Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 9/28/16 at 6:07pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Random fashion thoughts - Page 3970post #59536 of 1090535/30/12 at 10:07pmpost #59537 of 1090535/30/12 at 10:30pmpost #59538 of 1090535/30/12 at 11:01pmLooking through my old posts:Quote:Originally Posted by Synthese
Luckily, I keep all of this information handily jotted down on the inside of my pants.
Let's see: three years, who knows how many washes, something like ten countries, dozens of airports, a quick dip in bleach during a drunken arts and crafts binge in what must have been 2010, multiple sprints through the rain after beautiful women, multiple nights spent on the floor in the company of said beautiful women, several nights spent vomiting in the mud, gutters and hotel bathrooms of various countries, innumerable repairs to the crotch, knees, and thighs, a couple of torn pockets, and an excerpt of what appears to be a Baudelaire poem scrawled inside the waistband:
Qu'importe l'eternite de la damnation a qui a trouve dans une seconde l'infini de la jouissance?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by Synthese
I was feeling a bit nostalgic today, and took some photos of what remains of my collection of raw jeans - something that I've never done before. . Like a lot of forum members, I stumbled on SF while reading about raw denim - and, like a lot of forum members, my interests have changed a lot. It's fun to look back and try to remember what I was thinking about four years ago, when I was at the peak of my obsession with denim. I've since been through all kinds of stuff, but my first pair of APC jeans were new standards, which I think I had read about in Esquire or something.
I bought this pair of petit standards in April, 2009, at their store in the Marais. I'd been wearing the same pair of jeans (also APC) for the previous two years, and raw denim was still exciting enough that I wanted more. New standards weren't skinny enough, I was listening to indie music and drinking cheap beer with Parisian hipsters, and petit standards fit the slouchy grunge look I was into. Since then, they've been all over the world with me. Ten countries are listed on the inside of the pocket bag, and they've been used and abused so consistently that the only thing holding them together anymore is darning thread. I wear a lot of high-brow clothing now; everything from Patrik Ervell to Rick Owens and Damir Doma, but I still smile when I put these on - even if they've shrunk so much and had so much patching that the crotch barely fits anymore.
The first time the back pocket ripped open was when I slid down a concrete banister in the metro. My friends and I had gone out the wrong exit, and instead of going through the station and finding our way back to the platform, we slid down the middle of the escalator we'd just come up. It earned me several strange looks, and a hole in my pocket. Over the last three years, they've been soaked through in rainstorms, had the crotch ripped open numerous times, they've fallen in the mud, been repaired, ripped, and repaired again, spilled on, and puked on by me and others. They've been washed countless times, and they were even bleached at some point in early 2010. They're basically retired, now, having been replaced by a pair of jeans that stays on my ass - these ones don't even stay up anymore.
These were also purchased in Paris at some point in 2009; from a small consignment store in the Marais that's fairly close to the birthplace of my petit standards. They're by Helmut Lang "Elastic Classic Slim Cut Denim," and I have no idea what year they're from. They started out as a uniform black with a white weft, and they've now faded to an interesting dusky black/grey. The weave is really loose, and they're great summer jeans, despite the color. The pockets are an interesting detail, but are actually really annoying to use, and I always wonder if I could have a tailor change them into normal pockets somehow. When I bought these, I had been searching for a pair of black jeans forever, and hadn't found anything for months. I randomly wandered into this store and tried these on. They were perfect, and I walked away a happy man after paying 40 euros for them. For the longest time I had no shoes to wear them with except for a pair of grey high tops that are hidden in a box somewhere and a pair of brown desert boots that looked terrible with them, and have since been ruined and thrown out. I haven't kept track of them like I did with my APC's, but they've seen almost as much travel, if not quite as much wear. I go through phases with them; half the time I think they look horrible, and the other half of the time they're my favorite pants. The reality is, I assume, somewhere in the middle.
My girlfriend got me these for my birthday last year after she got sick of hearing me lament the condition of my ragged old pair. They're petit standards as well, and after not having purchased raw denim since 2009, it was pretty strange to put them on for the first time. I didn't really like it; couldn't remember why the discomfort had been so much fun three years before, wasn't really looking forward to breaking in a new pair of jeans. I don't have the patience or the interest to wear them every day, and my wardrobe is really different from the uniform of white t-shirt, jeans, and desert boots I was wearing in college. Even though they're only seven months old, and haven't been worn nearly as much as my last pair, they've gotten more enjoyable to wear. They'e already been showered in a few times and had a trip through the washing machine, and I like the way they fit much better now than I did when they were new. They're finally starting to stack well, and feel more like jeans than a chore. I made the mistake of trying to sandpaper them, which I hadn't done on any of my other jeans, and don't particularly like the results - only because I now have more creases than I ought, and some of them aren't really in the right place. I've never cared much about the "authenticity" of the jeans, but they definitely don't look as natural as I hoped they would. Hopefully as they fade the creases will blend in a little more. They're fun to wear, though; they look good, fit well, and they still make me feel like a cool dude, just like my first pair did when I bought them in Paris three years ago.
I don't know when I got into the habit of drawing on my pants, but it's something I do now. It's fun, for some reason, and I think it looks cool too. Makes them even more my own.
The rest of my raw jeans have disappeared over the years. I went through new standards, petit standards, NDG's, PRPS jeans, UNIQLO's, 7FAMs, and who knows what else. Now I wear boring old levi's to work half the time, and probably won't buy a new pair of raw jeans for another three years. It's a little sad to look back on who you used to be, what you used to think you'd become, and where you are now. Bittersweet, maybe, to realize that you've had to grow up, even if it's against your will, and in ways you weren't expecting. And funny to think how a pair of jeans can be a window into the past, and into your head.post #59539 of 1090535/30/12 at 11:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by Master Milano
Does anyone have any idea what's happening at Spurr. I met one of the designers, Greg, at the sample sale and he was one of the nicest dudes ever. I like most of their designs and hope that everything will be alright at the company.
Damn. I hope they stay open. I have a jacket from his SPURR line and the fit, construction, and material are great. Wish I lived in NYC so I could go to his previous sample sales.post #59540 of 1090535/30/12 at 11:20pmpost #59541 of 1090535/30/12 at 11:37pmpost #59542 of 1090535/31/12 at 1:46ampost #59543 of 1090535/31/12 at 2:05ampost #59544 of 1090535/31/12 at 3:45ampost #59545 of 1090535/31/12 at 5:12ampost #59546 of 1090535/31/12 at 5:34ampost #59547 of 1090535/31/12 at 5:39ampost #59548 of 1090535/31/12 at 6:04ampost #59549 of 1090535/31/12 at 9:39ampost #59550 of 1090535/31/12 at 10:24amAlright, just got back to the states after almost 3 weeks of traveling through Italy, my European adventure has finally come to an end.
Anyways, no way in hell I'm digging through the 1300 posts I've missed since I've been away from my comp, someone please give me a blow by blow of the most interesting shit from the past ~3 weeks. Cheers!
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
Currently, there are 1504 Active Users (303 Members and 1201 Guests)
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 seconds ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 2 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 5 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 6 minutes ago
- › BNIB OAK STREET BOOTMAKERS TRENCH BOOT. BK. Sz. 8.5 and 8 8 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...