• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever wear shoes that don't fit?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Sometimes there are great deals (ebay, thrift store) on shoes that may be a half size too big. How often have you worn shoes that don't fit? Do you have any in active rotation?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope nobody says yes. I buy things because of quality and how they fit. I also admit that labels play a major role in considering my purchases but if you are buying things that dont even fit just because your getting a great deal on a label, then you sir, are the worst kind of brand whore.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the **** is up with all these threads?21 new threads in less than a month?Troll?

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Sometimes there are great deals (ebay, thrift store) on shoes that may be a half size too big. How often have you worn shoes that don't fit? Do you have any in active rotation?

My own experience suggest that the RTW shoe that fits perfectly is indeed rare. Most times, due to variation in last etc, one has to make compromises in fit, however subtle. It is akin to the RTW coat that fits perfectly. While suits/coats are alterable, shoes are not. But the same logic suggests that a RTW shoe will not fit any foot perfectly.

Alan Bee

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
What the **** is up with all these threads?21 new threads in less than a month?Troll?

Just a reminder sir: please place a space (' ') between sentences.

Thanks
J

Bluestrike2

Reaction score
I always like to keep 2-3 inches of extra toe room. You know, the whole saying about big feet and all. Unfortunately, everything else gets way too loose so I'm stuck wrapping my feet in athletic bandages before I put my shoes on.

It's a bit difficult to walk, but sacrifices must be made at times. I don't know how you other people do it, wearing shoes that fit and all.

UncivilizedThoughts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bluestrike2
I always like to keep 2-3 inches of extra toe room. You know, the whole saying about big feet and all. Unfortunately, everything else gets way too loose so I'm stuck wrapping my feet in athletic bandages before I put my shoes on.

It's a bit difficult to walk, but sacrifices must be made at times. I don't know how you other people do it, wearing shoes that fit and all.

2-3 inches is a lot of room how do you manage to maintain the leather with all of that inevitable creasing. When buying shoes they should always fit just enough that they don't hurt. You're feet aren't growing anymore because you aren't a little boy so there is no need to size up like your mom used to do for you.

doctorj!

Reaction score
Well, I was once given a gorgeous pair of Gucci shoes by my wife as an Anniversary gift. I called to see if a larger size was available, but it was sold out. I put stretchers in there for about 2-3 months, and voila! They fit me perfectly now.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bluestrike2
I always like to keep 2-3 inches of extra toe room. You know, the whole saying about big feet and all. Unfortunately, everything else gets way too loose so I'm stuck wrapping my feet in athletic bandages before I put my shoes on. It's a bit difficult to walk, but sacrifices must be made at times. I don't know how you other people do it, wearing shoes that fit and all.
good plan. you could put some emergency cash in there in case you get robbed, or baggies full of stuff that you don't want discovered during a cursory search
teacha.gif

Bluestrike2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UncivilizedThoughts
2-3 inches is a lot of room how do you manage to maintain the leather with all of that inevitable creasing. When buying shoes they should always fit just enough that they don't hurt. You're feet aren't growing anymore because you aren't a little boy so there is no need to size up like your mom used to do for you.
Well, I pack them full of packing peanuts. Silly. Do I have to think of everything?
Originally Posted by HRoi
good plan. you could put some emergency cash in there in case you get robbed, or baggies full of stuff that you don't want discovered during a cursory search
teacha.gif

Excellent ideas. If I were a diamond thief, I could hide them down there as well. Plus, if I leave a footprint, it'll throw the police off (they'll be busy looking for Sasquatch). By the way, I hope everyone realizes my original post was sarcastic. I mean, seriously, 2-3 inches? Come on. Besides, the last line should have been a dead giveaway.

ranker

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit that I often wear larger shoes than would fit me perfectly. Why? My feet are so small that it my feet disappear underneath my trousers. My feet are also wider than is normal which makes purchasing shoes an aggravating experience. You don't often see 8's in EEE's or F's. As a result for the sake of balancing my height against the size of how my feet appear and because of the abnormal width of my feet (wooo clublike feet!), I purchase shoes often larger than would be ideal for what constitutes a perfect fit.

So, bring on the flames about being a label whore or a complete sartorial ignoramus, but it just works for me.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ranker
My feet are so small that it my feet disappear underneath my trousers.

.... just like to make sure everyone got this line.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
We've all probably worn ill-fitting shoes at one time or another. I have one pair that are a wee snug and only wear them if its short-term like going to the corner store ir rain.
other than that I won't cripple my feet for any fashion or whatever reason. proper fit is critical even more than looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads