Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 11/29/16 at 11:24pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Random fashion thoughts - Page 6921post #103801 of 1090531/7/15 at 5:53pmfoking sheet this Raf/Ruby parka just went on sale @ RSVP gallery but I just got an Ervell parka from Notre. Now I know the feeling when you bought something that you don't really really want but the price is good and it fits so you buy it and then you find out that what you really really want goes on sale @mike868y
post #103802 of 1090531/7/15 at 6:06pmpost #103803 of 1090531/7/15 at 7:41pmI want to get a navy suit. I never wear suits, so I don't want to pay a lot. Last year, I wore a suit maybe twice. Where can I buy a navy suit?
I want to get some dress shoes. I never wear dress shoes, so I don't want to pay a lot. What should I look for?
I want to buy Cosmic Wonder stuff. I know where to get it. I know where to get it.post #103804 of 1090531/7/15 at 7:45pmHow much is not a lot? And what kind of suit?
I don't know a ton about suits and I'm sure there's a lot of people more informed than me on it but first things that come to mind are:
Our Legacy seperates (a lot around on sales right now)
Yoox seperatespost #103805 of 1090531/7/15 at 7:47pmpost #103806 of 1090531/7/15 at 7:50pmNot a lot to me is like... under $300. I know that's nowhere close to getting anything quality for a suit but as much as I try to justify it I really can't. To me it's not an investment I really care for at the time. Ideally I could get something cool like MMM or Dries or some bullshit but that's not happening.
Good call on AE. I will look out for those.post #103807 of 1090531/7/15 at 8:14pm
@gtrans if you're familiar with proxying check out the UA webstore.. they have a nice discount going on. I haven't personally tried their suits but I have a cashmere turtleneck and an alpaca+wool pullover from them and i like them. Fits the asian build v well.
(and they also have all the measurements you need)post #103808 of 1090531/7/15 at 8:44pmQuote:
So, this sorta sounds like a Classic menswear thing, but I think that having a few good suits and a tuxedo in your closet, is never a bad idea. First of all, there are definitely big gradations in the quality of a good suit. Yes, a lot of it will come down to fit, which comes down to having a good alterations tailor, but there is a world of difference between a $300 suit and a $800 suit. Above that, it's harder to tell. Anyone who can tell the difference between a $1.5K suit and a $5K suit, as long as both are altered to fit you well, is probably either a professional, or a liar.
This time of year, there are tons of options on Yoox - 6 pages of blue suits, total. Go there first. The European drop is usually 7", rather than 6". This is good if you are slightly athletic or wider through the shoulders. Look for brands that don't get as much play, but are quality products. Hilton is the brand name of what used to be sold in the US as Vestimenta, which makes/made much of the Armani line. Um, Lardini is a good brand with a hilarious name. Cantarelli is typically good, but there are different lines, and Yoox rarely differentiates.
Shoes? Don't skimp. If you need a a single pair, go with something English. NoMan has a bunch of Alfred Sargents on sale - I personally think that that is a way overlooked brand.post #103809 of 1090531/7/15 at 8:56pm
just saw that you are a small - try this:
Never buy a suit from a place without returns. If you are a neophyte to pretty classic, tailored clothing, it's much less forgiving than knits and jeans or anything SWD. It's really a game of degrees. If the pitch of the shoulder and the arm is off, or the shoulder just a little too small, it will just never look good. Personally, I feel that going to a good B&M, and buying a suit in person, is the surest way to go for a suit.post #103810 of 1090531/7/15 at 9:19pmQuote:
been using Cetaphil for the past month and i'd recommendpost #103811 of 1090531/7/15 at 9:23pmThanks @LA Guy, I'll definitely have to look into it more. I definitely need to look into it more... it feels like I just started the clothing game all over again. I may end up getting a nicer one after all, Yoox seems to have some good stuff.
@notwithit Cetaphil is good but can be greasy. I suffered from really dry skin and mild eczema for a long time and Cetaphil was a savior, but I never used it on my face because it always felt too thick. These days I prefer Cerave since it's a good body moisturizer and has worked wonders on the face.post #103812 of 1090531/7/15 at 10:02pmQuote:
Try: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
- J. Crew's Ludlow: Not a very exciting suggestion, but it's in every mall and honestly not bad if you can score one on sale (although, they don't often go on sale)
- Lardini: Check Yoox and ignore the terrible styling
- Benjamin: Try the Classico and Napoli models. Available at eHaberdasher
- Suit Supply: Easy go to recommendation. Just try a bunch of different models to see which suits you best
- Land's End: Unexciting, but workable and cheap. They have a "tailored fit" model.
Try: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #103813 of 1090531/7/15 at 10:32pmpost #103814 of 1090531/8/15 at 12:04ampost #103815 of 1090531/8/15 at 1:08amMet up with @nicelynice today in Ebisu!
- Meermin (best of everything listed here, IMO)
- Loake's 1880 line (the other ones suck)
- Ralph Lauren's Made in Italy, England, and USA lines on eBay
- Herring (now available in the US through Gentlemen's Footwear, an SF affiliate)
- Shipton & Henage: Sometimes they do 20% off sales.
- Charles Tyrwhitt: Made by Loake.
- Allen Edmonds's factory seconds: They make a lot of ugly stuff, admittedly, but the Park Avenues are nice. Google their factory second store. Pretty good discounts there.
- Brooks Brothers' made in England and USA stuff on eBay
Had lunch at an udon place, and then strolled through daikanyama and tried on some clothes. Lift was quite cool, and is worth checking out. Even the music seemed to match the interior and the wares. Gullam was another cool store with lots of Devoa. We also went to Lewis Leathers, which had some quilted numbers in turquoise, yellow, and red. Still have yet to decide whether a yellow rider is a good idea or not.
Definitely a fun date
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 seconds ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 29 seconds ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Experiences with Yoox? Help please! 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway