or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 4042  

post #60616 of 109053
energy efficiency of your average petrol consuming internal combustion engine moving a car is about 25 to 30% vs 33 to 48 % from thermal power stations powered by fossil fuels. if you think about it a power plant should be able to convert fossil fuels much more efficiently than a small combustion engine because a plant can create conditions that is much more conducive to energy extraction (eg at critical point) than a car can.

energy produced by an average thermal plant also has less environmental effect because of increasing regulations to dispose of waste gases, C02, and ash vs a car where a catalytic converter simply burns off leftover gases releasing all of its c02 and ashes into the air.
post #60617 of 109053
So sick of car talk.
post #60618 of 109053
can't we all just ride bicycles and get along?
post #60619 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

energy efficiency of your average petrol consuming internal combustion engine moving a car is about 25 to 30% vs 33 to 48 % from thermal power stations powered by fossil fuels. if you think about it a power plant should be able to convert fossil fuels much more efficiently than a small combustion engine because a plant can create conditions that is much more conducive to energy extraction (eg at critical point) than a car can.
energy produced by an average thermal plant also has less environmental effect because of increasing regulations to dispose of waste gases, C02, and ash vs a car where a catalytic converter simply burns off leftover gases releasing all of its c02 and ashes into the air.


This is all understood and assumed, but you're comparing 2 different things. How efficient is an actual electric car? You've compared a combustion engine to a power station, which are 2 different things. How efficient is an electric engine?

A combustion engine turns fuel into kinetic energy by combustion. What's the energy loss in turning electrical energy into kinetic energy? When you think about it, 25% is very fucking efficient. More efficient than most animals - although we also do things like thinking etc.

Also, what about the energy loss in charging a battery? What about the energy costs in making a battery? What about the energy costs in maintaining a power grid? what about the energy lost within the grid?

I do think batteries will be the way to go because as you say a power plant will have less environmental impact, but I think local fuel is and will for a long time be more energy efficient in terms of actual energy utilisation.
post #60620 of 109053
anyone been watching italy in the euro? great shawl collar jersey.

237
181

and of course that pirlo penalty.
post #60621 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

When the car was first invented, there was no gasoline infrastructure either but when you need something like that, you'll see it tends to spring up fast.

Come on, what's easier taking an existing grid and plugging in renewable sources (which we need to do anyway) or creating an infrastructure from scratch.

The torque curve alone is enough to get my vote devil.gif
post #60622 of 109053
Véronique Branquinho is back too (only rtw though)

Quote:
VERONIQUE BRANQUINHO is returning to fashion under her own name, three years after filing for bankruptcy. The designer - who most recently presented a lingerie collection with local label Marie Jo L'Aventure at Antwerp Fashion Week - is set to return to the ready-to-wear schedule in Paris, with a slightly lower-priced offering than her former eponymous brand.

Created along with Italian clothing manufacturer Gibò, who has reportedly also invested in her company, the collection will be a "bit more adult" than her former designs, Branquinho says.

"I've always been a no-nonsense girl, I think," the designer told WWD. "My approach is also like that and I think this is something people are looking for - honest things… Before, I had an independent company. I was responsible for everything. In this new situation, it feels so comfortable, because I'm only busy with the creative part."

"Gibò will focus on re-establishing the brand in quality stores around the world starting with ready-to-wear and shoes, followed in the future by accessories," the Italian manufacturer added.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/06/25/veronique-branquinho-returns---catwalk-comeback
http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/ready-to-wear-sportswear/veronique-branquinho-returning-to-rtw-5989561?module=hp-markets
post #60623 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

This is all understood and assumed, but you're comparing 2 different things. How efficient is an actual electric car? You've compared a combustion engine to a power station, which are 2 different things. How efficient is an electric engine?
A combustion engine turns fuel into kinetic energy by combustion. What's the energy loss in turning electrical energy into kinetic energy? When you think about it, 25% is very fucking efficient. More efficient than most animals - although we also do things like thinking etc.
Also, what about the energy loss in charging a battery? What about the energy costs in making a battery? What about the energy costs in maintaining a power grid? what about the energy lost within the grid?
I do think batteries will be the way to go because as you say a power plant will have less environmental impact, but I think local fuel is and will for a long time be more energy efficient in terms of actual energy utilisation.

well if you're going to get that nitty gritty there is also energy lost in making a combustion engine, the radiator, the car's battery (lead acid which is far less environmentally healthy and less efficient than lithium ion). there is also energy lost in transporting fuel (transporting fuel to tens of thousands of gas stations in the us vs transporting to hundreds of plants). power plants also take in variety of fossil fuels vs cars that require extracting and converting petroleum to a useable source of energy.

there is also maintenance costs to consider. whereas a car has a ton of moving parts to fix, electric cars dont.

most people only travel 40 miles or so every day, meaning that cars will only have to be charged overnight where this is plenty of capacity on the grid.

also because most people only travel 40 miles or so every day you need far less electric car charging stations as the range of a car is up to 300 miles meaning only people going on extremely long journeys will have to worry about charging their cars on the way.
post #60624 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipang View Post

Véronique Branquinho is back too (only rtw though)
Quote:
VERONIQUE BRANQUINHO is returning to fashion under her own name, three years after filing for bankruptcy. The designer - who most recently presented a lingerie collection with local label Marie Jo L'Aventure at Antwerp Fashion Week - is set to return to the ready-to-wear schedule in Paris, with a slightly lower-priced offering than her former eponymous brand.
Created along with Italian clothing manufacturer Gibò, who has reportedly also invested in her company, the collection will be a "bit more adult" than her former designs, Branquinho says.
"I've always been a no-nonsense girl, I think," the designer told WWD. "My approach is also like that and I think this is something people are looking for - honest things… Before, I had an independent company. I was responsible for everything. In this new situation, it feels so comfortable, because I'm only busy with the creative part."
"Gibò will focus on re-establishing the brand in quality stores around the world starting with ready-to-wear and shoes, followed in the future by accessories," the Italian manufacturer added.
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/06/25/veronique-branquinho-returns---catwalk-comeback
http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/ready-to-wear-sportswear/veronique-branquinho-returning-to-rtw-5989561?module=hp-markets

Eh, lower price point? Means shit won't be as luxurious and I don't know what the fuck more adult means as her shit was already mature.
post #60625 of 109053
NEVER HAPPY
post #60626 of 109053
Nothing will ever be the same as it was before I cared about it
post #60627 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipang View Post

NEVER HAPPY

Happiness is for people with low standards
post #60628 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

This is all understood and assumed, but you're comparing 2 different things. How efficient is an actual electric car? You've compared a combustion engine to a power station, which are 2 different things. How efficient is an electric engine?
A combustion engine turns fuel into kinetic energy by combustion. What's the energy loss in turning electrical energy into kinetic energy? When you think about it, 25% is very fucking efficient. More efficient than most animals - although we also do things like thinking etc.
Also, what about the energy loss in charging a battery? What about the energy costs in making a battery? What about the energy costs in maintaining a power grid? what about the energy lost within the grid?
I do think batteries will be the way to go because as you say a power plant will have less environmental impact, but I think local fuel is and will for a long time be more energy efficient in terms of actual energy utilisation.

Yes, but what does hydrogen that make battery? And how far can battery charge like power grid? I think power grid has charge way to go like energy usage and sustainability. Often there is just too much of not enough that means electricity has to scale exhaust pipe. Which, in the long run, is elastic energy cycle byproduct sustains itself through careful reproduction. What this means is the mechanical flow can efficiently turn off the radius in charge of efficiency per square inch of cubic feet.

Hydrogen, in this way, seems to be a solution that is charge intuitive. You may not agree, but often there are rules and there are power grids and there is energy. 300 miles is how far it travels. The hemisphere is bright and utilized and smog. Ultimately, our way of life is maintained through society, which in turn is mechanical energy and behavioral flow. This is obvious, and if you haven't read much on topic, mountains of steam. Energy combusts like flowers in the rain, like a thermonuclear cloud rising from the powergrid flow.

I hope that made sense.
post #60629 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by artishard116 View Post

The torque curve alone is enough to get my vote devil.gif

I was going to post this but see that you have already done so
post #60630 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by artishard116 View Post

Come on, what's easier taking an existing grid and plugging in renewable sources (which we need to do anyway) or creating an infrastructure from scratch.
The torque curve alone is enough to get my vote devil.gif

+1, electric cars are already here. There are numerous ways of collecting electricity vs having to put a reactor on wheels, and most people in most places will find the range of electric cars to be fine. Outside of America, it's hard for personal drivers to really cover many miles in a day anyway.

We'll rape the earth for collecting battery materials, but that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipang View Post

Véronique Branquinho is back too (only rtw though)
Quote:
VERONIQUE BRANQUINHO is returning to fashion under her own name, three years after filing for bankruptcy. The designer - who most recently presented a lingerie collection with local label Marie Jo L'Aventure at Antwerp Fashion Week - is set to return to the ready-to-wear schedule in Paris, with a slightly lower-priced offering than her former eponymous brand.
Created along with Italian clothing manufacturer Gibò, who has reportedly also invested in her company, the collection will be a "bit more adult" than her former designs, Branquinho says.
"I've always been a no-nonsense girl, I think," the designer told WWD. "My approach is also like that and I think this is something people are looking for - honest things… Before, I had an independent company. I was responsible for everything. In this new situation, it feels so comfortable, because I'm only busy with the creative part."
"Gibò will focus on re-establishing the brand in quality stores around the world starting with ready-to-wear and shoes, followed in the future by accessories," the Italian manufacturer added.
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/06/25/veronique-branquinho-returns---catwalk-comeback
http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/ready-to-wear-sportswear/veronique-branquinho-returning-to-rtw-5989561?module=hp-markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Eh, lower price point? Means shit won't be as luxurious and I don't know what the fuck more adult means as her shit was already mature.

"more adult" = basics, conservative tailoreds
"Before, I had an independent company. I was responsible for everything. In this new situation, it feels so comfortable, because I'm only busy with the creative part" = she'll get a paycheck, but also see her name implode eventually
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts