or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 228  

post #3406 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakz View Post
Bunch of brands get hyped yearly, right? Remember last year with the B.Son vag-looking hoodies? B&S flooded with them after a few months. W+H will be different, I feel, if only b/c it has "safe" designs.
I don't think the designs are safe, or are even good looking. W+H is trying to reinvent itself from a streetwear oriented hoodie brand into something workwear-esque, and I think they're failing pretty badly. another big thing for me is having a brand that has repeatable consistent basic offerings. yes I know MMM shirting is probably a rip off at retail, but when it fits the same, looks the same and I can buy at $70 a pop from ebay and yoox.. its a better value than having to buy and resell shit hoping for a good fit also you cant try on most of these brands in person
post #3407 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
producing something that is popular is a talent

also not all things are analogous you fucking twilight reject.

That's a little harsh.



I have to agree though, I feel that's an ignorant statement on whoever was interviewed. If someone is ambitious and talented and were interested in starting a company, how does that mean you lack "real" talent?
post #3408 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior View Post
That's a little harsh.



I have to agree though, I feel that's an ignorant statement on whoever was interviewed. If someone is ambitious and talented and were interested in starting a company, how does that mean you lack "real" talent?

I agree, in fact I think it isn't just ignorant, but also a fucking stupid statement. There are a lot of great smaller companies out there.
post #3409 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior View Post
That's a little harsh. I have to agree though, I feel that's an ignorant statement on whoever was interviewed. If someone is ambitious and talented and were interested in starting a company, how does that mean you lack "real" talent?
the point is that if someone has real talent, they will be recognized. I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that it seems like a lot of these brands are designed by complete amateurs. so many of the pieces are ridiculously overdesigned.. they lack a simplicity in form and a cleanness I recognize in a lot of designer pieces. I think maybe part of that is the difference between someone with training + experience + a design staff vs someone who just had a cool idea for clothes I've talked about this before, but some of the biggest offenders of this (and ironically some of the biggest 'hyped' brands here) are: nice collective, KZO and apolis activism. I see W+H going this route too with pieces like their varsity jacket.
post #3410 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
I don't think the designs are safe, or are even good looking. W+H is trying to reinvent itself from a streetwear oriented hoodie brand into something workwear-esque, and I think they're failing pretty badly.
I have to agree. I actually liked SS09 better. I don't like the workwear vibe in the details of every piece. The thing's I still want are some of the short sleeve T's and some denim. That's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
another big thing for me is having a brand that has repeatable consistent basic offerings. yes I know MMM shirting is probably a rip off at retail, but when it fits the same, looks the same and I can buy at $70 a pop from ebay and yoox.. its a better value than having to buy and resell shit hoping for a good fit also you cant try on most of these brands in person
I wish I could try on MMM/JS so bad. Nothing around here. I pretty much resign myself to casting my eBay and Yoox net's fairly regularly. RE: Krane - My outerwear is from FW08, so is really simple. Some of the toggles on the FW09 stuff kinda took away for me. The bags are still awesome though.
post #3411 of 109053
EDIT: Meant to say "W+H is styled similarly to J.Crew." I hear things fit well and I like those wool shirt-jackets but it's been way overhyped for what it is (IMO).
post #3412 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
the point is that if someone has real talent, they will be recognized.

I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that it seems like a lot of these brands are designed by complete amateurs. so many of the pieces are ridiculously overdesigned.. they lack a simplicity in form and a cleanness I recognize in a lot of designer pieces.

I think maybe part of that is the difference between someone with training + experience + a design staff vs someone who just had a cool idea for clothes

I've talked about this before, but some of the biggest offenders of this (and ironically some of the biggest 'hyped' brands here) are: nice collective, KZO and apolis activism. I see W+H going this route too with pieces like their varsity jacket.

What counts as designer? You'll only buy from brands with runway shows?
post #3413 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakz View Post
Ditto...when I say "safe" I feel W+H FW09 is the natural progression for ppl who once bought J.Crew.

I dunno, I would say the natural progression would probably be EG or even something like Burkman Brothers.

one of my favorite W+H Designs were the fleece mackinaw jackets they did last F/W. Instead of making this design (or even playing with the fabrics), they tossed EVERYTHING out the window and now have some chambray outerwear... for winter.
post #3414 of 109053
Teger would make a great talk radio host.
post #3415 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
producing something that is popular is a talent

also not all things are analogous you fucking twilight reject.

post #3416 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post
What counts as designer? You'll only buy from brands with runway shows?
no, because I don't see myself buying rag & bone. the brands that I've been liking pieces from / stalking are: MMM helmut lang neil barrett tim hamilton paul smith I also really like a lot acne and raf by raf, although these two aren't really "designer". I guess the biggest thing that bugs me about a lot of these brands is a lack of consistency. at least have the courage of your convictions and stick with an aesthetic for more than a season.
post #3417 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
the point is that if someone has real talent, they will be recognized.

I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that it seems like a lot of these brands are designed by complete amateurs. so many of the pieces are ridiculously overdesigned.. they lack a simplicity in form and a cleanness I recognize in a lot of designer pieces.

I think maybe part of that is the difference between someone with training + experience + a design staff vs someone who just had a cool idea for clothes


Even designers are prone to making mistakes on occasion.

Are these mid-range niche brands not recognized? There's clearly a whole market which does well enough in this economic climate for brands like W+H, BoO, etc. Clearly those brands do something right, and are successful. They do have talent. Whether it's talent in design, marketing, etc. is another story.


I can agree that there are several pieces that aren't all that wonderful and I can relate to a reaction to the fanboyism of this website, but hey it's still a website. If you're frustrated with the tastes of half the members of this board, just ignore it or move on. I'm not saying "hey we don't want you here" or anything like that, but there's no need to hate on other peoples tastes.
post #3418 of 109053
It sounds like you are trying to attribute sound reasons for a pretty visceral reaction, but that doesn't mean that your stated rationale are sound. FWIW, I buy both contemporary and designer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
- most of these niche brands are ugly
Agreed, but so are most designer brands. The difference is that ugly luxury brands generally still look very... luxurious (see Brioni casualwear), while ugly niche brands often just look... cheap.

Quote:
I'm tired of competing with the internet hype machine
Elaborate? So, you are only going to buy designers that are not talked about on the internet? Or just on Styleforum or Superfuture? Either way, you are really limiting your options for a pretty trivial reason, imo.

Quote:
- I can better quality clothing far cheaper
That's simply untrue, unless you are *really* digging bargain basement. Actually, some mid-market brands represent the best quality/price ratios, because they are catering to a demographic that demands a certain level of quality but where price resistance above specific pricepoints is very high, and much more so than the luxury shopping. That said, there are lots of examples of niche brands the quality of which sucks, hard.

Quote:
- I'm tired of brands changing their entire aesthetic and sizing season to season
Actually, designer brands are more likely to have radical changes (except in their staples) from season to season, and especially if there is a changing of the (creative director) guard. Midmarket brands, by way of contrast, tend to settle comfortably into a niche and stay there after a few seasons spent finding an identity.

Quote:
- I once read an interview with someone about female shoe designers. the interviewer asked 'do you like any independent shoe designers?'. and the interviewee replied no, because anyone with real talent was hired by a legitimate company. I feel that this is probably true of most things: talent rises to the top.
I'd have to say that there are problems with this little bit of specious logic is that:
1) Independent designers have often spent a lot of years working for large companies, in a variety of functions. Just off the top of my head: Ken Chow was with Marc Jacobs and Cloak prior to striking out on his own with Krane, Simon Spurr (SPURR) was with RL.
2) Many of the most revered designers have never worked for a large fashion house, and started out as, essentially, independents. This group includes pretty much all of the Antwerp Six + Martin Margiela, Ralph Lauren (well, he was a salesman, but that hardly counts), and Rick Owens.

I dunno Ben. You can do whatever you want, but you might want to figure out if there is anything other than a gut reaction supporting your decision.
post #3419 of 109053
All fashion is fucking stupid, just have fun with it and enjoy it...
post #3420 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior View Post
Even designers are prone to making mistakes on occasion.

Are these mid-range niche brands not recognized? There's clearly a whole market which does well enough in this economic climate for brands like W+H, BoO, etc. Clearly those brands do something right, and are successful. They do have talent. Whether it's talent in design, marketing, etc. is another story.


I can agree that there are several pieces that aren't all that wonderful and I can relate to a reaction to the fanboyism of this website, but hey it's still a website. If you're frustrated with the tastes of half the members of this board, just ignore it or move on. I'm not saying "hey we don't want you here" or anything like that, but there's no need to hate on other peoples tastes.

boo is not a mid market niche brand, it's sold on the designer floor of barneys NY.

W+H is the definition of a niche brand. it is well known on blogs and obsessive clothing forums.. and nowhere else.

I would also say designers make a lot of really ugly shit, even those I like. just ridiculous garbage.

but its hard to fuck up the basics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts