or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4272

post #64066 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

[RANT]
I'm sick of:
1) No break everything. You skinny assholes look like Peewee Herman. And you fat fuckers look like Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dumb.
2) Fashion bloggers with huge phallic DSLRs. You are not shooting rare birds. You don't need that shit.
3) Sideparts - fuck you. You are not Don Draper, and you are not some fucker from a Golden Age movie.
4) Slim chinos - Listen, you dumbfucks. Chinos were the uniform of BestBuy employees, and where are they now? That's right. So stop that shit. Wear jeans or wool pants. Linen in the summer, if you are a Eurotrash asshole or if you play a lot of golf with fat storage unit billionaires.
5) Bloggers photographing one another. We don't need to see public fellation. If I want to see that shit, I will go to a sex show and pay. Thanks.
6) Ironic anything - yeah, that goes for all you hipster people from Brooklyn. At least in Portland, the gods get angry and rain on your ass. Brooklyn seems to be some sort of safe haven.
[/RANT]

frown.gif
post #64067 of 94713
Also, Manton shows both his strengths and weaknesses in that post. He is pretty dead on about the tailored stuff, but I'm not even sure what he means by non-chino khakis? Does he mean non-khaki colored chinos? Does he mean khaki colored pants that are not chinos? In which case, he could have just written "khaki colored trousers", but it's pretty unclear.
post #64068 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobizor View Post

qyxfB.png
Fact: none of you assholes are well dressed.

I own most of these things and so does Parker. My guess would be that if you are into fashion for a while you'll end up wit a lot of these things (see LAGuy). However it is important to know Manton was adressing an MC audience and telling them how to do decent MC.

Here's something I had posted at the time putting what was happening into context. Note that Manton is big on Aristotle so I thought it was fitting.

"You and several others, maybe including some of the “forum elders”, are fundamentally misunderstanding what is going on here and in other similar threads started by the aforementioned elders. While you may see these threads as imparting some sort of absolute, objective and universal set of rules and practices without providing any justification for why it is so (let’s call this the Platonic approach, nothing to do with not getting laid) what you have is in reality similar to Aristotelian ethics. Instead of scrapping what is currently believed to be true and what is put in practice and trying to end up with a new set of absolutely proven rules demonstrated through a long and tedious argumentative chain we start with the end result and work backward, resolving contradictions as we go along. This is called methodological conservatism and is very appropriate for MC. The way it goes is that you acknowledge that you live in a certain society, in a certain time and at a certain place but that what you are trying to do is to give people the tools to deal with that specific context anyway, you make no pretense of going for the absolute and universal (like Plato did) and you don’t attack the whole social edifice anyway but systematize what is the good in this specific context. You go with what the wise (those that are respected and have well thought out opinions) and the many (consensual statements that the populace can easily go for like “we dress to look good”) believe in and work from there to develop a coherent set of principles that others may adopt to have a praxis of dressing well. Now Aristotle was quite adamant that your values were the result of your education and that you weren’t fundamentally virtuous or lacking in virtue, he however basically thought that it was pretty useless to try to change the non-virtuous as they were fucked up for life or something equally silly. It is also why he doesn’t care about justifying certain statements he makes, if you’re an ok dude you’re supposed to agree with him and go along.

Applying this to what is happening in MC should be quite easy but let me spell it out for you: people that are generally recognized as dressing well and making well thought-out points about dressing are dropping knowledge to help the mass of awful to decent MC dressers dress better in an MC context (so no claim to universality, timelessness or any other drivel should be believed to be anything but rhetorical), this also serves them to resolve their diverging opinions and coalesce MC-knowledge into a coherent set of practices that is relatively easily applicable. They will probably fail to help most of you because your aesthetic education was a failure and these things are hard to rectify. Stuff is still interesting. There are several important problems with Aristotelian ethics and the subject/object Cartesian distinction of someone from outside looking in rationally and methodically at the world and making dispassionate observation about objects to learn their properties (Heidegger basically destroyed the whole thing in Being and Time), they also apply here, this isn’t really too important right now as most MCers need such help to grow into looking like something beside Christmas trees of fabric. "
Edited by Fuuma - 9/14/12 at 10:29am
post #64069 of 94713

I think it's also indicative that everyone who's said they own most of those things are (I think) over 30.  I just sold my only suit because even on occasions where I could wear one, no one else was because people in their mid-20's just don't own suits.

post #64070 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

I think it's also indicative that everyone who's said they own most of those things are (I think) over 30.  I just sold my only suit because even on occasions where I could wear one, no one else was because people in their mid-20's just don't own suits.

i might be 64 but now i own 2 suits
post #64071 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Also, Manton shows both his strengths and weaknesses in that post. He is pretty dead on about the tailored stuff, but I'm not even sure what he means by non-chino khakis? Does he mean non-khaki colored chinos? Does he mean khaki colored pants that are not chinos? In which case, he could have just written "khaki colored trousers", but it's pretty unclear.

He is talking about cotton trousers that have much of the detailing of dress trousers - crease, waistband, trimmings, higher rise, etc - and can be worn with sportcoats. The cloth is usually finer than what you would get at RRL or whatever. Sometimes it can even have some cashmere blended in - Scabal makes a good example.
post #64072 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post


i might be 64 but now i own 2 suits


I have 3... dead in sw&d years

post #64073 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

I think it's also indicative that everyone who's said they own most of those things are (I think) over 30.  I just sold my only suit because even on occasions where I could wear one, no one else was because people in their mid-20's just don't own suits.

I think I've worn a suit once in 2012, sure we're talking about people in their 30s but what is important is that if you like fashion, eventually there's a few things that will be popular and that you will probably pick up at some point. Not necesarily but hey. I have a double-breasted suit, a flannel suit, some navy blazers, some black captoes etc. I don't have many ties and not sure what they are exactly and I don't wear chinos or loafers but aside from that, it's a good list if you sometimes to often dress up. Nowadays I very often end up wearing a dress shirt + blazer+jeans+boots anyway so MC items (well SWD-MC items) are pretty important to me.
post #64074 of 94713

Yeah, the only 'mc' thing I don't get are large numbers of ties. I have... 4? including a bow tie. I prefer wearing a suit without them.

post #64075 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

[RANT]
I'm sick of:
1) No break everything. You skinny assholes look like Peewee Herman. And you fat fuckers look like Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dumb.
2) Fashion bloggers with huge phallic DSLRs. You are not shooting rare birds. You don't need that shit.
3) Sideparts - fuck you. You are not Don Draper, and you are not some fucker from a Golden Age movie.
4) Slim chinos - Listen, you dumbfucks. Chinos were the uniform of BestBuy employees, and where are they now? That's right. So stop that shit. Wear jeans or wool pants. Linen in the summer, if you are a Eurotrash asshole or if you play a lot of golf with fat storage unit billionaires.
5) Bloggers photographing one another. We don't need to see public fellation. If I want to see that shit, I will go to a sex show and pay. Thanks.
6) Ironic anything - yeah, that goes for all you hipster people from Brooklyn. At least in Portland, the gods get angry and rain on your ass. Brooklyn seems to be some sort of safe haven.
[/RANT]

but...I like my haircut frown.gif

post #64076 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

[RANT] Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm sick of:
1) No break everything. You skinny assholes look like Peewee Herman. And you fat fuckers look like Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dumb.
2) Fashion bloggers with huge phallic DSLRs. You are not shooting rare birds. You don't need that shit.
3) Sideparts - fuck you. You are not Don Draper, and you are not some fucker from a Golden Age movie.
4) Slim chinos - Listen, you dumbfucks. Chinos were the uniform of BestBuy employees, and where are they now? That's right. So stop that shit. Wear jeans or wool pants. Linen in the summer, if you are a Eurotrash asshole or if you play a lot of golf with fat storage unit billionaires.
5) Bloggers photographing one another. We don't need to see public fellation. If I want to see that shit, I will go to a sex show and pay. Thanks.
6) Ironic anything - yeah, that goes for all you hipster people from Brooklyn. At least in Portland, the gods get angry and rain on your ass. Brooklyn seems to be some sort of safe haven.
[/RANT]

I'm with you except for (4). Well fitting chinos like Unis in an Ervellish framework with a shirt and a pair of CPs or derbies is a nice look.
post #64077 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTTP View Post

Yeah, the only 'mc' thing I don't get are large numbers of ties. I have... 4? including a bow tie. I prefer wearing a suit without them.

You don't "get" that people that wear ties with suits and blazers would have at least 10-15 ties? I mean I was thinking of starting a "10 essential ties" thread in MC and get that so I'm ok. Right now I think I have a few TB wool ties, a black tie for funerals, a few randoms and that's about it.
post #64078 of 94713
If You Do Not Own The Following Things, You Are Not Well Dressed:

- a fear of self-expression, manifesting in a desperate desire to adhere to some set of rules put in place by some kind of authority that this responsibility can be ceded to, even if said authority is an idealized imagination from an age that never occurred
- an inability to judge the worth of design, masked by an assumption that worth can be fully equated to quality of materials
- an utter disdain for those who do not have the previous two failings, and a belief that they are somehow responsible for the decline in the culture you claim to love but do not actually love as it is merely a representation of your own disintegrating personal life
- 6,000 posts in the "huge fuckin' tits" thread
post #64079 of 94713
There's a Huge Fuckin' Tits thread?
post #64080 of 94713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

You don't "get" that people that wear ties with suits and blazers would have at least 10-15 ties? I mean I was thinking of starting a "10 essential ties" thread in MC and get that so I'm ok. Right now I think I have a few TB wool ties, a black tie for funerals, a few randoms and that's about it.
I mean on a personal level.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts