or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4348

post #65206 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I totally forgot Lars von Trier had started a women's footwear line. Do you know where I can find pics of the full collection?
post #65207 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance View Post

I totally forgot Lars von Trier had started a women's footwear line. Do you know where I can find pics of the full collection?

I'm going to have nightmares about this video
post #65208 of 99012

post #65209 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by e0d9n0b5 View Post

no it really isn't,
I expect you like different stuff than I do, and have a different idea of what a decent success rate is, but come on, that's your post? Feel free to provide a list. I would be interested to see it. You don't even have to use capital letters or periods or anything.
post #65210 of 99012
as if your post had more substance than that?
post #65211 of 99012
Well, Brad, I don't know which specific post you're referring to, but yes, I'm pretty sure that it did in that I did more than effectively quote someone to say "you're wrong", and in fact provided a bit of colour and some explanation as to where I was coming from. If you mean the one he quoted, then yes, there was significantly more substance to it.
post #65212 of 99012
No, I believe Ed was implying that your argument was a bit weird. You were saying that a brand shouldn't be measured on the ratio of good to bad produce; well, why not? I could find some decent stuff from LV too if I wanted. Hell, even Jcrew puts out a chambray that I wouldn't mind doing the gardening in.

Not saying that that should be the sole measure of a brand's worth, but to say "Margiela is shit" now based on the amount of awful crap that comes out of it isn't necessarily wrong.
post #65213 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

No, I believe Ed was implying that your argument was a bit weird. You were saying that a brand shouldn't be measured on the ratio of good to bad produce; well, why not?
I don't think I was saying this. I think what I was saying was that most brands (so much so that I have difficulty thinking of a list of brands this doesn't apply to) are very hit or miss at the moment, and put out a lot of stuff I don't like in addition to the stuff I do like. The reason I think that that is what I was saying is because it's actually what I said.
Quote:
"Margiela is shit" now based on the amount of awful crap that comes out of it isn't necessarily wrong.
Allow me to elaborate further.

Sure, if you dislike MMM because you like hardly any of the pieces that's a legitimate perspective. I disagree with it in spite of my view that there is quite a bit of it that I don't like each season, on the basis that a) there's also a lot I DO like, and b) there aren't many labels I can think of that produce stuff I like with spectacular consistency anyway, so if not liking half the stuff they put out was a reason to think the brand was shit I would think just about every brand was shit. Hence I do not think Margiela is shit.
post #65214 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

EDIT: And I have the real white painted sidezips so that and anything else in this H&M collection can fuck right off. I just about molotov'd my local mall when I heard that, fuck H&M collabos. The Lanvin one I could stomach but this makes me want to kick whoever's idea it was in the junk really hard.

Margiela's primary thesis has always been that all the pieces we need have already been made. His best stuff, for which he is known, for both men and for women (on which he actually worked) are reassembled, vintage, pieces. other pieces are replica or reinvented pieces inspired by vintage.

Lanvin, on the other hand, as all about luxury fabrics - grosgrain, beautiful leather, etc...

Looking at it this way, the H&M MMM collection makes a lot more sense than the Margiela collatoration.

FWIW, women's Margiela, which I buy for my wife, has always been better than mens, though I do like the 5-zip. And, given Margiela's ethos, I have no shame in cutting up pieces, or modifying them as I see fit (Oh, the horror. Yes, I know.)
post #65215 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

No, I believe Ed was implying that your argument was a bit weird. You were saying that a brand shouldn't be measured on the ratio of good to bad produce; well, why not? I could find some decent stuff from LV too if I wanted. Hell, even Jcrew puts out a chambray that I wouldn't mind doing the gardening in.
Not saying that that should be the sole measure of a brand's worth, but to say "Margiela is shit" now based on the amount of awful crap that comes out of it isn't necessarily wrong.

WTF are you talking about now? LV makes some amazing pieces. If you want some truly lux outerwear, it's not a bad place to look.
post #65216 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

WTF are you talking about now? LV makes some amazing pieces. If you want some truly lux outerwear, it's not a bad place to look.

bad example.

I don't want truly lux outerwear anyway...
post #65217 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Looking at it this way, the H&M MMM collection makes a lot more sense than the Margiela collatoration.
Whatever makes sense is one thing, but I like Margiela and I don't like H&M. The combination of the two is off-putting to me.

Also, prior to the Lanvin / H&M thing happening it seemed to me that the stuff H&M was putting out was largely in line with the Lanvin aesthetic - silk trim, saturated colours, weird fabric mixes, patent and metallic shoes etc. There was lots of pseudo-formalwear, tux jackets and the like. It was cheap but it evoked something not altogether incongruent. It's possible I just wasn't paying much attention.
post #65218 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

I don't think I was saying this. I think what I was saying was that most brands (so much so that I have difficulty thinking of a list of brands this doesn't apply to) are very hit or miss at the moment, and put out a lot of stuff I don't like in addition to the stuff I do like. The reason I think that that is what I was saying is because it's actually what I said.

So if they're very hit and miss at the moment does that mean that you liked them better before? When they were less hit or miss?

Perhaps this decrease in consistency is what has led to such a judgement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post

Sure, if you dislike MMM because you like hardly any of the pieces that's a legitimate perspective. I disagree with it in spite of my view that there is quite a bit of it that I don't like each season, on the basis that a) there's also a lot I DO like, and b) there aren't many labels I can think of that produce stuff I like with spectacular consistency anyway, so if not liking half the stuff they put out was a reason to think the brand was shit I would think just about every brand was shit. Hence I do not think Margiela is shit.

Agreed, if you don't like something you don't like it. Also though, some would disagree with your idea that consistency is not particularly important because they can think of labels that are significantly more consistent.

Looking at a collection in store or in pictures, it's quite a bit more enjoyable when there are lots of pieces that you like.

I guess this takes the curation factor away a bit, but it's still overall that much more inspiring.
post #65219 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Margiela's primary thesis has always been that all the pieces we need have already been made. His best stuff, for which he is known, for both men and for women (on which he actually worked) are reassembled, vintage, pieces. other pieces are replica or reinvented pieces inspired by vintage.

I'm reading Retromania by Simon Reynolds right now. (good review here) It deals with pop music's destructive obsession with its own past. Though I'm fully aware fashion has long recycled and referenced itself over and over, I still don't mind a good replica/reinvention. However I've become keenly aware of my own misguided nostalgia when it comes to music. Need to find new good stuff.
post #65220 of 99012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

good review here)
Quote:
Five years ago, a young Scottish woman named Sandi Thom reached No. 1 on the British charts with her song “I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in My Hair).” She delivered it with a voice of pleading and with a cappella sincerity, as if she were trying to sell you something. Perhaps that was why I found it irritating; or else it was the suggestion that punk rockers would break bread with someone who had flowers in her hair. Thanks to Simon Reynolds’s “Retromania,” I now understand that she “purposefully conflated 1967 and 1977 to speak to the vague nostalgia felt by many young people for a lost golden age when music had power and integrity.”
forreal feck I found that song annoying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts