or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 3080

post #46186 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissou View Post

Wow, those are gorgeous. I've been looking for a pair of black boots for winter, and I just can't bring myself to order something like White's. These just might be my Christmas present to myself.

Aren't they? I'm getting the tan version (I never wear black boots, for some reason. Browns and greys, for the most part.) They are nice though. Richard at Shoehealer will be getting some in, and I Julian at AFinePairofShoes: http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-exclusive-collection/products/alfred-sargent-exclusive-lombard will be getting them as well.

Cheers,

Fok.
post #46187 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

You know, I'm not so much against brogue boots since a lot of them look pretty decent, I was considering a pair of the trickers aniline boots for a long time. It's 20 year olds who cream their pants over some brogue shoes in whiskey or coffee or chocolate or some other dark coloured beverage/foodstuff. I honestly have no real logic behind it, most people just end up looking like twee toolbags.
I'm not really in the age-appropriate clothing camp, but I do believe that you have to have a certain "look" to you to pull off certain clothes. It's like, when Uncontrol posts fits, his face and hair and shit I just think "Oh, this looks really natural." Scott does his thing well cause he's got a cool disheveled look going on, etc etc. Baby-face dudes walking around with wingtips, ankle cleavage, and j-crew-esque, workwear-ish shit? Not so much.

I just got some dark brown brogue boots...I don't think I look like a tween toolbag...but I probably do because I am baby faced... shog[1].gif
post #46188 of 99141
Any US retailers other than leffot?
post #46189 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post

HP Photosmart Premium.
This is what I have for home use, and it seems to be okay. The last HP I had was a punchable piece of garbage that wouldn't network properly.
post #46190 of 99141
I love my HP printer. wireless works flawlessly which is awesome, makes arranging computer stuff in a small dorm room so much easier. it would work better if my cot damn roommates didn't steal my ink though.
post #46191 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

You know, I'm not so much against brogue boots since a lot of them look pretty decent, I was considering a pair of the trickers aniline boots for a long time. It's 20 year olds who cream their pants over some brogue shoes in whiskey or coffee or chocolate or some other dark coloured beverage/foodstuff. I honestly have no real logic behind it, most people just end up looking like twee toolbags.
I'm not really in the age-appropriate clothing camp, but I do believe that you have to have a certain "look" to you to pull off certain clothes. It's like, when Uncontrol posts fits, his face and hair and shit I just think "Oh, this looks really natural." Scott does his thing well cause he's got a cool disheveled look going on, etc etc. Baby-face dudes walking around with wingtips, ankle cleavage, and j-crew-esque, workwear-ish shit? Not so much.

k. Going to the bookstore to get some college gears and afterwards to Nike store for Jordans and loose shorts to fit my baby face and college status.
post #46192 of 99141
Sounds like a solid plan. Make sure to get a northface fleece jacket.
post #46193 of 99141
I already have them and some awesome abercrombie and fitch pieces from my senior years spam[1].gif
post #46194 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

You know, I'm not so much against brogue boots since a lot of them look pretty decent, I was considering a pair of the trickers aniline boots for a long time. It's 20 year olds who cream their pants over some brogue shoes in whiskey or coffee or chocolate or some other dark coloured beverage/foodstuff. I honestly have no real logic behind it, most people just end up looking like twee toolbags.
I'm not really in the age-appropriate clothing camp, but I do believe that you have to have a certain "look" to you to pull off certain clothes. It's like, when Uncontrol posts fits, his face and hair and shit I just think "Oh, this looks really natural." Scott does his thing well cause he's got a cool disheveled look going on, etc etc. Baby-face dudes walking around with wingtips, ankle cleavage, and j-crew-esque, workwear-ish shit? Not so much.

Dude, I'm 37, and I think that Zissou is even older. I wear these with jeans and a pullover, mainly, and some sort of melton wool jacket. I'm not a huge fan of the wingtips, anklecleavage, J Crew look, but it's hardly "dressing old". In fact, it's probably the trendiest thing out there right now (i.e. trended hard with the fashion crowd a year or more ago, and is now trickling down). Anyway, the appeal of such boots is not hard to understand - it's fashion that doesn't seem too precious. With more and more men getting into style and fashion, very overtly "maculine" shapes and heavy textures are an easy transition.
post #46195 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Dude, I'm 37, and I think that Zissou is even older.
Shit, man. By a year- probably less.

I'd be just fine if most guys around here (where I live, not on SF. I expect more from SF) at least shopped at J Crew and put some thought into what the hell they were wearing. While at the theater last night, it seems that 90% of the local population thought they would be sitting on their couch with a tall boy of Dr Pepper and microwave popcorn.

If I had bought selvage denim, Tricker's, or even shell Aldens when I was in my 20's instead of dressing head to toe in Banana Republic, I wouldn't have had to completely empty my closet. Not to mention, think of the fadez and shell patina I'd have at this point! I feel like I've lost a decade of my life to poor mall brands.
post #46196 of 99141
I'm talking about like wingtip shoes, not boots. What I dislike is the young crowd here seeking out vintage florsheims or whatever, I have nothing against the boots. I'm probably using brogues wrong or something? Excuse my ignorance, I never looked into it and just use the word from what I gleaned being here. I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere here, probably from my being unclear.

The boots I understand and I think they look good, and I agree that the masculine, rugged look is an easy transition. However, I'm mostly talking about the younger, college age guys walking around in thrifted wingtips, sportscoats, etc which I always equate with an "older" look. I am also extremely ignorant about menswear, so excuse me if I'm being dumb.
post #46197 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissou View Post

Shit, man. By a year- probably less.
I'd be just fine if most guys around here (where I live, not on SF. I expect more from SF) at least shopped at J Crew and put some thought into what the hell they were wearing. While at the theater last night, it seems that 90% of the local population thought they would be sitting on their couch with a tall boy of Dr Pepper and microwave popcorn.
If I had bought selvage denim, Tricker's, or even shell Aldens when I was in my 20's instead of dressing head to toe in Banana Republic, I wouldn't have had to completely empty my closet. Not to mention, think of the fadez and shell patina I'd have at this point! I feel like I've lost a decade of my life to poor mall brands.

This is what I'm getting at. There are certain items that I think appeals more to an older crowd, like workboots etc. The EG lookbook is filled with older guys wearing ridiculously awesome outfits, but when you put those outfits on some younger models in stores, it doesn't look quite right. Would I be wearing some of the stuff I do now when I'm older? I highly doubt it, just because, personally, I think that there is a visible transition in clothing preference as you age. Of course, there are people like Fuuma who can balance it easily and still look great.
post #46198 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

I'm talking about like wingtip shoes, not boots. What I dislike is the young crowd here seeking out vintage florsheims or whatever, I have nothing against the boots. I'm probably using brogues wrong or something? Excuse my ignorance, I never looked into it and just use the word from what I gleaned being here. I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere here, probably from my being unclear.
The boots I understand and I think they look good, and I agree that the masculine, rugged look is an easy transition. However, I'm mostly talking about the younger, college age guys walking around in thrifted wingtips, sportscoats, etc which I always equate with an "older" look. I am also extremely ignorant about menswear, so excuse me if I'm being dumb.

Brogueing are the punched patterns. They were originally designed so that water could more easily escape boots soaked from walking through bogs, so brogueing is traditionally meant for country shoes and boots, though it's become associated with business wear. Brogues are a type of patterning on the upper, and have nothing to do with the type of footwear something is.
post #46199 of 99141
if you're talking about #menswear type bullshit I agree. I'm starting to hate tumblr. saw some du wearing 3 sport coats layered on top of each other or something like that this AM. it's turned into a "who can wear the most ridiculous/expensive ish possible" contest and it all looks so bad. I know my wardrobe is wear as hell, but I still think i can recognize when half of these guys look like fools. or maybe I'm 100% off base. I don't actually care.

this is a perfect example
tumblr_ltzjy75VYs1qeuobq

sorry bro but you look terrible.
post #46200 of 99141
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post

just catching up on this thread but i can't miss an opportunity to recommend ben marcus's 'notable american women'. the best contemporary american novel i've read for ages, particularly if you come via European literature. he's influenced by kafka, borges, thomas bernhard, but completely original at the same time.


I dunno, he might seem original if you haven't read his classmate Mathew Derby, or practically any other Brown/McSweeney's circle jerk author during that period. And sure, everyone name drops Borges, Bernhard et al, but his work has more in common with the US postmodern fiction of the 60's (note his schooling again, under Robert Coover).

Not to take anything away from Marcus, but I'd grab his first book (it's shorter, and does the same things) and put him way down the to read list for someone with limited time for contemporary American lit.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also, since '97 or so, I believe Infinite Jest to be the answer to every question....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts