or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread - Page 287

post #4291 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

picture from earlier poster, aon.
F Last, Old English II
263
Narrowed my choice down to these, can someone tell me the difference between Vass' Oxblood, Bordeaux, and Burgundy? Thanks

These look really swell, are you buying directly from Vass or through a proxy?
post #4292 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post

These look really swell, are you buying directly from Vass or through a proxy?

Direct
post #4293 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

picture from earlier poster, aon.
F Last, Old English II

Narrowed my choice down to these, can someone tell me the difference between Vass' Oxblood, Bordeaux, and Burgundy? Thanks

 

 

Gyasih, great choice, don't think you can go wrong with those in Oxblood, which BTW in office lighting comes across as a very dark, almost black, and in bright sun kind of purplish or aubergine.

 

AFAIK Bordeaux and Burgundy are the same thing, and also have quite a purplish/red tinge, tho much brighter than Oxblood.    The closest Vass color to a  traditional burgundy, like say a shell No 8, is 6125  'Dark Cognac', which doesn't come across well in those otherwise terrific color charts.     IMO   the Dark Cognac is the Vass color that goes with just about any trouser-  all greys, blues and tans.  The Vass burgundy and 'Red Cognac' are too bright for my taste.

post #4294 of 12876
^^ I think I will settle for Oxblood. If all goes well, Dark Cognac may be my next choice. Thanks for the advice.

It's interesting how everyone is recommending 44 in F-last and Vass recommended 44.5, based on the following-external measurements (104 last) are 31.8cm x 11cm, and the internal measurements are 30cm x 10.5cm.
post #4295 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

^^ I think I will settle for Oxblood. If all goes well, Dark Cognac may be my next choice. Thanks for the advice.
It's interesting how everyone is recommending 44 in F-last and Vass recommended 44.5, based on the following-external measurements (104 last) are 31.8cm x 11cm, and the internal measurements are 30cm x 10.5cm.

 

Oxblood in that style is up there with the nicest shoes in all Christendom.  BTW re: sizing-  I've definitely noticed some settling and stretching over time, so if you go too tight you might be okay if you're just patient.  On the other hand if yo go too loose it's usually nothing that a nice leather insert won't fix.  I have 3 Vass lasts in 2 diff sizes and am quite happy with the variety.  When I want something smaller, with a sharper suit, I'll use the smaller shoes, but when I wear something more casual, or with a wider trouser hem, I'll go for the larger size.  This may seem odd, but it works for me.  As a matter of fact I like having the shoes slightly large because the leather insert cushions my step.

post #4296 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Direct

How much directly from Vass? Also, will they ship thru carrier other than FedEx?
If you are 10.5 in AS shoes, you should probably go with 44.5 on F last.
post #4297 of 12876
It came out to 5-something. I haven't gotten the final price and I have to include my bank's $45 wire transfer fee.

No, they won't ship thru anyone else. I am hoping I don't get charged again considering I just got a package several months ago so they shouldn't need anything else from me. Or I will try an broker myself.

I wear a 10UK in AS.
post #4298 of 12876
You will most definitely get charged by FedEx, I have yet to receive anything and not be charged and I think it is 8 percent for shoes. You may want to use a proxy then, might be worth it.
post #4299 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post


How much directly from Vass? Also, will they ship thru carrier other than FedEx?
If you are 10.5 in AS shoes, you should probably go with 44.5 on F last.

 

 

UK10.5 in AS  =  44.5 on F  I agree

 

But FYI  u can just order in UK size 

post #4300 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

It came out to 5-something. I haven't gotten the final price and I have to include my bank's $45 wire transfer fee.
No, they won't ship thru anyone else. I am hoping I don't get charged again considering I just got a package several months ago so they shouldn't need anything else from me. Or I will try an broker myself.
I wear a 10UK in AS.
then you need a 44
post #4301 of 12876
Thanks for all the sizing help. Medwed, interesting that you should suggest 39.5 - I was thinking either 40 or 40.5 in U or K last. The two pairs that were on the F and in 41 were about a size too big, so I guessed that 40.5 would be correct for U/K since I have been reading suggestions to half-size up from F.

Also, is that color that everyone marvels over "antique cognac" or "6125 cognac"? I know this may sound vague, but lots seem to say that it's one of Vass' best colors. I thought there was only one "antique cognac" color until I saw the color chart on the previous page. There's this beautiful pair of austerity brogues posted some time ago that I really like - I'll get the photo later (at work). I thought they're antique cognac but now I'm not sure if they're 6125...
post #4302 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarium View Post

Thanks for all the sizing help. Medwed, interesting that you should suggest 39.5 - I was thinking either 40 or 40.5 in U or K last. The two pairs that were on the F and in 41 were about a size too big, so I guessed that 40.5 would be correct for U/K since I have been reading suggestions to half-size up from F.
Also, is that color that everyone marvels over "antique cognac" or "6125 cognac"? I know this may sound vague, but lots seem to say that it's one of Vass' best colors. I thought there was only one "antique cognac" color until I saw the color chart on the previous page. There's this beautiful pair of austerity brogues posted some time ago that I really like - I'll get the photo later (at work). I thought they're antique cognac but now I'm not sure if they're 6125...

 

 

Can't speak for what 'lots seem to say' but  IMO it's 6125 'Dark Cognac' which is most versatile & most like a generic burgundy.  

 

In this pic  Dark Cognac is in the middle, Antic Cognac is on the outside.  Antic Cognac has a lot more brown in it.  Click and enlarge pics for better look.

 

 

 

^^ Antic Cog

 

Dark Cog


Edited by Pliny - 9/9/12 at 3:49am
post #4303 of 12876
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 View Post

Fresh pr0n
Budapest Oxford Plain aka "Austerity Brogue", 6125 Dark Cognac, U-last, Double sole tapering to single

500
500
500
500
500

 

These are the pair of austerity brogues I was mentioning. I'll base my MTO on this; but I'm still deciding between antique cognac and 6125 dark cognac. I'm leaning more towards antique though - I owned a pair of oxfords that were a size too big in antique cognac and I really liked that color.

post #4304 of 12876
^ Antique is the way to go, no question about it
post #4305 of 12876

It seems all of us know that Vass is one of the trickiest brands in terms of sizing. I was wondering would it help forum members to determine their sizes if someone took the measurements of the lasts (U,F,K ,P2 etc.)  in the sizes offered by Vass  based on the following:

 

1) Width

2) Length

3) Toes

4) Instep

5) Arch; and

6) Through the heel

 

This is illustrated in this picture (though measurements will betaken on a last rather then on an actual foot as illustrated below).

 

 

 

 

 

I have a friend in Budapest whose studio is just 10 minutes away from the Vass shop and he is willing to help me out on this. Was just wondering whether this would be helpful in helping to determine the sizing for Vass or will it be a waste of time. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass Porn Thread