Not all stocks, bonds, and mutual funds are good investments. Some are. Some aren't. Much more likely to do well with these investments than the ones discussed on the previous page, however.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on Yesterday at 7:03 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 7118post #106756 of 1090533/10/15 at 3:31pmpost #106757 of 1090533/10/15 at 3:32pmpost #106758 of 1090533/10/15 at 3:33pmpost #106759 of 1090533/10/15 at 3:37pmpost #106760 of 1090533/10/15 at 3:44pmpost #106761 of 1090533/10/15 at 3:55pmpost #106762 of 1090533/10/15 at 4:37pmQuote:
I am generally against the whole need to rationalize trivial purchases. Really liking something is reason enough.Quote:Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Can the same be said for wine and comic books? Maybe. I don't know. But because I don't know, I would not say "all wine and comic books make for terrible investments." Why? Because there are probably a few - a few - comic books and bottles of wine out there that might make for a good investment. But I don't know that. So I won't touch that subject.
Now belts... truly do make for terrible investments.
Some comic books have incredible resale value.
Belts are good for wearing around your waist. I think that Alpha-M would say that they are also a great investment in yourself.post #106763 of 1090533/10/15 at 5:41pmpost #106764 of 1090533/10/15 at 5:45pmpost #106765 of 1090533/10/15 at 5:53pmThere are a lot of people who like to diversify their investment strategy outside of traditional equity & fixed income.
One of the primary investment vehicle for Americans is real estate (invest in their home equity). Is that a safe/good investment? It's not very diversified, that's for sure.
Lots of people with quite a bit of $ to invest, look for alternative asset classes to add low correlation assets to their mix - gold is the classic one, art is another one, wine is definitely an investment asset class (there are people on this very forum who are either wine investment experts or actually run wine funds). Watches is not an investment class as well developed as art or wine yet, but there is absolutely an element of investment and speculation in some WIS circles. There are flippers, there are people who develop relationships with the boutiques to get first dibs on hot Ltd Editions, etc....
It's clearly not a "safe" investment vehicle on its own but I don't see why it wouldn't be one asset class in an overall investment portfolio for someone who either knows what he is doing/buying or is well counseled on the matter. It is not delusional. I've essentially be wearing watches for free since I bought my first watch in 1999. Every single watch I own, I could sell now for more than I paid for (maybe not inflation-adjusted), which means that they're on free loan to me until the next owner.
Edited by gdl203 - 3/10/15 at 6:05pmpost #106766 of 1090533/10/15 at 6:08pmpost #106767 of 1090533/10/15 at 6:10pm
You could probably make a shitload of money out of selling records if you know what to look for.
I mean, you've got stuff like Loefah's Woman/Midnight that drops a limited ed release of 300 copies for ~$10 that's selling on the secondary market for at least $300 now :/post #106768 of 1090533/10/15 at 6:58pmpost #106769 of 1090533/10/15 at 7:21pmpost #106770 of 1090533/10/15 at 7:56pm
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 29 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 1 minute ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 9 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 24 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 27 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 27 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...