or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread - Page 586

post #8776 of 13483

^^^ I don't consider it "crapping" on Vass shoes - I asked for the experiences of others and you have given yours.  Our experiences quite naturally inform our opinions and perceptions.

 

If your experience was the same as mine, your perception might be closer to mine.  My Vass shoes don't have obvious defects, so when I look at a pair of EG and a pair of Vass - both defect-free - I don't see a difference in quality of finishing or perceive a difference in the quality of the leather.  Whether one views the difference in price as substantial or not is perhaps a red herring, as the difference can actually be quantified.

post #8777 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiji View Post

I'm sure chogall can shed some more light on his comment, but Vass finishing does leave a lot to be desired from what I understand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

+1. Lots of variability in quality of finish from shoe to shoe. I've had several pair that were just awful. Another problem is the variability in fit from pair to pair, same size, same last.

I'm not going to join in on the gemming vs. non-gemming fray, but with respect to RTW, I find EGs to have far superior consistency in fit and finish. Yes they are more expensive, but the price difference is getting smaller and smaller.

I'd tend to agree with the comments above. My first pair of Old English have slight flaws in the consistency of the broguing, i.e. the pairs of punched holes are a little awry with respect to each other (don't line up neatly). I've seen this on other pairs posted in this thread and on B&S. Personally I don't consider it a major issue and I just chalked it down to the charm of a hand-made product, however an EG with such flaws would be marked as a reject.
post #8778 of 13483
Interesting perspective/experience Jerry, though far from my own, I must admit.

I think my sentiment for EG is well known around these parts and I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed with their shoes. My experience with Vass has been equally good.

Aesthetics aside, the main difference I see is that EG (and Lobb for that matter) is essentially a factory that produces a relatively large number of shoes per year and has what I would call an assembly-line approach to their production. Vass, on the other hand, is still making shoes in a one-off manner which, by definition, increases the likelihood for defects.

An apt analogy might be...Will Charvet and and Fray have a cleaner stitch than a shirt that is made by hand? Almost certainly. Will the handmade shirt sometimes lose a button or see a stitch come unraveled, again in my experience, almost certainly. This comes along with territory in a handmade article and we can either live with it or not, but to expect cookie cutter perfection (not implying this your expectation Jerry) from a handmade operation will always lead to disappointment.
post #8779 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post

Interesting perspective/experience Jerry, though far from my own, I must admit.

I think my sentiment for EG is well known around these parts and I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed with their shoes. My experience with Vass has been equally good.

Aesthetics aside, the main difference I see is that EG (and Lobb for that matter) is essentially a factory that produces a relatively large number of shoes per year and has what I would call an assembly-line approach to their production. Vass, on the other hand, is still making shoes in a one-off manner which, by definition, increases the likelihood for defects.

An apt analogy might be...Will Charvet and and Fray have a cleaner stitch than a shirt that is made by hand? Almost certainly. Will the handmade shirt sometimes lose a button or see a stitch come unraveled, again in my experience, almost certainly. This comes along with territory in a handmade article and we can either live with it or not, but to expect cookie cutter perfection (not implying this your expectation Jerry) from a handmade operation will always lead to disappointment.

I agree with the above, and greatly appreciate the variability of a totally hand made (one off) shoe. It is part of its charm and I rarely purchase RTW now. I put up with the minor issues of finish that come as part of the package. Does not mean I don't grumble now and then about minor issues.

I do consider what I saw with my Vass shoes as defects however. Maybe I was unlucky.

The two pair I have left are great.
post #8780 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post

Interesting perspective/experience Jerry, though far from my own, I must admit.

I think my sentiment for EG is well known around these parts and I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed with their shoes. My experience with Vass has been equally good.

Aesthetics aside, the main difference I see is that EG (and Lobb for that matter) is essentially a factory that produces a relatively large number of shoes per year and has what I would call an assembly-line approach to their production. Vass, on the other hand, is still making shoes in a one-off manner which, by definition, increases the likelihood for defects.

An apt analogy might be...Will Charvet and and Fray have a cleaner stitch than a shirt that is made by hand? Almost certainly. Will the handmade shirt sometimes lose a button or see a stitch come unraveled, again in my experience, almost certainly. This comes along with territory in a handmade article and we can either live with it or not, but to expect cookie cutter perfection (not implying this your expectation Jerry) from a handmade operation will always lead to disappointment.

Nice to have you back BTW.
post #8781 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

I've probably owned 60-70 pair of EG and have had very minor issues with maybe 2 pair. All of which were fixed right away. Again, with reference to the "gemming issue" my gemmed EGs consistently have better finishing than my bespoke shoes.

That's a lot of EG...

Good to hear a civil debate for once. I've read too many heated threads lately.

I have a couple of Vass products on order so I should receive them by the end of the year (not sure what the turn-around time is right now). biggrin.gif
post #8782 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

Nice to have you back BTW.

Thanks Jerry!

And we are in complete agreement...variability is charming but a defect is unacceptable!
post #8783 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

That's a lot of EG...

I not sure I would call that a lot.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #8784 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post

Interesting perspective/experience Jerry, though far from my own, I must admit.

I think my sentiment for EG is well known around these parts and I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed with their shoes. My experience with Vass has been equally good.

Aesthetics aside, the main difference I see is that EG (and Lobb for that matter) is essentially a factory that produces a relatively large number of shoes per year and has what I would call an assembly-line approach to their production. Vass, on the other hand, is still making shoes in a one-off manner which, by definition, increases the likelihood for defects.

An apt analogy might be...Will Charvet and and Fray have a cleaner stitch than a shirt that is made by hand? Almost certainly. Will the handmade shirt sometimes lose a button or see a stitch come unraveled, again in my experience, almost certainly. This comes along with territory in a handmade article and we can either live with it or not, but to expect cookie cutter perfection (not implying this your expectation Jerry) from a handmade operation will always lead to disappointment.

 

Great post.

post #8785 of 13483
OFFS! I haven't even got my first pair yet and you guys are giving me the fear! (Otherwise known as the Meermin)
post #8786 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post

I not sure I would call that a lot.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I forget, now that you're back you've raised the baseline. nod[1].gif

I can now defer to a couple of guys when my fiance says I have "a lot" of shoes. thumbs-up.gif
post #8787 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstomcat View Post

Great shoes, unfortunately that area is snug for my oxfords in F last as well and it doesn't seem to loosen up. My F last bluchers on the contrary fits extremely well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstomcat View Post

Great shoes, unfortunately that area is snug for my oxfords in F last as well and it doesn't seem to loosen up. My F last bluchers on the contrary fits extremely well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

A cobbler could stretch that area.

I have exactly the same problem. That is where the stitching is located and it is unlikely to stretch after wear. I might take my shoes to cobbler but Nick is the only one I trust to do that job.
post #8788 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
 


My bank's online transfer allows me to tick box of paying all cost from payer's account so that recipient can get the stated amount in full.  Better check with your bank, there should be an option doing so.   I also think Mr. Kuti should be able to tell how much their local bank is charging on receipt of the money.  

finally got confirmation from Kuti, I will pay 10 more  and use SHA to make the wire transfer. 

post #8789 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post

OFFS! I haven't even got my first pair yet and you guys are giving me the fear! (Otherwise known as the Meermin)

Not even close!
post #8790 of 13483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post



Not even close!

 



Gawd, I hope not!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread