paid for the real deal wow.gif Maybe material won't be as bad as speculated?
post #65634 of 109053

i also can't stand how 99% of gq's best dressed are professionally styled red carpet shots. 

post #65635 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post

H&MMM Pricing is out (+ hi-res lookbook pics)

wow, prices are pretty steep.. looks like we're better off yooxing and tres biening

post #65636 of 109053
Even with those prices, chances are people that line up for this will still snatch em all up and try and resell on ebay for the price of the actual MMM mainline price. :lol;
post #65637 of 109053
That H&MMMM lookbook is actually pretty great.
post #65638 of 109053

It was really well styled, and it's all repro pieces. If this had been an MMM "proper" re-release we'd probably be beasting over it.

post #65639 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthwhyte View Post

It was really well styled, and it's all repro pieces. If this had been an MMM "proper" re-release we'd probably be beasting over it.

Truth.
post #65640 of 109053
What's the price on sneaks? Article not loading properly on my phone. Anyone know if this is all made in China?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts