or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What laptop do you own?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What laptop do you own? - Page 2

post #16 of 157
Lenovo X61, which is currently on its second repair service trip in 4 months. The machine itself is less than 1.5 years old. The first time I sent it to get fixed, they had to replace the hard drive and the battery. This time round, they had to replace the motherboard.

I like the form factor, and had good experiences with IBM thinkpads in the past, but Lenovo is certainly not maintaining Thinkpad standards.

I cannot stress how important it is to backup one's data -- I can only imagine how miserable I would have been had I not backed my research files up.
post #17 of 157
None. My laptop owns me.

More seriously, an old iBook G4. Nice and compact, not overly encumbered with bells and whistles I don't need...simple stuff.
post #18 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oligarch View Post
Lenovo X61, which is currently on its second repair service trip in 4 months. The machine itself is less than 1.5 years old. The first time I sent it to get fixed, they had to replace the hard drive and the battery. This time round, they had to replace the motherboard.

I like the form factor, and had good experiences with IBM thinkpads in the past, but Lenovo is certainly not maintaining Thinkpad standards.

I cannot stress how important it is to backup one's data -- I can only imagine how miserable I would have been had I not backed my research files up.

Yup. Backing up is like insurance. You never need it until you need it.

Whenever I do some important work on my laptop, I always back up at least once every 24hrs. Microsoft's skydrive is awesome for this purpose.
post #19 of 157
My Thinkpad T42 is sitting unloved in my desk drawer.
post #20 of 157
Brand new MacBook Pro 13".... I am in love with it
post #21 of 157
Late 2008 15-inch MBP. Love it --- the industrial design is pretty spectacular. I can't wait to put an Intel SSD in there for its system drive.

Work laptop is an old IBM Thinkpad T42p. Also love it, and it's sort of on the opposite side of the spectrum from the Apple, but really high quality build.

So many laptops today (even the Lenovos) look and feel really cheap.

--Andre
post #22 of 157
Sony Vaio P-500. It's a tiny thing that I recently purchased, and have come to really like. It's great for travel. I also have a Lenovo.
post #23 of 157
Dell XPS M1530 for doing computery things in front of the TV.

Acer Aspire One A110X ... tiny 9" netbook that is living inside of my briefcase and travels around with me. Full with music and movies.

Have a regular computer for everything that needs performance and power.
post #24 of 157
T61 and S10. Big fan of both.
post #25 of 157
I just bought a HP mini 1151NR one of those netbook thingys...
I had a HP NC6220, but my brother stole it from me
post #26 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
...

Would the new one be durable enough for travel? I would love to have something lighter for hauling around, but I am a bit frightened that it wont be sturdy enough.

The hinge is a little flimsy. Other then that, they are tremendously strong and durable. When closed you could probably frisbee toss it through a wall.

Definitely compare the MBP and the new 13" MBP side by side before you buy. They are both outstanding.
post #27 of 157
I have an HP Mini. Since my laptop is stationery, I've given it up for a desktop. Smartest computer decision I've ever made.
post #28 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by btlaxripper View Post
Brand new MacBook Pro 13".... I am in love with it

+1, I'm quite impressed with mine so far.
post #29 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
The hinge is a little flimsy. Other then that, they are tremendously strong and durable. When closed you could probably frisbee toss it through a wall.

Definitely compare the MBP and the new 13" MBP side by side before you buy. They are both outstanding.

What I am most worried about is the screen cracking during transport. I will have to check it out.
post #30 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
What I am most worried about is the screen cracking during transport. I will have to check it out.

It's not less durable than any other modern notebook, if properly cared for obviously.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › What laptop do you own?