or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 3926

post #58876 of 99920
LabelKing slip-ons?


I've learned that it's always good to open a case on Ebay if you need to return something. I purchased an item from someone in Denmark, and it arrived broken. After arguing over email (and opening a case), they agreed to give me a full refund. So, I sent it all the way back, and it's been sitting at their local post office for a week because they won't pick it up. Meanwhile, Ebay has already issued me a refund since I opened a case about a month ago.
post #58877 of 99920
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post

Do you really know that? or do you just know about assholes on the internet? If the only feminism i was exposed to was feminists on the internet, my view of feminism would be much less charitable (thank god I know a few IRL).
I think that, in a trial by fire, the MRM will have to ditch it's more anti-women fringes if it wants respectability, and probably will. People are genereally sympathetic when injustice is pointed out to them.
I think the bigger opposition to a mainstream acceptance of a moderate MRM is feminists who don't think their problems are real/need MRM'ers to use orthodox feminism to frame their problems in order to take them seriously. They are the ones who can deny legitimacy to the movement because they control the gender-rights conversation. They can paint the MRM as anti-women, regardless of whether that's a central or fringe aspect of the movement.
As an aside: Women? able to wield power in a way that oppresses men? Perish the thought!
That being said, as a guy who's really good at navigating modern masculinity, (I spit the illest profeminist game when i holla at feminist ladies) I have like 0 personal need for either movement. This is mostly my observations from looking at both.

Okay obviously we're both going to be painting with a broad brush when we're talking about feminism and MRM, but the need to frame things in terms of orthodox feminism (seems like that term shouldn't exist...) is a really sticky issue. Like you've said, there are issues with men adopting adapting that framework. A lot of men will tell you that it doesn't speak to their experience, and a lot of women will tell you that you're diluting the movement, not respecting its historical foundations, etc.

Putting that aside for a second, I think there's something to be said for men working in that framework. IMO it can be a sign of solidarity, acceptance, willingness to change, etc. It's a sign of respect, and a way of giving credit where it's due. There's also the issue of legitimacy-- while orthodox feminism is typically accepted as the only legitimate way to discuss gender issues, it also has a way of legitimizing a lot of unusual ways of acting / thinking / making knowledge claims. Now obviously feminism has always had problems with trying to speak for everyone, but it's at least a start and gives men something to work with.

I don't think you're wrong to say that there are problems with the way feminism has addressed men's issues, but I seriously doubt that's the main problem with MRM. Even if it were, it's not like the MRM guys are engaging those issues in a constructive, intelligent way.
post #58878 of 99920
http://www.feministcritics.org/blog/about/what-feminism-got-right/ I like this site a lot. The posters seem really intelligent and pick apart lots of the problems I have with feminist discourse, as it relates to men.
post #58879 of 99920
can you guys move your feminist crap to the intel masturbation area? it's probably the least entertaining subject posted here of all time.
post #58880 of 99920
Brought back some supplies for a DIY effort that I'll try to finish during all this rain, but I might need to thrift some flannel shirts first peepwall[1].gif

I'm going to add an extra "tail' onto some button up shirts, using contrasting fabric, but I'm going to "sew" it on using leather laces

The question is whether to add a scalloped hem to a cut off / horizontal hem, add an additional scalloped hem to the existing scalloped hem or add a flat/horizontal hem at the very bottom, but continuing from the original scalloped hem.

Any ideas?

1690551
post #58881 of 99920
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissou View Post

I've learned that it's always good to open a case on Ebay if you need to return something. I purchased an item from someone in Denmark, and it arrived broken. After arguing over email (and opening a case), they agreed to give me a full refund. So, I sent it all the way back, and it's been sitting at their local post office for a week because they won't pick it up. Meanwhile, Ebay has already issued me a refund since I opened a case about a month ago.

Been there. I'm not sure why sellers think that they can not pick up returns and game the system.
post #58882 of 99920
I actually just got a message from the seller stating that they will have to pay $175 in import fees (item was worth about $350), even though I stated that it was returned goods on the customs form. Sucks, but I am glad I'm not waiting on them for a refund.
post #58883 of 99920
Quote:
Originally Posted by tween_spirit View Post

Brought back some supplies for a DIY effort that I'll try to finish during all this rain, but I might need to thrift some flannel shirts first peepwall[1].gif
I'm going to add an extra "tail' onto some button up shirts, using contrasting fabric, but I'm going to "sew" it on using leather laces
The question is whether to add a scalloped hem to a cut off / horizontal hem, add an additional scalloped hem to the existing scalloped hem or add a flat/horizontal hem at the very bottom, but continuing from the original scalloped hem.
Any ideas?
1690551


Scalloped+scalloped or scalloped+flat for me. Is it more for the patchwork effect or for the added lenght, both ? I've been digging longer shirts lately so I'm biased, longer tails on regular shirt remind me of that Helmut fishtail dress shirt I should've bought.

Do it do it.
post #58884 of 99920
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipang View Post

Scalloped+scalloped or scalloped+flat for me. Is it more for the patchwork effect or for the added lenght, both ? I've been digging longer shirts lately so I'm biased, longer tails on regular shirt remind me of that Helmut fishtail dress shirt I should've bought.
Do it do it.

Yeah I think I'll try scalloped + scalloped for now, I think that fits in with what I'm going to do it to. It's for both reasons you mention, but I can't decide if i want to add plaid to a plain oxford or plaid to another plaid. I guess it comes down to what I can find that works together well. Just trying to creatively explore alternatives to the shirt around the waist thing, and I think this could be a fun one for spring/summer.

Do you like the idea of me using those leather laces to affix it? I think it fits in with my whole thing lately too, much more than a neatly sewn together panel would. It all started because I was thinking about just spiraling a long one around the hem of a tee, but then i realized I could use it to fasten things together, and then this idea was born.
post #58885 of 99920
2 for me too
post #58886 of 99920
Yeah it's pretty much the logical progression from the shirt around waist, I've been tying random shit around my waist lately, there's a need, a craving even... Long shirts are interesting but the longer front can be bothersome (well, not so much if the shirt is open) so this longer tail thing is definitely tempting.

Wasn't convinced on the leather laces but mostly because I can picture it working that well in my outfits, but yeah I don't think it'd seem out of place with what you got going on.
post #58887 of 99920
black shirt with red plaid tail?
post #58888 of 99920
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipang View Post

Yeah it's pretty much the logical progression from the shirt around waist, I've been tying random shit around my waist lately, there's a need, a craving even... Long shirts are interesting but the longer front can be bothersome (well, not so much if the shirt is open) so this longer tail thing is definitely tempting.
Wasn't convinced on the leather laces but mostly because I can picture it working that well in my outfits, but yeah I don't think it'd seem out of place with what you got going on.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, it's cool to hear you're adding stuff to the waist area too. I can see the more structured apron thing working for you as well, based on what I know you own.

I'll at least give it a shot and I can always redo it "properly" if it comes out bad. Was thinking it could tie it all together though and I'd be wearing with like the visvim sneakers or whatever so I'll basically be having extra shit hanging all over me. I still need some good necklaces. There was one at Blue & Cream that was a sort of branch/twig in brass that I liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aether View Post

black shirt with red plaid tail?

This could be really cool for the fall. Like a black chamois shirt with buffalo plaid flannel tail
post #58889 of 99920
visvimesque goroismatic



black with red plaid now automatically makes me think of Givenchy, make of that what you will
post #58890 of 99920
If you want longer shirts, why don't you buy the OL jumbo shirts. I have one from fw 11 and it's awesome
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts