or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 7262  

post #108916 of 109053
Does anyone know any companies that make decent flat caps?
post #108917 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by redc2 View Post

Does anyone know any companies that make decent flat caps?
Stetson make nice silk/cashmere caps, and Shoebuy generally has decent sitewide sales. Otherwise, Lock & Co Hatters are great for wool/linen caps, and they can be had on sale sometimes from Mr Porter.
post #108918 of 109053
flat caps are the devil
post #108919 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctone View Post

flat caps are the devil

I hope its less of a devil then baseball caps which I wear regular.
post #108920 of 109053

 

aka "pay me for my genital drippings".

post #108921 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Anyone familiar with Global Blue? I'm interested in ordering something from an overseas company and they said they don't deduct for VAT, but they offer Global Blue tax refunds. I get the impression that Global Blue works with foreign customers and refunds their VAT. Is that right? If so, anyone know how this works and how smoothly it runs?

Only experience i have is getting VAT back at the airport when I leave the EU. Global blue handles this in 95% of the cases.
post #108922 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post

Anyone familiar with Global Blue? I'm interested in ordering something from an overseas company and they said they don't deduct for VAT, but they offer Global Blue tax refunds. I get the impression that Global Blue works with foreign customers and refunds their VAT. Is that right? If so, anyone know how this works and how smoothly it runs?

They handle the refunds and take a fee.
post #108923 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh View Post

Only experience i have is getting VAT back at the airport when I leave the EU. Global blue handles this in 95% of the cases.

Oh that's right. I think you have to be at one of those stations though to get your refund? Weird that this EU store is telling me I have to go through them for a VAT refund, rather than just get it deducted automatically, when I'm buying online
post #108924 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


Oh that's right. I think you have to be at one of those stations though to get your refund? Weird that this EU store is telling me I have to go through them for a VAT refund, rather than just get it deducted automatically, when I'm buying online.

So, small stores like PN/P actually use that office, and just do it for you, which is why your VAT discount is less than the national rate.  Dealing with VAT for a small store is a huge PITA, and a lot won't do it unless they get decent volume.  I don't know who you are talking about, so it could just be that they are lazy.

post #108925 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

So, small stores like PN/P actually use that office, and just do it for you, which is why your VAT discount is less than the national rate.  Dealing with VAT for a small store is a huge PITA, and a lot won't do it unless they get decent volume.  I don't know who you are talking about, so it could just be that they are lazy.

Don't they have to just fill out some application to deduct VAT across the board for oversea customers? I guess it could be an involved process, but it seems like you're missing out on a lot international business this way.

I was looking at Shoes & Shirts in Maastricht and Degand in Brussells. Neither will deduct VAT.
post #108926 of 109053

File under "Worst kept secrets about the retail industry"

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/19/jcpenney-prices_n_4986649.html

post #108927 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


Don't they have to just fill out some application to deduct VAT across the board for oversea customers? I guess it could be an involved process, but it seems like you're missing out on a lot international business this way.

I was looking at Shoes & Shirts in Maastricht and Degand in Brussells. Neither will deduct VAT.

It's a bit more of a pain than than, from what I understand, and (apparently) varies from country to country.  I've obviously never done it myself.  Sure, a lot of people miss out on international business, but international business incurs higher overhead for lower margins (that the vendor swallows a big chunk of the shipping is nearly a given). A small vendor, like, No Man Walks Alone is not really set up for overseas orders.  Shipping has to be handled separately.  Not sure about payments.  And a LOT of people really just don't want to deal with the hassle, especially when they may not have concrete evidence that the additional sales would offset the increased overhead costs.  I think that the power of inertia is highly underestimated.  

post #108928 of 109053

Not to mention fraud rate is way higher and legal recourse is virtually impossible across borders.

post #108929 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieworkwear View Post


Don't they have to just fill out some application to deduct VAT across the board for oversea customers? I guess it could be an involved process, but it seems like you're missing out on a lot international business this way.

I was looking at Shoes & Shirts in Maastricht and Degand in Brussells. Neither will deduct VAT.

Just took a look.  Saw that both were "Classic Menswear" stores.  im(fairly extensive)e, the proprietors of those stores are generally the most rulebound AND most resistant to change.  I know a fair number of streetwear and contemporary stores/chains that have invested considerably in marketing and selling abroad, and/or are just ready and willing to play fast and loose with tax laws.  

 

I think that it is a combination of the age and outlook of the proprietors and their customers, the global demand, for say, the latest designer Stan Smith collabs, and the relatively small pool of customers used to the old "black book" way of doing things, that drive these things forward.  There are still a sizable number of stores, many of them "classic menswear" stores, that really don't like that the world is changing, and are not particularly enthusiastic about changing with it.  The growth that I see is not in those stores, but in pure play multi brand stores like Mr Porter or No Man Walks Alone, and in online MTM and MTO, where customers feel that they are getting both a good value proposition as well as "modern" customer service.

post #108930 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
 

Not to mention fraud rate is way higher and legal recourse is virtually impossible across borders.

And yet, every streetwear & denim store I know in Europe does a ton of business overseas.  And that is category with a lot more fraud, traditionally.  I know half a dozen French stores, selling things like Visvim and Common Proijects, and Junya, who tell me that nearly ALL of their sales are to the US (mostly west coast).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts