Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on 2/2/16 at 2:59pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 2/2/16 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- What is bullhide, and why is it attractive/desirable? What are its...Last edited: 2/1/16
- Aren't technically almost all shoe leathers corrected grain?Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 522post #7816 of 185078/4/13 at 2:27am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #7817 of 185078/4/13 at 3:02amQuote:Box calf is normal calfOriginally Posted by venividivicibj
hey guys, Vass uses "box calf" which is different than normal calfskin, how should it be treated differently (with creams/waxs/conditioners).
Saphir has http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/polish-creams-cleaners-price-asc/products/saphir-nappa-leather-cream-75ml
is it necessary, or is normal reno okay?post #7818 of 185078/4/13 at 3:36amQuote:
TS, can you kindly share some scan of the 125 or even some side-by-side pic with 64? I am struggling to find those other than the stock photos. Thanks.post #7819 of 185078/4/13 at 10:11ampost #7820 of 185078/4/13 at 12:23pmQuote:In the book "Handmade shoes for men" by Lazslo Vass, he defines Box Calf as high quality calf leather tanned with chromium salts.Originally Posted by venividivicibj
It is "normal" calf (if by "normal" is ment quality full grain calf leather) and it can be maintained the same way as other quality full grain leathers. Reno will be just fine, as will any quality shoe care products.
Edited by Swede66 - 8/5/13 at 4:16ampost #7821 of 185078/4/13 at 8:59pmpost #7822 of 185078/5/13 at 1:41ampost #7823 of 185078/5/13 at 2:29ampost #7824 of 185078/5/13 at 3:34ampost #7825 of 185078/5/13 at 6:33pmpost #7826 of 185078/7/13 at 12:45pmpost #7827 of 185078/7/13 at 12:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson
FYI: The tannery Ilcea has now gone bankrupt. Was known that they had problems, apparently too big ones. Such a shame, just when Vass did make the great step to order in antique leathers, and great ones as well, they only receive two badges and that's all. Sad indeed.
Sad news, especially when some of their leathers just popping up everywhere. Any info as to what kind of bankruptcy they undertook?post #7828 of 185078/7/13 at 12:57pmpost #7829 of 185078/7/13 at 1:23pmlooking to get my first pair of Vass and wanted some opinions on some models/colors I have in mind. After confirming with Rezso that the F last can be made in an H width, I am interested in several shoes including: the Old english II (#62), italian oxford (#63), French oxford (#126), all on the F last.
Now I know most will say the OE II in oxblood, which I love and probably first drew my attention to Vass. But I am planning on wearing these at my wedding, so keep that in mind. I am not a huge fan of black shoes but maybe the OE has a little too much brogueing as well? Either way, I will be wearing a medium gray suit. I would really like to do something a little unorthodox, like maybe navy calf skin with navy grain or suede on a small section towards the laces. Does this seem a little too much? I'm wlecoming any and all opinions since I am having a terrible time deciding with the huge number of possibilities with models/color/calf alone or with grain or suede.
- The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...
Currently, there are 1007 Active Users (168 Members and 839 Guests)
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 39 seconds ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 8 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 8 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 11 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 15 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 19 minutes ago
- › Video Games 22 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 25 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 26 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...