or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 3567

post #53491 of 103580

Quote:

Originally Posted by the shah View Post


i'd say for two reasons : first because it's cool conceptually but otherwise not really practical (aside from capes which are awesome icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif) and second because the success ratio between circus act and cool outfit is 0.17 ...


I think practicality really depends on context; I had a friend who got more wear out of a neon jumpsuit than most of styleforum has from their wings and horns.  If you're in the right crowd the 'party clothes' are going to get enough wear.  Your second point is probably a hit, though.

 

That said, are there any online shops that carry more than a few items from those lines?

post #53492 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

467
Sorry, only phone I have on hand right now is on my phone.

very nice fok which last?
post #53493 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

How come the styleforum doesn't ever really go for the 'loud' designers (Bernard Wilhelm, Walter van Beirendonck, Jeremy Scott, Gaultier, etc)?

I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but I've thought about this a few times. I think the time has passed for those guys, particularly BW and Jeremy Scott.

Like there was that whole bloghouse era in 2007 and it all reached critical mass then, but things have just shifted lately. And when they were at their peak popularity, when everything was neon and MIA was (almost) relevant and helped make those BW flying squirrel sweatshirts popular and shit like that SF was into AA APC Clarks from what I can understand, so it would have never caught on here for sure. I'm sure there are the party boys out there that still wear it but that subset has always had it's own thing going on, outside of the maltstream trends.
post #53494 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

i'd say for two reasons : first because it's cool conceptually but otherwise not really practical (aside from capes which are awesome icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif) and second because the success ratio between circus act and cool outfit is 0.17 ...

I have always liked WLG, before and after Walter was designer (it is now part of Giorgio Brato, iirc). Cool sweatshirt/fleece with interesting washes and uses of washed leather details. Not really for everyone though.
post #53495 of 103580
post #53496 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

very nice fok which last?

That is the 4444, which fits me best. Size 9 UK, and I am usually a 43 in Common Projects, and between a 10.5-11 in nearly all other shoes/sneakers. Some website said that Trickers "fit small". I think that they were trying to troll their own customers. None of the lasts fit really small, but the 4444 has a wider forefoot, which I need, but the heel is the same as per the other lasts.
post #53497 of 103580

"I mix street wear with high fashion. It's never been seen before."

Indeed.
post #53498 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Quote:

I think practicality really depends on context; I had a friend who got more wear out of a neon jumpsuit than most of styleforum has from their wings and horns.  If you're in the right crowd the 'party clothes' are going to get enough wear.  Your second point is probably a hit, though.

That said, are there any online shops that carry more than a few items from those lines?

Seven New York was always part of that trend.

I think that I did a pretty good job with both my pairs of Trickers, but in both cases, I cribbed off existing ideas and modified according to my tastes (changed the color and details a bit, essentially, in the second, I changed the color of the suede and the model), so they were not altogether original ideas. I'm a pretty decent stylist, but I'm not a designer (in the contemporary, not the traditional, sense of the phrases.)

I want to know who got these MTO Trickers - I would let that guy design a pair for me:

1.jpg&width=0&height=250-

Great understanding of texture, color, balance.
post #53499 of 103580

Quote:

Originally Posted by tween_spirit View Post


I'm not sure if I've posted this before, but I've thought about this a few times. I think the time has passed for those guys, particularly BW and Jeremy Scott.
Like there was that whole bloghouse era in 2007 and it all reached critical mass then, but things have just shifted lately. And when they were at their peak popularity, when everything was neon and MIA was (almost) relevant and helped make those BW flying squirrel sweatshirts popular and shit like that SF was into AA APC Clarks from what I can understand, so it would have never caught on here for sure. I'm sure there are the party boys out there that still wear it but that subset has always had it's own thing going on, outside of the maltstream trends.


I was actually pretty heavily into that scene for awhile, and I guess I still am kinda.  2007 was like the golden year of fidget, when the whole electronic scene blew up, and you had Justice and MSTRKRFT and Boys Noize and then later a whole wave of artists.  I wasn't really into fashion at all then, but people were throwing a lot of kinda underground parties, and I actually Djed at a bunch of them; you'd rent out a church or a gay club on an off night or something and hire a few DJs and charge ten bucks a head and fill the place.  People would dress in a budget Bernard Wilhelm style just to be kinda goofy, indian headdresses and neon and furry things and shit and it was kinda awesome.  Then at some point like two years ago the whole thing had a violent personality shift.  I think what happened is the guido/bro types kinda caught on that there were hot, semi-naked girls on drugs at these things, so all of a sudden there were a whole bunch of guys in Ed Hardy looking kinda sullen except when the DJ played the Jay-Z remix.   Now at any sort of concert like that I can pick out the people I'd want to talk to because they're not wearing neon.

 

296534_244103855642965_123208414399177_612941_658469882_n.jpg

 

So that makes sense, but I still think you can go for something wilder without looking dated.  I'd really like to see some nutty shit on here. 

post #53500 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

"I mix street wear with high fashion. It's never been seen before."
Indeed.

And, um "high fashion urban people"? I'm guessing that he doesn't realize that "urban" is/was a euphemism for "black".

The real trick here is to figure out whether GQ is trolling him, and whether he realizes this. I like his saying that he got on the Jil Sander bandwagon late (well, 12 years after the menswear line launched, and he doesn't seem to understand that while Jil Sander had a hand in J+, she had no had in her eponymous line) and that Raf Simons is "dark", and "trill shit".

If they are trolling him, and I can't believe that they are not, it's kinda sad, because he might be a legitimately stylish guy, but he lacks the background and vocabulary to properly articulate his opinions.
post #53501 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

And, um "high fashion urban people"? I'm guessing that he doesn't realize that "urban" is/was a euphemism for "black".
The real trick here is to figure out whether GQ is trolling him, and whether he realizes this. I like his saying that he got on the Jil Sander bandwagon late (well, 12 years after the menswear line launched, and he doesn't seem to understand that while Jil Sander had a hand in J+, she had no had in her eponymous line) and that Raf Simons is "dark", and "trill shit".

I'd say that's a pretty easy yes: "Check out these garbage-bag coat-ties" and "look at this one! it's comme des garcons!" Come on.
post #53502 of 103580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

I'd say that's a pretty easy yes: "Check out these garbage-bag coat-ties" and "look at this one! it's comme des garcons!" Come on.

Then it's just sad...
post #53503 of 103580
Blanc and noir side zips was such a great purchase, if anyone has been wondering about their shoes/boots, go for it.
post #53504 of 103580

This read like GQ was conducting a Rorschach test.
post #53505 of 103580

"Oh! Comme des Garçons. Wow."

That article was painful

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts