or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random fashion thoughts - Page 6693  

post #100381 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

Are they worth the $400 retail or worth looking around for a deal?
@hendrix what is sizing like?

they tend to run half a size big but it depends on your foot because they can be a bit narrow in places.

No, not really worth $400 and there are other options now as Fok mentioned.
post #100382 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post

Side note screw Bay Area heat wave!

I'm dying here down in Santa Clara. Pretty sure we hit 97-98 F during the day. 

 

I've also been looking for some nice outerwear to wear when I'm in NYC this Dec. Looking for a nice fishtail parka with a removable lining (so I can wear it in spring too). I'm in love with the TOJ fishtail. Too bad you can't buy it from them anymore or I would definitely order one.

post #100383 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Honestly, if you are thinking of Common Projects, think of alternatives like Epaulet's, or something that is a little more interesting, like ETQ Amsterdam.  I think that Common Projects are a good standard sneaker, but I feel that in 2014, there are many options out there.  

Yes i saw the Epaulet sneaker run today as i was looking into CP and its a great alternative that i'm considering. Problem is I wanted something sooner then Jan/Feb 2015. I am on the fence about it for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

they tend to run half a size big but it depends on your foot because they can be a bit narrow in places.

No, not really worth $400 and there are other options now as Fok mentioned.

Thanks, yea i am looking thinking about the below Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muri View Post

I'm dying here down in Santa Clara. Pretty sure we hit 97-98 F during the day. 

I've also been looking for some nice outerwear to wear when I'm in NYC this Dec. Looking for a nice fishtail parka with a removable lining (so I can wear it in spring too). I'm in love with the TOJ fishtail. Too bad you can't buy it from them anymore or I would definitely order one.

Yea my jackets aren't getting much wear. I work in SC area and its always hot. Would be pretty happy if it rained a bit more.
post #100384 of 109053

Are there any alternatives to CP derbys?

post #100385 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by washedout View Post

Are there any alternatives to CP derbys?

alden derbys
post #100386 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 

New DIY project involving my Ironheart denim moto jacket:

 

There are 3 options:

 

1) Thornproof the whole thing

2) Overpaint the entire thing black

3) Paint the arms, and thornproof the body, mimicking hat "leather sleeves on a fabric body" look.

 

Opinions sought.

 

Related to this, what kind of paint are you planning to use if you decide to paint it?
Doesn't seem like I'm getting my Siki Im sold, but it doesn't get any wear, so I'm thinking of painting it white.

post #100387 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedk View Post


Yes i saw the Epaulet sneaker run today as i was looking into CP and its a great alternative that i'm considering. Problem is I wanted something sooner then Jan/Feb 2015. I am on the fence about it for now.
Thanks, yea i am looking thinking about the below Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yea my jackets aren't getting much wear. I work in SC area and its always hot. Would be pretty happy if it rained a bit more.

 

 

Man, I like those sneakers but those gum soles look ugly as hell to me. Why couldn't they have just done white? :/

 

Also, damn you @LA Guy  for posting that thread on the CM side of things. I totally missed it. Why wasn't it posted on SW&D? Traffic?

post #100388 of 109053
U gotta look at the main page once in a while. That's how I saw it.
post #100389 of 109053
Well, it's happened again. My wife left town for a few days, and I dropped a grand at NMWA.
post #100390 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofyoung View Post

 

Related to this, what kind of paint are you planning to use if you decide to paint it?
Doesn't seem like I'm getting my Siki Im sold, but it doesn't get any wear, so I'm thinking of painting it white.

I use a soft touch, acrylic, fabric paint, and usually do a thinner base layer, and then a thicker layer over that, for a more even look.  Just skip the base layer if you are going for a more DIY, bohemian look, which is what I did for my sashiko jackets.  It depends on what you are trying to do.  If you are painting from black to white, you are going to need at least 2 layers, unless you want the black to show through, which is actually more difficult, because instead of a cake of paint, you will need to do it very, uniformly. In that case, I might even recommend using a sponge.

 

One way or the other, it's a fairly time intensive project,  You will to space it out over a few days, and allocate at least 2 hours to each session.  

 

I decided to do the overpainted black.  I did a small, hidden patch, yesterday, just to see what it would look like.  It's not bad, but because it is black on black, I am going to have to put on several coats for it to look like anything.

 

Incidentally, if you guys like to do the Margiela white out everything look, it works really well on mended, busted up, old garments, which was Margiela's intention in the first place, giving an old garment new life and new identity.  Plus, if you do it right, it turns out like his many "covered" objects,and things like patches and embossed patterns from wear become a three dimensional feature apart from its original purpose (prolonging the life of a garment).

 

Hope that helps.

post #100391 of 109053

Appreciate the thorough response, will see if I find something suitable downtown

Hoping that it'll turn out somewhat similar to this:

post #100392 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorbiant View Post

 

Man, I like those sneakers but those gum soles look ugly as hell to me. Why couldn't they have just done white? :/

Also, damn you @LA Guy  for posting that thread on the CM side of things. I totally missed it. Why wasn't it posted on SW&D? Traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg View Post

U gotta look at the main page once in a while. That's how I saw it.

 

All of these things.  We wanted to reach out the CM crowd, and to get people from SWD out of their comfort zone and into other forums.  For example, there is no reason that travel and food discussion should not be had in the appropriate, non-clothing sections.  

 

Part of the our goal is to make people use all the tools on the forum to get maximum discoverability.  The issue of balkanization is much more prevalent in the SWD part of the forum, where there is more exclusive use of the subscriptions feature, and do not use the activity feed on the front page, or browse other parts of the forum.

 

The gum soles make sense with the vintage feel of the shoes, and with the nature of the shell cordovan.  Mike did one of the pairs in a white sole, and it just didn't work as well.  He does have other materials (in suede, for example), where the white contrasts well with the nap and softer colors.  

post #100393 of 109053

I don't browse anything but SW&D and the Marketplace.

post #100394 of 109053
295$ is a tempting price for those. Gum sole makes sense with the colours imo
post #100395 of 109053
Quote:
Originally Posted by wogbog View Post

295$ is a tempting price for those. Gum sole makes sense with the colours imo

 

 

My gripe was with the black pair. The rest look good with gum.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Random fashion thoughts