Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 12/7/16 at 12:54pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Random fashion thoughts - Page 6918post #103756 of 1090531/6/15 at 4:41pmpost #103757 of 1090531/6/15 at 4:45pmQuote:Originally Posted by nahneun
I think that also has a lot to do with the languages themselves. Chinese is incredibly intimidating to a non-native speaker because of all the tones and inflections, whereas Japanese and Korean are much easier to pick up. It's incredibly difficult to pick up the subtleties in tonal differences unless you grew up hearing it.
I'd argue it has more to do with political economy issues. The reason why we like Japanese culture now is because they're considered an ally. That wasn't so in the Second World War or in the 1980s (when the collapse of American auto was blamed on the rise of Japanese auto). Then, things such as "Japanese intelligence" was viewed as "Japanese sneakiness." And "Japanese reverence" was seen as "susceptibility to fascism."
Likewise, if you look at press before 9/11, it was said that the biggest threat to American interests was the rise of China. That's faded into the background a bit now with concerns over angry Muslims and the Middle East, but it's still there. The West didn't see China as much of a threat before the Opium Wars, and I'd argue this also has some influence on why we think of Chinese culture as cheap and superficial now, versus back then, when Chinese culture was considered very "advanced."
Incidentally, I also think part of hate against intellectual theory in art has to do with the fact that most didactic art is either Marxist or post-modern, which aren't very popular theories today (outside of academia, anyway). When those theories were popular (60s and 70s), people liked art that expressed those ideas.post #103758 of 1090531/6/15 at 4:53pmQuote:
Also in part due to the inundation of local supercorp. stores with MIC-labeled garbage and Chinatowns providing metropolitan regions with cheap or knockoff goods (note this isn't exclusively a sink-scam but visible due to concentration)Quote:Incidentally, I also think part of hate against intellectual theory in art has to do with the fact that most didactic art is either Marxist or post-modern, which aren't very popular theories today (outside of academia, anyway). When those theories were popular (60s and 70s), people liked art that expressed those ideas.
This isn't meant against you but whenever I see something described as post modern my first instinct is that the author doesn't know what is being discussed and uses this as a generically, unable to find a suitable paradigmpost #103759 of 1090531/6/15 at 4:55pmpost #103760 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:04pm
Shall I throw you over my shoulder and drop you on your fucking head? I feel that that sleeve and lapels of your Devoa jacket would be perfect for grabbing.
Also, the problem with @dieworkwear is that he saves up his sense of humor for the ToJ thread.post #103761 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:08pmpost #103762 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:09pmpost #103763 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:10pmpost #103764 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:14pmpost #103765 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:19pmpost #103766 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:20pmpost #103767 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:20pmpost #103768 of 1090531/6/15 at 5:25pmpost #103769 of 1090531/6/15 at 8:07pm@dieworkwear i dunno, there are still plenty of people in the US seeing china as our primary global competition in the long run, just in terms of economics.
rft: i just started watching Space Dandy because my thought process was that I could watch something with modern (though bizarre) aesthetics or something with "what's cool at minimum 10 years ago" aesthetics (Champloo)post #103770 of 1090531/7/15 at 4:32amQuote:Originally Posted by dieworkwear
Again, I think that's inherent in the format. You can't really express an idea in an intellectual profound way without going through the pains of reading and writing. A song, movie, painting, or piece of clothing is always going to be intellectual superficial or "clumsy" because the person creating it doesn't have the liberty to iron out all the nuances through pages and pages of writing. Heidegger's work can't be condensed into a jacket or painting, but it's interesting if someone's art is actually inspired by Heidegger's works.
I meant the writing in the designer's statement is clumsy. I think it's awesome if a designer, painter, whatever can find a way to deal with Heidegger in their work.
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › Recent purchases - Part II 16 seconds ago
- › A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Architecture Thread 4 minutes ago
- › #BLM 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...