or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 421

post #6301 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle13 View Post

 

 

Can anyone tell me whether these are single or double soled?

Not a good angle to tell...but my first instinct was...HAF sole (or as Razor say, 'double to single'). I don't like them soles myself as it upsets the symmetry of a nice shoe.

 

Between Vass &GG, I wear both and I think it depends on the models you are comparing. For oxford designs, I think it's about the same.

 

Although I feel GG is a touch ahead in terms of little refinements that add up to larger than the sum of the parts.

 

Vass has very nice lasts while in GG I only like MH71 and KN14.

 

Personal opinion, yours may vary. 

post #6302 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

So if GG and vass were the same price point, vass is the superior made shoe? In terms of construction finishing and leather...

To be honest, if you are good at polishing and leather colouring (patina), I think Vass can be better than G&G, because Vass's leather is just as comfortable as G&G, if not better.
post #6303 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

So if GG and vass were the same price point, vass is the superior made shoe? In terms of construction finishing and leather...

To be honest, if you are good at polishing and leather colouring (patina), I think Vass can be better than G&G, because Vass's leather is just as comfortable as G&G, if not better.

 

And hand welted, free MTO, etc.

post #6304 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrut View Post

So if GG and vass were the same price point, vass is the superior made shoe? In terms of construction finishing and leather...

If GG; EG; C&J Benchgrade; SCrispin; Lobb Prestige and Vass were the same price point - superiority in terms of:

 

Construction

1) Vass

2) SC & Lobb Prestige

3) EG & GG

4) C&J's

 

Leather Grade

1) Lobb Prestige

2) Vass

3) SC & GG

4) EG

5) C&J's

 

Refinement

1) Lobb Prestige

2) SC/GG

3) Vass/EG

4) C&J's

 

Aesthetic

Personal Taste.


Edited by Ilovelobbs - 3/21/13 at 4:56am
post #6305 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post


To be honest, if you are good at polishing and leather colouring (patina), I think Vass can be better than G&G, because Vass's leather is just as comfortable as G&G, if not better.

Vass French Calf is superior than EG and GG crust-state or what ever leather state they came in.  The finishing of Vass French calf requires no messing around with burnishing or fancy patina.

It they had the time, then aesthetically Vass would touch another level.  Honestly, some of EG patina and burnishing is a joke nowadays, its a few finger dabble on the toe cap - it looks so high volumn to a point of hitting Church low standard.

 

The Vass calf doesn't lose its deep rich colour and you only need a damp cloth and some cream to keep it moisturised and soft...


Edited by Ilovelobbs - 3/21/13 at 4:55am
post #6306 of 20253

So in case VASS is the the best quality shoes out there?

post #6307 of 20253
I have a pair of F-last in 44, when I first wore them they had the V in the lacing that everyone talks about. The laces are almost fully closed now, does that suggest the shoes are too big? And will Vass make two different size shoes in the same order, i.e. 43.5/44?
post #6308 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

So in case VASS is the the best quality shoes out there?

Everything relative and comes at a price.

 

Vass offers the best quality for the prices being charged.

God forbid Hermes/LVHM/Prada keeps away from this

brand - otherwise you can kiss goodbye to the prices and

say hello to machines and plastic and more patent plastic

leather.  

post #6309 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

I have a pair of F-last in 44, when I first wore them they had the V in the lacing that everyone talks about. The laces are almost fully closed now, does that suggest the shoes are too big? And will Vass make two different size shoes in the same order, i.e. 43.5/44?

Depends on the gap of the V during initiation stage - was it over 1cm and now it's touching or even overlapping

after several months of breaking into them. Just means you're breaking into them very well..

 

But there have been misunderstanding in the past with Vass sizing, because they use the hyphen symbol ( - )

to indicate half sizes. 

 

44.5 = 44-

44 = 44

43.5 = 43- 

43 = 43

42.5 = 42-

42 = 42

 

Some try on a 43-  thinking they are trying on a size 43, where in fact it's a size 43.5


Edited by Ilovelobbs - 3/21/13 at 5:25am
post #6310 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Sweet! It does not suck to be you.

Thank you all - be alot sweeter if my horse come in :)

post #6311 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelobbs View Post

Everything relative and comes at a price.

 

Vass offers the best quality for the prices being charged.

God forbid Hermes/LVHM/Prada keeps away from this

brand - otherwise you can kiss goodbye to the prices and

say hello to machines and plastic and more patent plastic

leather.  

Now you make me wanna go for VASS again :D

 

But how would you compare C&J and VASS.

post #6312 of 20253
Good morning, I received this pair yesterday and I'm going to return them tomorrow and exchange them for a similar pair. They are in Saddle shell cordovan, F last. The shoes are perfect, the reason I'm returning is because I ordered Antique cognac shell, not saddle/whiskey and I have enough of those. Also I didn't request the natural soles. Normally I keep the mistakes, not this one.

So if anyone is interested I could sell them at exactly the same price I paid. Just a note guys, this is not a sales post, no profit here, there is absolutely no problem for me to exchange them, it's all been arranged with Vass already, It's just that if someone would enjoy something as nice like this you could have it quick, pay via paypal etc.

Size is about 40.5, UK6.5 or 7E, US7.5 or 8D. Please reply or send me a PM before tomorrow if interested. I have the price at the office, will post a little later.






post #6313 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Now you make me wanna go for VASS again :D

 

But how would you compare C&J and VASS.

I have a soft spot for C&J's - they were my first ever quality grade shoes - I still have them after 10+ years of service...

 

What do you wish me to compare?

Prices; Construction; Leather; Types of buyer...

post #6314 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelobbs View Post

I have a soft spot for C&J's - they were my first ever quality grade shoes - I still have them after 10+ years of service...

 

What do you wish me to compare?

Prices; Construction; Leather; Types of buyer...

Construction and leather mostly.

 

Well i'm a C&J user for many years now, so I find it really hard to change to something new. But if it's worth it I would, like I did with G&G (love them over everything now)

post #6315 of 20253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Construction and leather mostly.

 

Well i'm a C&J user for many years now, so I find it really hard to change to something new. But if it's worth it I would, like I did with G&G (love them over everything now)

2 quotes to give you the bare maximum in life...

 

“It is easier to do many things than to do one thing continuously for a long time.”
Marcus Fabius Quintilian Quotes

 

“My philosophy? Simplicity plus variety.”
Hank Stram Quotes

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)