or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 14

post #196 of 99052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lel View Post
It's hard, really hard. First off because steam punk never really existed, and it's a small genre compared to many other "aesthetics" (sci-fi, fantasy, etc). Not to mention the fact that steampunk itself is a blend of Victorian Sci-Fi, so people tend to focus more on the Victorian aspect and ignore what differentiates steam punk from "Victorian inspired fashions" (I don't know either, FYI). Off the top of my head, the only real way to translate it into an actual, wearable aesthetic (wearable is a loose term here, but if people can walk out onto the streets in GothNinja style then I think we can be lenient on what is wearable) it would combine Victorian influences with a touch of WWII inspired influences (not military, but think of flight jackets and what pilots would wear).
I don't necessarily think military is such a bad look.
post #197 of 99052
Military can be a great look when it's done right. Masculine, classic, rugged. I wonder if our country's endless involvement with war has something to do with how much of an influence it's become.
post #198 of 99052
Come on Robert, no one ever said bad, I just said it's not "steampunk". Don't be putting words in my mouth. EDIT: RCG, will respond later. Too tired at the moment.
post #199 of 99052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lel View Post
Come on Robert, no one ever said bad, I just said it's not "steampunk".

Don't be putting words in my mouth.


I don't be. Wasn't saying you were, I was just making another observation about it.
post #200 of 99052
People, especially people on SF, pay too much attention to individual items of clothing and their respective qualities. How to put together a whole outfit, even with some cheap/common elements, is much more important.
post #201 of 99052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
People, especially people on SF, pay too much attention to individual items of clothing and their respective qualities. How to put together a whole outfit, even with some cheap/common elements, is much more important.
I agree wholeheartedly. However, I think part of it is some people taking a very collector's approach to clothing. And some people getting more satisfaction out of a interestingly detailed or unique piece in a bland outfit rather than a well composed outfit comprised of lower quality/cheaper items. I mean, whatever floats your boat though. People on this forum spend a lot on clothes so i think the best course of action is whatever delivers the most satisfaction, while still looking solid (qualifier thrown in to prevent the "well i get satisfaction from ed hardy" logic )
post #202 of 99052
I hate hoodies.
post #203 of 99052
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. However, I think part of it is some people taking a very collector's approach to clothing. And some people getting more satisfaction out of a interestingly detailed or unique piece in a bland outfit rather than a well composed outfit comprised of lower quality/cheaper items. I mean, whatever floats your boat though. People on this forum spend a lot on clothes so i think the best course of action is whatever delivers the most satisfaction, while still looking solid (qualifier thrown in to prevent the "well i get satisfaction from ed hardy" logic )

I agree with this and I think I actually have this problem a little bit. I get caught up thinking about individual pieces and give less thought to make sure everything works as well as it could. Good thing to always keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPi View Post
I hate hoodies.

Usually I do too, though I just bought my girlfriend a Dunderdon hoodie and now I want one for myself. Really solid construction, good fit, super comfy and slightly more interesting than usual design with a higher zipper. Best part is they retail for 100 USD and always make it to sale time, got my lady firend's for fifty bucks. Destroys all other hoodies in the price range.
post #204 of 99052
That's funny - I've had a similar experience. I think women can look great in hoodies. But I'm not crazy about men wearing them.
post #205 of 99052
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPi View Post
That's funny - I've had a similar experience. I think women can look great in hoodies. But I'm not crazy about men wearing them.

I agree.
post #206 of 99052
^^ Perhaps you can find a Sweeney Todd inspired one?! Come on guys, this is some lame shit. Its like saying chinos only looks good on women. A quality hoodie in a decent fit is classic, cant argue with that in a casual context.
post #207 of 99052
What's w/ the trend in big poofy pants with the ankle-hugging crotches lately? The Satorialist seems to think they are the cat's meow.
post #208 of 99052
I wish there was a store that sold Skin/Mod clothes in the States. Sort of like a JtG, but in the U.S. I love their stuff, but having to constantly convert the currency and shipping rates are killing me.

Looking for some place that has a variety of Fred Perry items, decent Ben Sherman shirts, different brands of Harringtons, desert boots, Loakes, Doc Martens, raw denim, etc. If they carried records, I would probably jizz in my pants.
post #209 of 99052
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero84 View Post
I wish there was a store that sold Skin/Mod clothes in the States. Sort of like a JtG, but in the U.S. I love their stuff, but having to constantly convert the currency and shipping rates are killing me.

Looking for some place that has a variety of Fred Perry items, decent Ben Sherman shirts, different brands of Harringtons, desert boots, Loakes, Doc Martens, raw denim, etc. If they carried records, I would probably jizz in my pants.
I take it you're not from LA: http://www.posers-hollywood.com/
post #210 of 99052
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
I take it you're not from LA: http://www.posers-hollywood.com/



Oh... Why, thank you very much.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts