or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 7158  

post #107356 of 109053
slip ons would look better in your wardrobe imo
post #107357 of 109053

A moment ago, I was watching a video featuring Jeffrey Ying and thinking to myself. "What is the core of what attracts me to a person's style?"

 

Because his outfits were great, totally fun, fine, complicatedly laid out and all. His sense of style did not make me envy the man, as it does with some. I realized, it was because he was completely fashion obsessed and it showed.

 

Next, I determined this: No matter what your style, you've got to make it a nearly-effortless distilled essence. Otherwise, what impresses people won't be anything more personal than a shared taste for ice cream flavors.

post #107358 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

A moment ago, I was watching a video featuring Jeffrey Ying and thinking to myself. "What is the core of what attracts me to a person's style?"

Because his outfits were great, totally fun, fine, complicatedly laid out and all. His sense of style did not make me envy the man, as it does with some. I realized, it was because he was completely fashion obsessed and it showed.

Next, I determined this: No matter what your style, you've got to make it a nearly-effortless distilled essence. Otherwise, what impresses people won't be anything more personal than a shared taste for ice cream flavors.

I can't help but question the self-awareness of a man who wants to believe, against all rational ways of conceiving such a thing as a car, that automobile vehicles operate through the will of the driver and who then proceeds to watch a documentary about car mechanics. If you wanted to keep your fairytale ideas alive you shouldn't have looked under the hood.
post #107359 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post


I can't help but question the self-awareness of a man who wants to believe, against all rational ways of conceiving such a thing as a car, that automobile vehicles operate through the will of the driver and who then proceeds to watch a documentary about car mechanics. If you wanted to keep your fairytale ideas alive you shouldn't have looked under the hood.

 

The bonding of man and machine is another perfect example, but not from a standpoint of needlessly bashing the intellectual exploration of the realm of the senses...

 

In the world of motorcycles, there exists what we call the "park and polish" crowd. They have gorgeous, expensive, meticulously-detailed, fine machines, yet when they ride them, it is often through a visibly great effort - both to not blemish the machine and to concentrate on the actual ride. To a new rider, they may seem enviable with their flashy rides. But an experienced motorcyclist will wait to see how he expresses himself in the experience and security of a good ride (even cornering, good engine manipulation, etc.) - before being too impressed with the man behind the machine.

 

Does he express himself as if effortlessly, actualizing his will and essence into the joy of living?

 

If not, his expression is bankrupt of substance.

post #107360 of 109053
/rolls eyes
post #107361 of 109053
A few remarks:

1) You seem to think your value judgment has to do with characteristics of the object (i.e. Jeffrey) however it has to do with the information you obtained. To steal from Kripke's "A puzzle about belief", if you encountered Jeffrey as Jeff, thought he was a different person, assumed a different narrative about where his "style" comes from and proceeded to assess his look as effortless, you'd be stuck in a paradox where you'd believe "Jeffrey" to lack style and "Jeff" to look fucking awesome in his distilled effortlessness.

2) It is very easy to look good with a a few hours of effort and some budget. For a relatively slim guy this could mean going to Acne, buying slim slacks and jeans in black, crisp hidden placket shirts in white, sweatshirts and sweaters in navy and grey, sneakers in white and zip boots in black, a bomber and leather jacket in black. You could add some current street cred with a pair of white Nike huarache or grey Reebok pump furys, some elegance with an AMI grey overcoat and 2-3 blazers in navy and a fun colour (say red). Who cares.

3) The really interesting people when it comes to style aren't trying to simply look good but to make their stylistic obsessions come alive through their clothing choices. Maybe they want to look like Jacques de Bascher looking like Proust or are into 19th century potentates filtered through a 20th century bespoke look like Jeffrey. The strength and clarity of their obsession shines through in such a piercing way that there is no time left to care for the nice man with a sweatshirt in number 2.




Note: A psychoanalyst would tell you that this has nothing to do with style and that you suppressed a memory of seeing your parents having sex.
post #107362 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

A few remarks:

1) You seem to think your value judgment has to do with characteristics of the object (i.e. Jeffrey) however it has to do with the information you obtained. To steal from Kripke's "A puzzle about belief", if you encountered Jeffrey as Jeff, thought he was a different person, assumed a different narrative about where his "style" comes from and proceeded to assess his look as effortless, you'd be stuck in a paradox where you'd believe "Jeffrey" to lack style and "Jeff" to look fucking awesome in his distilled effortlessness.

2) It is very easy to look good with a a few hours of effort and some budget. For a relatively slim guy this could mean going to Acne, buying slim slacks and jeans in black, crisp hidden placket shirts in white, sweatshirts and sweaters in navy and grey, sneakers in white and zip boots in black, a bomber and leather jacket in black. You could add some current street cred with a pair of white Nike huarache or grey Reebok pump furys, some elegance with an AMI grey overcoat and 2-3 blazers in navy and a fun colour (say red). Who cares.

3) The really interesting people when it comes to style aren't trying to simply look good but to make their stylistic obsessions come alive through their clothing choices. Maybe they want to look like Jacques de Bascher looking like Proust or are into 19th century potentates filtered through a 20th century bespoke look like Jeffrey. The strength and clarity of their obsession shines through in such a piercing way that there is no time left to care for the nice man with a sweatshirt in number 2.




Note: A psychoanalyst would tell you that this has nothing to do with style and that you suppressed a memory of seeing your parents having sex.

I'm 100% sure most parents never had sex.
post #107363 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

 

Does he express himself as if effortlessly, actualizing his will and essence into the joy of living?

 

If not, his expression is bankrupt of substance.

 

post #107364 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Yeah it wasn't really planned TBH, it just pops a little bit in the pic, not even sure the two blues match in real life. Anyway this was a mostly wanker outfit to go see an expo at fondation Cartier then meet friends who really dislike the trainers (my friend was wearing the other colourway so we looked like total assholes).

Quote:
The “Fashion Victim” Fuccboi

Favorite brands: Raf Simons, Saint Laurent, Maison Margiela, Dries Van Noten

A variation on the Kanye copycat, this individual focuses his attention on wearing nothing but designer clothes, and wants you to know it. Before you cry out that this isn’t a fuccboi, take a closer look. This guy buys designers not because he actually cares about what they produce, but because he heard that someone like Virgil Abloh is a fan of Raf Simons, so he thinks he should be, too. It’s not a fuccboi move at first glance, but if you only started copping Givenchy and Raf because your favorite Internet Trendsetter™ does, plus you're name-dropping constantly and your Instagram captions start to look like Style.com's runway show line-up, then welcome to Fuccboiville.

hilarious. fuuma's been wearing raf longer than virgil abloh even heard about raf
post #107365 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

The bonding of man and machine is another perfect example, but not from a standpoint of needlessly bashing the intellectual exploration of the realm of the senses...

In the world of motorcycles, there exists what we call the "park and polish" crowd. They have gorgeous, expensive, meticulously-detailed, fine machines, yet when they ride them, it is often through a visibly great effort - both to not blemish the machine and to concentrate on the actual ride. To a new rider, they may seem enviable with their flashy rides. But an experienced motorcyclist will wait to see how he expresses himself in the experience and security of a good ride (even cornering, good engine manipulation, etc.) - before being too impressed with the man behind the machine.

Does he express himself as if effortlessly, actualizing his will and essence into the joy of living?

If not, his expression is bankrupt of substance.

I don't really understand what you're saying, but I think you're fedorable.
post #107366 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post

Been thinking about including some new trainers in my rotation. It would still be 97% boots but these have my eye, could be pretty easy to pair with suits etc. Good idea?

 

 

El Patrón does not wear sneakers. El Patrón wears only boots, or he wades barefoot in the surf. 

post #107367 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

The bonding of man and machine is another perfect example, but not from a standpoint of needlessly bashing the intellectual exploration of the realm of the senses...

In the world of motorcycles, there exists what we call the "park and polish" crowd. They have gorgeous, expensive, meticulously-detailed, fine machines, yet when they ride them, it is often through a visibly great effort - both to not blemish the machine and to concentrate on the actual ride. To a new rider, they may seem enviable with their flashy rides. But an experienced motorcyclist will wait to see how he expresses himself in the experience and security of a good ride (even cornering, good engine manipulation, etc.) - before being too impressed with the man behind the machine.

Does he express himself as if effortlessly, actualizing his will and essence into the joy of living?

If not, his expression is bankrupt of substance.

At some point — if it has not happened already — you will suspect that people hate you because they are not as sophisticated or intelligent as you.

I wanted it to be clear that people hate you because you are an insufferable moron.
post #107368 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post

Been thinking about including some new trainers in my rotation. It would still be 97% boots but these have my eye, could be pretty easy to pair with suits etc. Good idea?


El Patrón does not wear sneakers. El Patrón wears only boots, or he wades barefoot in the surf

You and Mike have a point man. I almost made a bad choice there, thanks SF. Funny enough I actually have thought about posting barefoot fits
post #107369 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

The bonding of man and machine is another perfect example, but not from a standpoint of needlessly bashing the intellectual exploration of the realm of the senses...

In the world of motorcycles, there exists what we call the "park and polish" crowd. They have gorgeous, expensive, meticulously-detailed, fine machines, yet when they ride them, it is often through a visibly great effort - both to not blemish the machine and to concentrate on the actual ride. To a new rider, they may seem enviable with their flashy rides. But an experienced motorcyclist will wait to see how he expresses himself in the experience and security of a good ride (even cornering, good engine manipulation, etc.) - before being too impressed with the man behind the machine.

Does he express himself as if effortlessly, actualizing his will and essence into the joy of living?

If not, his expression is bankrupt of substance.

At some point — if it has not happened already — you will suspect that people hate you because they are not as sophisticated or intelligent as you.

I wanted it to be clear that people hate you because you are an insufferable moron.

that's harsh. just a cringey dude writing cringey stuffs.
post #107370 of 109053
The truth can be harsh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts