or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 6775  

post #101611 of 109053
I was also referring to his post.

He is saying that such a high price is ridiculous for a sweatshirt made in China. The point isn't about the (guessed) quality of the item but MIC is inherently lower cost than made in high costa countries. I don't think I need to post a chart showing the average factory wages in China vs US to make that point.

The discussion of cost/price in relation to wherever it is made is relevant. It is not "anti-China" to state that a product that's MIC would be expected to be lower price than one made in a higher labor cost country - all else being equal.
post #101612 of 109053
Anyone know where to get a small black beanie like this? Wanna get something Leon-esque

post #101613 of 109053
RRL has been routinely offering MiC handknitted sweaters for about $500 to $1,000, depending on the material, and they seem to sell out. I wouldn't pay $300 for a Todd Synder sweatshirt personally, but value seems so subjective. Maybe some die hard Todd Synder fan would.
post #101614 of 109053
Dear favorite friends,

In two (2) days, the second (I think) Styleforvm Vendor Trunk Show will happen in NYC. It will run from Nov. 7-8, 11A-7P, at a rico suave type place where there is a godddamn terrace. The address, and the list of all the vendors, can be found here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/430872/styleforum-new-york-trunk-show-and-pop-up-shop-nov-7-8/0_100


The CM crowd will be bringing a pretty strong contingent, and it would be great if we could have more SW+D guys come out for some real finger-snapping dance fights. There's no reason to be shy - we're a fun crowd, and nobody is too embarrassing to be around. Last time we had an SW+D meet-up it was a great time, and I'm sure it'll be just as fun this time around too - but only if you guys show up to make sure.

So, if you're in NYC, in the NYC area, or just feel like taking a day trip to the big city, come on down. It doesn't matter if you're a regular poster, a lurker, or a total noob - come on out, because everyone's welcome. No Man Walks Alone is going to have some sweet streetwear stuff, and guys like Epaulet will be around to scratch your hashtag itch. This is a great opportunity to try stuff on, drink some whiskey, and have a good time with friendly people.

I know a few of us will be there, myself included, but I'd love to get the chance to say hi to more of you. So do it. @in stitches, please insert the "Do It" gif now.
post #101615 of 109053
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I was also referring to his post.

He is saying that such a high price is ridiculous for a sweatshirt made in China. The point isn't about the (guessed) quality of the item but MIC is inherently lower cost than made in high costa countries. I don't think I need to post a chart showing the average factory wages in China vs US to make that point.

The discussion of cost/price in relation to wherever it is made is relevant. It is not "anti-China" to state that a product that's MIC would be expected to be lower price than one made in a higher labor cost country - all else being equal.

 

Yeah, I agree and I get what you're saying and I probably (obviously?) jumped to conclusions about the intent of the post.

 

In the end though, if Merz B was priced at $295 and made in China I'd probably, maybe still consider buying it because they are a lot more interesting. If that Snyder was $135 and made in Germany I would still pass because it's still boring and there are better options out there.

I didn't and don't mean to derail or disagree. I agree with what you're saying.

post #101616 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

Dear favorite friends,



I'll be there

post #101617 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yahoo! Japan in general or the auto-increment? The auto-increment is actually an option, not enabled by default, so some auctions can be sniped. I think most people who remember turn it on, though.

In general, Yahoo! Japan is a piece of trash, with a terrible interface from late 90s, absolutely zero protection for the buyer and seller, and they're JUST beta testing a system for standardizing communication regarding address and payment info. Most Japanese web apps are terrible, designed around pointless "cultural" guidelines (Mixi's lack of real names, Yahoo! Japan's free-form communication) that detract from usability and poor user interface.. see Y!JP vs eBay, Rakuten vs Amazon, Mixi vs Facebook, Google Maps vs. all the terrible domestic map apps. Sorry for the derail, just angry at having to use Y!JP to sell things. eBay and PayPal is so easy to use

Basically, I want to win an auction and pay by clicking buttons, not writing a self-introduction, haggling over shipping, and figuring out which bank transfer will have the cheapest fees
this just totally killed my desire to purchase that item frown.gif
post #101618 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yeah, I agree and I get what you're saying and I probably (obviously?) jumped to conclusions about the intent of the post.

In the end though, if Merz B was priced at $295 and made in China I'd probably, maybe still consider buying it because they are a lot more interesting. If that Snyder was $135 and made in Germany I would still pass because it's still boring and there are better options out there.
I didn't and don't mean to derail or disagree. I agree with what you're saying.
And I don't disagree either. I think people often use country of provenance as a proxy for quality or value - which can be tricky or plain wrong. There's a ton of crap that's poorly made in Italy and there's a lot of good stuff that's made in China. However, unless you have a marketing bulldozer powerhouse like RL laying the marketing koolaid thick to create lalaland pricing for their products, all else being equal, it's fair to expect the same product being offered for a lower price if MIC than if made in a high cost country.
post #101619 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post


And I don't disagree either. I think people often use country of provenance as a proxy for quality or value - which can be tricky or plain wrong. There's a ton of crap that's poorly made in Italy and there's a lot of good stuff that's made in China. However, unless you have a marketing bulldozer powerhouse like RL laying the marketing koolaid thick to create lalaland pricing for their products, all else being equal, it's fair to expect the same product being offered for a lower price if MIC than if made in a high cost country.

Exactly. That whole "if it's made in China then it clearly sucks" mentality really frustrates me, which is what sparked my response.

post #101620 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

Dear favorite friends,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In two (2) days, the second (I think) Styleforvm Vendor Trunk Show will happen in NYC. It will run from Nov. 7-8, 11A-7P, at a rico suave type place where there is a godddamn terrace. The address, and the list of all the vendors, can be found here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/430872/styleforum-new-york-trunk-show-and-pop-up-shop-nov-7-8/0_100


The CM crowd will be bringing a pretty strong contingent, and it would be great if we could have more SW+D guys come out for some real finger-snapping dance fights. There's no reason to be shy - we're a fun crowd, and nobody is too embarrassing to be around. Last time we had an SW+D meet-up it was a great time, and I'm sure it'll be just as fun this time around too - but only if you guys show up to make sure.

So, if you're in NYC, in the NYC area, or just feel like taking a day trip to the big city, come on down. It doesn't matter if you're a regular poster, a lurker, or a total noob - come on out, because everyone's welcome. No Man Walks Alone is going to have some sweet streetwear stuff, and guys like Epaulet will be around to scratch your hashtag itch. This is a great opportunity to try stuff on, drink some whiskey, and have a good time with friendly people.

I know a few of us will be there, myself included, but I'd love to get the chance to say hi to more of you.

So do it. @in stitches, please insert the "Do It" gif now.





PSA, Im freaking super pissed that this is event is not on a Sunday like last year. Any one of ya'll that can make it, you owe it to yourself to do so.

Double damn it. Sipang is gonna be there and I wont be able to meet him.
post #101621 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

Dear favorite friends,

In two (2) days, the second (I think) Styleforvm Vendor Trunk Show will happen in NYC. It will run from Nov. 7-8, 11A-7P, at a rico suave type place where there is a godddamn terrace. The address, and the list of all the vendors, can be found here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/430872/styleforum-new-york-trunk-show-and-pop-up-shop-nov-7-8/0_100


The CM crowd will be bringing a pretty strong contingent, and it would be great if we could have more SW+D guys come out for some real finger-snapping dance fights. There's no reason to be shy - we're a fun crowd, and nobody is too embarrassing to be around. Last time we had an SW+D meet-up it was a great time, and I'm sure it'll be just as fun this time around too - but only if you guys show up to make sure.

So, if you're in NYC, in the NYC area, or just feel like taking a day trip to the big city, come on down. It doesn't matter if you're a regular poster, a lurker, or a total noob - come on out, because everyone's welcome. No Man Walks Alone is going to have some sweet streetwear stuff, and guys like Epaulet will be around to scratch your hashtag itch. This is a great opportunity to try stuff on, drink some whiskey, and have a good time with friendly people.

I know a few of us will be there, myself included, but I'd love to get the chance to say hi to more of you. So do it. @in stitches, please insert the "Do It" gif now.

I'm bartending till late on Friday, but might be able to make it out on the 8th. @GraphicNovelty want to meet up there?
post #101622 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

When discussing pricing and therefore cost of an item, whether it is made in a low cost country or not is absolutely relevant. I feel that I'm stating the obvious here, but maybe not?

What makes you think that was a comment on the quality of the item rather than the relative cost?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

I wasn't replying to you, the OP's post made it sound like the fact it was made in China was the absurd part about the cost. If I'm wrong then my bad. But the fact the country of manufacturer was mentioned made it sound like that was the issue, like if it was made in the US the price would be justified (and like you said, it would be to extent since the cost of production would be higher) even though it's a basic ass heathered cotton crew neck. Made in the USA it would still be an easy pass.

Like you said, there's a lot of better, more interesting sweaters at much better price points made in many different places.

 

To be clear, my comment wasn't motivated by xenophobia. I'm talking about relative cost. I'm not going to complain about Uniqlo - they make it cheap and sell it cheap. But making it cheap and selling it at that price? That's taking the piss. I'd like to know how well that item sells. @gdl203 What you say about Merz B. illustrates my point perfectly. You'd have to be a mug to buy that Snyder sweatshirt when you can buy something of the same or better quality for less than half the price.

post #101623 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post
 

Exactly. That whole "if it's made in China then it clearly sucks" mentality really frustrates me, which is what sparked my response.

 

Yeah, that wouldn't make sense. But the whole  "if it's made in a low cost country by exploited workers with no human rights and then massively marked up, I ain't buying it" mentality makes much more sense. 

post #101624 of 109053
Yes, it does.
Like I said, my bad for jumping to conclusions.
lets all agree that's a boring and overpriced sweatshirt by all measures.
post #101625 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelynice View Post

Yahoo! Japan in general or the auto-increment? The auto-increment is actually an option, not enabled by default, so some auctions can be sniped. I think most people who remember turn it on, though.

Yeah I meant the auto-increment. Do folks have some specific thoughts on that experience? I mean it definitely seems mostly beneficial to the seller, but does it play out that way? Does it make a noticeable difference in how bids escalate and flow?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts