+1. The absurd brokerage fee is what kills you. Also, I think crup has a high import tariff.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on 2/12/16 at 1:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 6:25 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 268post #4006 of 186057/28/12 at 3:24pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4007 of 186057/28/12 at 3:29pmpost #4008 of 186057/28/12 at 3:31pmpost #4009 of 186057/28/12 at 3:37pmpost #4010 of 186057/28/12 at 3:58pmListen my friend, I suggest using a proxy. I switched to one after that bill and I have been happy with my orders. Recently I was in need of some classics, and the proxy's next order wasn't due for a while so I contacted vass and was told about their "new plan" to declare orders as sample shoes. I made it clear that I wasnt going to be paying any duty fees and placed an order for 2 oxfords. I will keep you informed on the duty situation and we shall see if vass's plan will actually work.post #4011 of 186057/28/12 at 4:05pmQuote:To avoid US customs brokerage agency rip-off you must ask VASS to ship your shoes via Magyar Post and put low value on the box. They do it for me and I never paid a cent. BTW, the customs duties for shoes are around $45.00 , it is the bogus brokerage agency that is acting like a middle-man & collects hundreds of dollars for doing absolutely nothing. Lovely racket if you can get on the take.
P.S. The reason Vass does not use Magyar Post is , imho, strange Hungarian inferiority complex and thinking that their postal service in unreliable. Magyar Post is reliable just like Austrian Postal Srvc.post #4012 of 186057/28/12 at 4:53pmQuote:
I wonder if origin is a factor. I've had numerous shoes shipped via FedEx delivered from the UK and I never had any courier-specific fees.Quote:
The 2nd and 3rd pair were in the same shipment or were they subsequent orders?post #4013 of 186057/28/12 at 5:08pmQuote:
The 2nd and 3rd pair were in subsequent orders.
If using a specific shipper I believe courier fees are not levied in a country specific manner. Whether or not one is assessed a fee appears somewhat stochastic. For example, EG Jermyn Street always sends shoes using the same shipper and fills out the paperwork the same way every time. However, I've only paid fees once out of many shipments. I've had a similar experience with other UK based vendors- fees levied randomly despite similar paperwork and same shipper.
Frankly I think the safest bet to avoid fees is to use government post. It is the only shipping method I have used that has never resulted in fees. Many vendors refuse to do this now, however. I'm told it is due to the inability to track from point to point.post #4014 of 186057/29/12 at 12:37ampost #4015 of 186057/29/12 at 4:49ampost #4016 of 186057/29/12 at 4:59ampost #4017 of 186057/29/12 at 6:15ampost #4018 of 186057/29/12 at 7:12ampost #4019 of 186057/29/12 at 10:24amQuote:
I agree, though custom's fees assessed at random, there is nothing random about the stock market- the longer you play it the higher probability of you loosing it all. So by all means order VASS, it is far better investment than government bonds or stocks.post #4020 of 186057/29/12 at 11:48am
Does anyone know if the extra FedEx costs that all you US customers experience also happens to European customers (in a less costly extent though, but still)? I've ordered a pair of double monks in antique cognac on the U-last which are supposed to be made ready tomorrow, and the shipping cost I¨ve paid to Vass for shipping to Sweden was 20 euros. Just wonder if I can expect an extra fee from the fine FedEx-people even if I'm in the EU.
- The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 3 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.