or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 6873  

post #103081 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

a) Blue, gingham check shirts have been around for many, many, many years from many different manufacturers. I've had similar gingham check shirts from Land's End and Hilditch & Key, who are two very different firms at two quite different price points. Simply because a firm makes a blue, gingham check shirt doesn't mean that they're ripping off another firm.

b) They're made from different fabric - the J.Crew one is (by the look of it) poplin, the Gustin one is flannel. So, one's more of a summer shirt, one's more of a winter shirt.

Also, less importantly:

c) I can't believe that J.Crew is charging that much for a very average shirt, regardless of cloth. What the heck? Are there people out there who will pay that much for a J.Crew shirt???

d) I really dislike this part of the J.Crew sales blurb: "...this shirt is finished with bespoke-inspired details like genuine mother-of-pearl buttons..." Oh, really? How amazing. Perhaps next they'll start mentioning that it has special details like a collar or sleeves because bespoke shirts also have those things.

I hold no brief for the J. Crew shirts, but you need to tighten up your snark. smile.gif
Lots of shirts have plastic buttons, so the "collar or sleeves" analogy doesn't really hold up . . .
post #103082 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13k View Post

Can't believe a city like SF can get shut down this hard by some rain.

Source: from LA

lots of power outages...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Faust is Russian. Give a shit name to the rest of the stylish Russian forum members. If ever in NY, going to leave bag of shit on his doorstep.

he came in short in life and is mad...
post #103083 of 109053
found a new cobbler, and hopefully a permanent fix for splitting soles Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #103084 of 109053
Anybody with experience with rakuten know if you can pay with paypal? I tried checking out with an item and it only gives me an option for credit card or bank transfer, is the paypal only for rakuten not global rakuten?
post #103085 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post

Anybody with experience with rakuten know if you can pay with paypal? I tried checking out with an item and it only gives me an option for credit card or bank transfer, is the paypal only for rakuten not global rakuten?

Just depends on the shop that is using rakuten. I just bought a few things, 2 with credit card and 1 with paypal. So it's possible, just not all the time.
post #103086 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston86dit View Post

Just depends on the shop that is using rakuten. I just bought a few things, 2 with credit card and 1 with paypal. So it's possible, just not all the time.
This was with kind-u who says they have paypal as an available payment option. Weird that it's not coming up when I check out.
post #103087 of 109053
I think one of the stores I've bought stuff off required a credit card the first time and then allowed paypal for returning customers, it may have been kind but I can't remember.

I think it was to try to cut down on people trying to scam them or something?
post #103088 of 109053

Just get a PayPal debit/credit card...

post #103089 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaith77 View Post

Just get a PayPal debit/credit card...
I just have some money in my PayPal account that I wanted to see if I could use before I transfer it back into my back account.
post #103090 of 109053

Huh? When I use my PayPal card, it comes out of my PayPal acct with my regular checking used as backup funding.

post #103091 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaith77 View Post

Huh? When I use my PayPal card, it comes out of my PayPal acct with my regular checking used as backup funding.
Woops I misunderstood your post. I'll check into that paypal credit/debit though. Thanks.
post #103092 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

 

c) I can't believe that J.Crew is charging that much for a very average shirt, regardless of cloth. What the heck? Are there people out there who will pay that much for a J.Crew shirt???

 

d) I really dislike this part of the J.Crew sales blurb: "...this shirt is finished with bespoke-inspired details like genuine mother-of-pearl buttons..." Oh, really? How amazing. Perhaps next they'll start mentioning that it has special details like a collar or sleeves because bespoke shirts also have those things.

c) The answer is very clearly tons of people.  j Crew shows enviable financials, and the merchandising is dialed in, and works in lock step with their product.  Your incredulity reads like a value judgement.  While you are certainly entitled to that, I've founds that your learn a lot more, become much more perceptive, if you are able to suspend value judgements, and to actually empathize with the value systems of others.

 

d) Yeah, it sucks, but we are not the target audience.  Bespoke is synonymous with "quality" for a large segment, and not necessarily unreasonably so, and so the copywriters go from there.  Also, have you ever had to write copy for dozens of similar shirts, day in and day out, all compatible with the "brand story?"  And then it goes through the hands of an editor who is responsible for making the client happy, if you work for an outside firm...  Copy like this is a good way to ensure that you keep your job.

post #103093 of 109053
I know plenty of people in Japan who import J.Crew like we do for all their castoffs on Rakuten
I think they do a pretty good job in that niche
post #103094 of 109053

All the Japanese people I know think J.Crew and Abercrombie are awesome and uniqlo is garbage.

post #103095 of 109053
What's good at jcrew?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts