Well, my premise is that you're living in an area where real estate appreciates over time, without fail...like California. It probably is a harder decision in other places.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/1/17 at 7:56pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 7082post #106216 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:21ampost #106217 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:25ampost #106218 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:31am
Well, they charge for the service they provide, yeah. I think it's worth it if you have the budget (disclaimer, my wife is a designer, so I am naturally biased).
If you're friends with a designer, they could possibly hook you up with a discount sans commission though.post #106219 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:31ampost #106220 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:32ampost #106221 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:35am
and it recovered, fail again in 2009. where is it now? through the roof.
its easy to point to something like that as a rationalization to continue to what is easy, which is help pay your landlords mortgage while he sits on all that equity.post #106222 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:36amQuote:
This is simply not true. There are plenty of areas in California that have never recovered from the housing crash and most likely, never will. Just go to the East Bay and check it out. It seems to be true for highly desirably areas in major metropolitan areas, but you are a pretty affluent person to be able to buy in San Francisco. Even in Marin, which is relatively inexpensive, and is a super zip, the median house price hovers around $900K. That is simply out of reach for a lot of people. In order to pay the mortgage and *not* be in the critical housing group (more than 25% of disposable income going to housing costs), you are looking at a $150-$175K HHI. That is about 2.5x the national median HHI for households of four (about $58K)post #106223 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:39amQuote:
I think real estate is usually a good long term investment but this whole mindset of treating your short term "equity" like an atm is one that was hopefully cured in the latest crash.
If not, we can always look to the next one.post #106224 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:40amQuote:
Again, this is speaking from a position of relative privilege.
Even if they could somehow manage to pay the mortgage and property taxes, a lot of people wouldn't even be approved for a loan in ANY desirable area, which is where the appreciation will always be.post #106225 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:40amQuote:
My point is that you can get stuck in a situation. In the long run we're all dead yada yada yada ...
If you need to move because of family or career reasons, you might not be able to find a buyer at the time and price you need. So you can get stuck with mortgage payments and not even be living in the place. A house can be limbo for a while.
Selling a house isn't the same as listing a jacket on eBay.
My last apartment sold for $800k (I wasn't the buyer, obviously). My landlord was stuck trying to sell it for about two years. It was lowered from a million to $800k. He sold it cause he had to move his family back to the Philippines.post #106226 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:41ampost #106227 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:42am
hey, im just saying if you are lucky enough to buy a house, then by all means do it, it'll be the best thing to put your money...as opposed to what we do here, which is probably one of the worst things you can do with money (buy expensive clothes).
Sure, you need the actual money to do so...but I was initially responding to the thought that you had to live there for 30 years. You don't.post #106228 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:44amQuote:
An extremely long term investment and generally highly non-liquid asset.post #106229 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:47ampost #106230 of 1090533/2/15 at 11:54amI think I disagree with you guys. It's better to be building equity with that money than throwing it away for rent, plus some of it is tax deductible. Even if you loose some money in the end, you have to compare it to what you would have lost paying rent. Like my rent is over a thousand dollars. I could get something equivalen/better for $150,000, the mortgage on that would be about $600-700. In that situation I ask why do I bother renting.
I don't like in NYC or Cali though, which maybe that would make me more hesitant. And I'm not talking about $800,000 apartments.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 11 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 22 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 25 minutes ago
- › The (semi-)official "slutty t-shirts" thread 36 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 40 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 43 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 43 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 45 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...