haha too poor to live in the city... live out in the suburbs
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicAdvicetagged by LA Guy, 4/2/15
- categoryDenimtagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Outerweartagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- categoryDenim Shirtstagged by LA Guy, 5/3/15
- topicFashiontagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
- categoryJacketstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryJeanstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- categoryLong Sleeve Shirtstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandMaison Martin Margielatagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 1tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13More
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 10tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 11tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 14tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- brandMaison Martin Margiela 22tagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- categoryScarvestagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandStephan Schneidertagged by LA Guy, 10/8/13
- topicStyletagged by SYSTEM, 9/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Difference between MMM Avant Première and Première Sneakers Last post on 3/24/15 at 2:36pm in Streetwear and Denim
- THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD Last post on 2/1/17 at 7:56pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Visiting Okayama/Kojima - Good place to shop for Jeans? Last post on 9/16/15 at 8:50am in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- XS/29/8 MJK, Gitman, N&F and more Last post on 6/2/11 at 9:11pm in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Beyond the Levi's-Zon: Denim Outerwear that isn't a...Last edited: 10/22/15
- How can I keep my raw denim jeans (Levis 510) from fading?Last edited: 3/23/16
- Should I wash my raw denim jeans when I get them? What will be the...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Random fashion thoughts - Page 6915post #103712 of 1090531/4/15 at 1:37pmpost #103713 of 1090531/4/15 at 2:10pm
Has anybody bought/handled the "new" Stock Chino from Dana Lee. Wondering if they still have that pre-washed, garment died softness and if the ankle is really ~1" slimmer and still have that roomy thigh.
And on the same note, anybody tried the Unis Gio from this year (apparently a different fit again) and the size charts give a bigger thigh measurement than they used to.
I'm just going all out and buying as many loose thighed pants as I can find and if they have no taper then I'll just take them to a tailor.post #103714 of 1090531/4/15 at 5:01pmpost #103715 of 1090531/5/15 at 4:30pmpost #103716 of 1090531/5/15 at 6:17pmpost #103717 of 1090531/6/15 at 12:42ampost #103718 of 1090531/6/15 at 7:11ampost #103719 of 1090531/6/15 at 7:19ampost #103720 of 1090531/6/15 at 7:55ampost #103721 of 1090531/6/15 at 8:24ampost #103722 of 1090531/6/15 at 9:18amQuote:Originally Posted by accordion
Does anyone actually read the inspiration/mission statements/theses behind fashion collections? I looked up a bit on Elena Dawson and Geoffrey B. Small after handling their pieces and couldn't handle the psuedo-continental philosophy pretension despite liking their clothes. There seems to be a select few virtues all designers strive for; some type of Marxist anti-consumerism motto that makes you feel closer to the production process, e.g. guidi, hand-made, no mass production; emphasizing Romantic individualism: new take on old forms, etc, and attention to materials; which means there's some mohair or alpaca somewhere or exotic leathers.
Was also looking at AnnD's FW11 collection that was supposedly inspired by William Blake, and it was nothing like how I'd imagine William Blake would appear through fashion. I get that most of the younger designers went to art school and were probably force-fed Heidegger/Walter Benjamin or w/e they read nowadays but I honestly have never ever associated anything higher than manga or punk rock with most designers. It gives me a false sense of security that someone like Ann looks to William Blake rather than Death Note for inspiration, but I've found that none of it should make any difference in how the end product is conceived. And the more designers or retailers write about how special their clothes are, and yes it's to sell more shit, the more I get turned off from buying it.Quote:Originally Posted by eluther
EG FW 2014 was inspired by the British country side and glam rock, which was pretty dope and made for an interesting and fun collection. Reading about it made the collection more enjoyable seeing ways the motifs were teased out and pit against each other. So, reading that shit can enhance your experience if it falls in line with your personal interests/self-image.
I think the fetishization of continental philosophy (and equally as abstruse occidental art) is about introducing some impenetrable mystery into fashion: obviate the designer from actually being accountable for their influences, which are probably more quotidian. It's all about giving your customers the sense that what they're buying aren't just clothes, but a narrative – i.e. hype and producing an image. Getting turned off from that is legitimate because it really is all smoke and mirrors. However, I think you can take it as the kind of circus show it is and enjoy it for that.
Or, you can view it as an artistic production, which is a lot more complex and potentially unrewarding when you realize it's just some bourgeoise white zerson sitting in their atelier trying to figure out how to fleece other privileged folks from their money.
WTF?? Guys, designers barely make statements about their collection, they are almost never "theory inspired" or whatever you are incorrectly referring to. They hopefully had to read some Heidegger and Benjamin during their education because everyone should have to, we're talking about two major thinkers.
If Ann D was inspired by anime her designs wouldn't have soared to their heights the women collections sometimes did. Why that said we're talking about a Rimbaud and William Blake imagining done via Patti Smith and, less specifically, their pop-culture perception, nothing to fancy or profound in the source.
A few points:
1) Designers generally name visual (i.e. Giacometti), narrative (William Blake wandering around the countryside) or mood-related (armour and protection) references. You don't know shit if you think otherwise, all offense meant. Heidegger, ORLY.?
2) They're not bullshitting you, inspiration needs to come from somewhere. PR materials will tend to use the same simple refs and narrative about the designer over and over to have a simple message, yeah.
3) If you don't find ANYTHING intellectually worthwhile in fashion maybe you should stop being interested in it. Yeah it's just clothes but c'mon.post #103723 of 1090531/6/15 at 9:28ampost #103724 of 1090531/6/15 at 9:40ampost #103725 of 1090531/6/15 at 9:45am
This thread is locked
- Random fashion thoughts
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 23 seconds ago
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 8 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 9 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 18 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 21 minutes ago
- › Carmina brown captoes Inca last Size 12.5 23 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 26 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 37 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 38 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...