Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Yesterday at 8:23 pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 8/29/16 at 11:17am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 410post #6136 of 198403/15/13 at 10:35ampost #6137 of 198403/15/13 at 10:59ampost #6138 of 198403/15/13 at 11:25amQuote:Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by RogerP
I'd go double sole - I just have a very strong preference on that point. It's hardly going to overwhelm the shoe and make it look overly heavy - particularly if it transitions to a single sole under the arch. And I generally don't like an overly delicate-looking shoe to begin with.
Love Goyser stitching, but not sure I see it here.Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Ilovelobbs
Have to agree with your comments on double sole - but....only if the shoe is a size 42 or bigger....
and only if Vass skilled craftsman at hand by tapering the double sole into a sublime single at
the waist....it just ooozes class.
Double sole on size 41 or smaller can look oddly stunted and chunky if you know what I mean....
Also bear in mind the cost of replacing your sole can cost €130 from Vass (that's excluding shipping).
Single sole has it advantages on the K & U last...it simply looks sleek
Thanks for all your thoughts, gentlemen. I think I will defer the Goyser sewing to another Vass order.
These loafers will likely be a size 45, since that fits me well in the New Peter last, and I'd wear them casually. So I think a double sole could work. I'm also considering Dainite. Mr. Kuti says they can add the Dainite to a thin leather sole to create essentially a single sole.
In fact, this is the shoe as shown on the Vass site, and noted as single sole:
This is a Budapest last Norweger (albeit not a loafer) that's said to show a double sole:
Hard to tell whicht I'd prefer from looking at the photos. I don't think I'd taper from double to single though, not on the Budapest last anyway.
And just in case anyone here is interested, here is a photo of the available scotch grain that Mr. Kuti sent:
From the left to the right: Bordeaux, blue, black, brown, red, cognac.post #6139 of 198403/15/13 at 1:08pmpost #6140 of 198403/15/13 at 1:37pmpost #6141 of 198403/15/13 at 2:11pmpost #6142 of 198403/15/13 at 2:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by RogerP
Fair enough comment on size - I wear a 43, so the double sole looks good in pretty much any application to my eye.
My K lasted Vass is double-soled, tapered to a single at the waist - I wouldn't have it any other way.
And since the double soles will last a good long while, the ultimate cost of resoling is quite significantly deferred.
Another factor is weight and height.
The average Italian build can get away with a slim single shoe....
Our average American cousin may need to re-consider his optionpost #6143 of 198403/15/13 at 2:16pmpost #6144 of 198403/15/13 at 3:06pmpost #6145 of 198403/15/13 at 3:33pmpost #6146 of 198403/15/13 at 3:40pmpost #6147 of 198403/15/13 at 4:11pmpost #6148 of 198403/15/13 at 4:39pmpost #6149 of 198403/15/13 at 4:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by arglist
Guys, I have a question for the Vass cracks. I have ordered and quite promply received a pair of beautiful of Old English Oxfords on F-last in size 41.
They came together with a pair of standard trees that were clearly too small although being marked 41. I stupidly did not follow my gut feeling and used them anyway after wearing the shoes which caused quite some creasing on the foreshoe (vamp, I think it's called).
Anyway I wrote Mr. Kuti and asked about it. He promply sent me a pair of trees in 42 which filled my shoes quite nicely.
But, and here's my question: unlike all other trees I own the wood does not touch the vamp leather from inside. Instead it just stretches the leather by spring force. Is that normal and if so is it effective in preventing creasing?
Thanks for your opinions.
As long as the tree is forcing the shoe to straighten up, thats good enough. You don't want the tree to be touching the vamp area, it is actually not good for the shoepost #6150 of 198403/15/13 at 5:06pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Viberg Boots 49 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › FREEMANS SPORTING CLUB - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Drake's London Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Random food thoughts - Street edition 4 minutes ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 6 minutes ago
- › Official Terrorist Bombing and Other Acts of Inhumanity Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding