or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Thoughts on the 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thoughts on the 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Page 3

post #31 of 43
The 996 Turbo Tiptronic sucked. A lot. (IMHO.) There is gigantic shift lag. So you end up having to anticipate when you want to downshift, like going into a corner, downshift some while before you actually want it to downshift, and then it will do it when you actually want it to. Infuriating.
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
So you end up having to anticipate when you want to downshift, like going into a corner, downshift some while before you actually want it to downshift, and then it will do it when you actually want it to. Infuriating.

Most slushboxes act like this. Some semi-autos act like this, too --- BMW's non-M SMG gearboxes have lag. The great thing about slushboxes though is that they're a great way to launch a car without being very subtle or skilled. Did anyone see the episode of 5th gear where they drag raced a Bentley?

--Andre
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Most slushboxes act like this. Some semi-autos act like this, too --- BMW's non-M SMG gearboxes have lag. The great thing about slushboxes though is that they're a great way to launch a car without being very subtle or skilled. Did anyone see the episode of 5th gear where they drag raced a Bentley?

--Andre

What's so skilled about putting the car in first, sliding off the clutch will flooring the accelerator and then quickly shifting to 2nd? What impresses me are people who know how to drive in corners. Anyone can go in a straight line.

Jon.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
What's so skilled about putting the car in first, sliding off the clutch will flooring the accelerator and then quickly shifting to 2nd? What impresses me are people who know how to drive in corners. Anyone can go in a straight line.

Jon.

Knowing the proper shift time, and then being able to shift efficiently is a skill in itself. But then, I agree with you, straight lines are no fun. Good cars shine around the corners.
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
What's so skilled about putting the car in first, sliding off the clutch will flooring the accelerator and then quickly shifting to 2nd? What impresses me are people who know how to drive in corners. Anyone can go in a straight line.

Try asking a drag racer or Formula 1 driver. Being able to sense available traction and modulate clutch, brake, and throttle to get the best launch is a subtle skill. Anyone can go in a corner, too. Going fast in either case takes real skill: are you saying that given equal cars and conditions, every driver will have identical 0-60 times?

--Andre
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Try asking a drag racer or Formula 1 driver. Being able to sense available traction and modulate clutch, brake, and throttle to get the best launch is a subtle skill. Anyone can go in a corner, too. Going fast in either case takes real skill: are you saying that given equal cars and conditions, every driver will have identical 0-60 times? --Andre
No of course not, but a road car of the MX-5’s caliber is not even a stones throw away from being close to an F1 car. I was taking into account the original context of the thread. Jon.
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The 996 Turbo Tiptronic sucked. A lot. (IMHO.) There is gigantic shift lag. So you end up having to anticipate when you want to downshift, like going into a corner, downshift some while before you actually want it to downshift, and then it will do it when you actually want it to. Infuriating.

To be honest, my mentioning of the 996 Turbo's faster 0-60 time with the Tip is only based on Porsche performance data, and not on any kind of driving experience (I have only driven manual 996 Turbo's), but I did not indicate it as such.

Jon.
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
No of course not, but a road car of the MX-5's caliber is not even a stones throw away from being close to an F1 car. I was taking into account the original context of the thread.

You don't need an F1 car or a top fuel dragster to see the effects of driver skill on the launch of a car. Even a Miata with its hamster-powered engine will require skill to launch well.

--Andre
post #39 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
To be honest I didn't even know they got up to $30,000. From what I saw they look to be $18,000 or so vehicles.

While I didn't look drive up and look at the window sticker, I suspect that the amount scribbled on the windshield of the one I saw in the front lawn of the local Pontiac dealer probably had a hefty amount of "Additional Dealer Markup" built in.

If memory serves, it was $28,900 or something, so most people wouldn't consider it over $30k. I instinctively convert the price for everything from a carton of milk to a car from the advertised cost to "whatever I would have to pay to get it do me." so that's why I wrote "over $30k."
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
You don't need an F1 car or a top fuel dragster to see the effects of driver skill on the launch of a car. Even a Miata with its hamster-powered engine will require skill to launch well. --Andre
Of course, but again in the context of a MX-5, i.e. the real world with it’s imperfect driving situations, the greater task is to properly maneuver a car through the apex, not simply going straight. And obviously a better driver will driver will be far more superior than a shitty driver. Jon. A bit OT: did you see the episode of Top Gear when they drove a Bentley Arnage T sideways (power slide)? And also produced monster, smoke-inducing donuts with it?
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Gladwell (or anyone), I'd be interested to hear if you have any experience with/opinions on this car. Mine has a balanced L18 engine with ported/polished SSS head, dual 40mm Mikuni dual sidedrafts and a 200sx 5-speed trans, Koni shocks and custom springs, swaybars, etc. Still need to find an LSD for it among other things. It's sitting half completed and mainly needs an interior at this point. Kind of a nagging at the back of my mind for years now.

Three years ago I would have told you to do a VG30 swap, but back then I was just starting my 240Z/LT1 project, and, well, it's still parked and generously 80% done.

Today I'd say just get that dime running and enjoy it.
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
A bit OT: did you see the episode of Top Gear when they drove a Bentley Arnage T sideways (power slide)? And also produced monster, smoke-inducing donuts with it?

I haven't seen it, but I love it when they take these huge dignified cars, and do unspeakable things to them. I still remember Tif Needel's test of the E39 M5 for Top Gear where he drifted it forever, and later on did a 360 (-degree turn, not the F360).

--Andre
post #43 of 43
i've missed this thread, as i was away for the weekend.. but to touch on a couple points discussed..

the solstice is certainly ugly, especially the interior, but its a step in the right direction. the gxp solstice will be making something like 280 hp.. not shabby. plus, pontiac is going to offer factory installed (yes, factory installed, not dealer installed) upgrades to appeal to the club racer and autox crowd. that includes springs (stiffer mainly.. just a tiny drop) and some other bits. i talked with the guy in charge of that project at pontiac's racing development and it seems pretty cool.. and without a doubt, a step in the right direction.. offering track tested, factory installed upgrades that aren't just body kits and bigger (heavier) alloy wheels. i prefer the sky's styling.. and if you get past the fact that its a saturn (saturn is slowly repositioning itself away from ultra boring to mainly boring with a couple of cool cars), its clearly the better of the two.

the sti/evo thing.. i've driven an 05 evo mr, 05 evo, and a handful of sti's... and i basically what sgladwell said is right. although the evo mr is a very good performer. the only reason i went with the sti over the evo mr was the interior... of which i believe the 05+ sti's have a pretty good one. the styling overall is ugly. they always have been and always will. they are upfront, ugly rally bred sedans. that is the nature of the beast. oh, and the 02+ wrx's are lots of fun.. i had an 03 for 2.5 years before getting the 05 sti last summer.

on to the point of the thread.. the incoming mx-5's are pretty nice, although i've never been a huge fan of the car. i have driven an old school 91 miati pretty extensively (i actually learned to drive on that car.. the clutch and shifter on that is great for the novice). its a fun car.. it has the connectedness that some (unfortunately, few) strive for, but it really doesnt meet any of my needs, even remotely.. i like 4 seats, 4 doors, a solid roof, and peaky (turboy) power.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Thoughts on the 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata