Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- SOLD! VASS dark cognac oxford with brogues Last post on 2/16/17 at 3:48am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Today at 3:33 pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 7:51 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 1312post #19666 of 208907/14/16 at 7:06pmpost #19667 of 208907/14/16 at 7:14pmpost #19668 of 208907/14/16 at 7:45pmpost #19669 of 208907/14/16 at 8:00pmpost #19670 of 208907/14/16 at 8:59pmQuote:
Seems a bit too categorical, since the construction in this particular instance is, somewhat anomalously, different from the way the outsole is put on. Seeing as the outsole is probably the least important part of a shoe following the lace, I wouldn't write off something that's otherwise well constructed.post #19671 of 208907/14/16 at 9:04pmpost #19672 of 208907/14/16 at 9:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by jssdc
Seems a bit too categorical, since the construction in this particular instance is, somewhat anomalously, different from the way the outsole is put on. Seeing as the outsole is probably the least important part of a shoe following the lace, I wouldn't write off something that's otherwise well constructed.
"Otherwise well constructed" is exactly my point. Don't half ass a job, no half measures. Do it properly.post #19673 of 208907/15/16 at 5:22ampost #19674 of 208907/15/16 at 9:41amQuote:
If you have ever bought a Goodyear welted shoe, you have already done this.Quote:
VASS shoes are arguably better constructed than most shoe brands we talk about on this forum. It's interesting that you would suggest the opposite because their old school techniques limit the way they can attach rubber soles on their shoes. The shoe orthodoxy considers rubber soles a half measure, which is probably why they are not set up to "do it properly".
As far as their construction being half assed or not done properly, that is a bad argument. A better one would be that they should not offer rubber soles, if people are not happy with how they apply them.post #19675 of 208907/15/16 at 3:03pmAllow me to chime in on this discussion. I have visited the Vass workshop a couple of times myself, and can say the following about hand/machine sttiching.
There are no stitching machines at the Vass workshop (apart from, obviously, some singer machines used to stitch the uppers).
As already said, there is indeed a difference between the welt stitching, and the sole stiching. At Vass, both are done by hand. The welt stitching is done the traditional way, and is what makes Vass able to say they make handwelted shoes.
The sole stitching is also dnoe compeltely by hand. The leather soles are glued to the shoe, then hammered. A channel is cut with a shoemaker's knife, and the sole edge stitching is stitched inside that channel, completely by hand. The channel is then hammered close, so the stithcing is invisible from the outside.
For a Dainite sole, the sole is glued to the shoe as with any other maker, and instead of stitching it all the way round, Vass only stitched the toe area. This is because the glue is strong enough to hold the rubber to the leather, but since the tip area undergoes a lot of stress, they stitch it by hand to ensure the tip won't come loose. Could they stitch the entire Dainit sole by hand? Sure.. They just decide not to since the glue used makes for a strong enough bond.
I have attached a couple of pictures to show the process.post #19676 of 208907/15/16 at 8:38pmpost #19677 of 208907/16/16 at 8:20ampost #19678 of 208907/16/16 at 9:59ampost #19679 of 208907/16/16 at 10:43amQuote:
I've never owned or ordered Bonafe but most of the StC examples I have seen do not appear to be stitched through the Dianite and are most likely glued, please correct me if I am wrong as I am no expert on technique. I do recall someone mentioning that Vass will do a complete sole stitch if requested.post #19680 of 208907/16/16 at 4:26pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 8 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 10 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 11 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion 15 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 16 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 18 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...