or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4093

post #61381 of 100296
here you go baby
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZARA-Mens-Ivory-Cotton-Check-Print-Button-Up-Shirt-Sz-L-/380373618175
post #61382 of 100296
Not the same... frown.gif

Srsly, though, I think the one you posted is good for the same reason the Uniqlo or W + H camo pants are good: with a little subtlety, you're getting the best of both worlds.

(Never go full Etro).
post #61383 of 100296
Must see stores (clothing or otherwise) in Paris?

So far I have Rick, Damir, Margiela, L'eclaireur, Dries.
post #61384 of 100296
Bless, Ra, 45RPM.
Le Bon Marché isn't too far from the Dries store, but a bit disappointing last time I was there.
post #61385 of 100296
Any good threads on SW&D shopping in NYC or Brooklyn?

Places to see (other than major department stores):

Epaulet
Nepenthes
Altelier
Freeman's Sporting Club

Others?
post #61386 of 100296
Ughh 45RPM is the worst.
post #61387 of 100296
Frenchtrotters
post #61388 of 100296
Serious question: Why doesn't everything have like ~2% elastane in it? Comfort difference is ridiculous. Most of us buy nice clothes not just because shit looks good but because nice fabrics just feel awesome to wear, why not make luxe stuff better this way? The clothes last longer too.

(I could be completely off base here, I'm basing this off just experience with jeans)
post #61389 of 100296
Limited mobility is a way to keep society from rebelling

Elastane would change that

The ruling class does not want its subjects wearing elastane
post #61390 of 100296
Because it would fuck up the look, feel, and physical integrity of a lot of fabrics, that's why.

It's also easier to do really precise tailoring and dressmaking applications when the fabric doesn't move around on you. One of the reasons you rarely see low-end bias cut clothes - they change shape drastically over time and they're harder to sew correctly. Jeans and those really tight H&M button downs are an exception because they don't hang off the body for support, they cling to it.

There's also something to be said for pure natural fibers in general.
post #61391 of 100296
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenagelightning View Post

Serious question: Why doesn't everything have like ~2% elastane in it? Comfort difference is ridiculous. Most of us buy nice clothes not just because shit looks good but because nice fabrics just feel awesome to wear, why not make luxe stuff better this way? The clothes last longer too.
(I could be completely off base here, I'm basing this off just experience with jeans)

A lot of the so-called "goth ninja" designers make clothing just like this. Since becoming a gym rat, the loose flowing nature of Yohji Yamamoto has really started to resonate with me. And of course Rick Owens has a very strong athletic and comfort presence in his clothing.
post #61392 of 100296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

Any good threads on SW&D shopping in NYC or Brooklyn?
Places to see (other than major department stores):
Epaulet
Nepenthes
Altelier
Freeman's Sporting Club
Others?

rick owens store is next to atelier
blue in green
self edge
45 rpm (natan will cry, but it's true)
main barney's
main bergdorfs
tom ford is always entertaining
opening ceremony
odin
rag & bone
jean shop

there's probably like 50 others
post #61393 of 100296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot View Post

Because it would fuck up the look, feel, and physical integrity of a lot of fabrics, that's why.
It's also easier to do really precise tailoring and dressmaking applications when the fabric doesn't move around on you. One of the reasons you rarely see low-end bias cut clothes - they change shape drastically over time and they're harder to sew correctly. Jeans and those really tight H&M button downs are an exception because they don't hang off the body for support, they cling to it.
There's also something to be said for pure natural fibers in general.

I can definitely buy that stretch would make sewing more difficult, but stretch and bias cut are very different. Stretch bounces back whereas bias has nothing to pull it back. By the time the elastane kind of stretches out the fabric has been put through enough stress that it's going to have stretched out a bit naturally as all fabrics do even if it didn't have stretch.

Drape is a good point though I have trouble imagining the weight of the clothing pulling it out of shape too much.

Can't buy that it would "fuck up the feel" or that there's "something to be said for pure natural fibers" beyond marketing. No one here looks at those bs cotton-cashmere marketing trick blends and goes "whoah, it's 95% cotton, but 5% cashmere! this is gonna be soft as hell!" The difference at that level is pretty nominal. I can't really feel any difference when something's at 2% unless it's something ridiculous like 2% steel wool (CCP dishwashing shirt) or 2% cactus (CCP desert boots).

But again I'm not a fabric manufacturer or anything, just some guy making assumptions on the internet, so I'll just assume there's a good reason and it's probably one of those things you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouveau Pauvre View Post

A lot of the so-called "goth ninja" designers make clothing just like this. Since becoming a gym rat, the loose flowing nature of Yohji Yamamoto has really started to resonate with me. And of course Rick Owens has a very strong athletic and comfort presence in his clothing.

Really? I never notice elastane in anything I see by that crowd (which I guess is a pretty sweeping judgement if we're talking about Yohji and Rick at the same time here). Drapey and flowing is different than what I mean but present in a lot of that stuff though yes.
post #61394 of 100296
The main Barneys is very awesome. And as a bonus you stop by Agent Provocateur across the street.
post #61395 of 100296
I stopped by the MadAve Barneys way back in Feb but it seemed to have been under renovation? Like most of it was blocked off. Or maybe I'm crazy and missed the escalator or something
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts