Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Today at 1:24 am in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 3:57 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 594post #8896 of 1855511/8/13 at 11:44pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8897 of 1855511/9/13 at 4:12am
I've never understood the need to scoff at the aesthetic preferences of others - and I suppose I never will. There's plenty I like and plenty I don't. Expressing a preference is fine - hey, we are here to talk shoes and clothes and suchlike. But I don't start from the position that everything that doesn't appeal to me personally is, by definition, "lesser" is some objective or qualitative respect.post #8898 of 1855511/9/13 at 5:40amRogerP, we scoff at the aesthetic preferences of others because we're human. Living in a world of well educated perfect gentlemen and ladies would be for me a disaster. Ones ability to be able to entertain the strong likes and dislikes of others, no matter how they're stated, is what seperates us from the apes, maybe.post #8899 of 1855511/9/13 at 5:46amQuote:Originally Posted by BeSpiffington
RogerP, we scoff at the aesthetic preferences of others because we're human. Living in a world of well educated perfect gentlemen and ladies would be for me a disaster. Ones ability to be able to entertain the strong likes and dislikes of others, no matter how they're stated, is what seperates us from the apes, maybe.
I don't think the choices are quite so stark as constrained genteel politeness versus heaping scorn and derision upon all that falls outside the confines of our personal preferences. And while I entertain the expression of personal preference just fine, I have to say that I sincerely hope that much more than that stands between us and the apes.post #8900 of 1855511/9/13 at 6:04ampost #8901 of 1855511/9/13 at 2:47pmpost #8902 of 1855511/9/13 at 9:48pm
If we are still speaking of Vass (several others creeped in and out) then upon request they tend to send a can of Saphir in the color.
To get 'antiquing' or burnishing, the technique involves a lot of patient application of wax/oil with a tinge of water. Repeatedly. My Vass or Santoni shoes are done this way and over a year or so of patina, the shading becomes more or less permanent.post #8903 of 1855511/9/13 at 9:52pmpost #8904 of 1855511/10/13 at 7:37amQuote:
EG and GG use crust leather so that they can finish their way, different colors,antiquing etc, since Vass does not do it to-date they let the tanneries finish it for them.
Edited by sstomcat - 11/10/13 at 9:22ampost #8905 of 1855511/11/13 at 11:14ampost #8906 of 1855511/11/13 at 2:23pmpost #8907 of 1855511/11/13 at 2:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by stmaier
delivery from Hungary today...this is the Vass interpretation of the EG Nevis...Deep Cognac Cordovan, F Last
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Very nice boots. I can't make it out in the picture but did they duplicate the split toe stitching that's found on the Nevis and Dover?post #8908 of 1855511/11/13 at 3:55pmQuote:
They did not. I gave them free reign to to their interpretation...not exactly what I was expecting but I am very happy with the end result...post #8909 of 1855511/11/13 at 8:57pm
- The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 43 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 1 minute ago
- › Ordering custom Vibergs 2 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 3 minutes ago
- › Balmoral Boot Porn 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale? 5 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...