Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Yesterday at 9:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 10/23/16 at 11:52pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 1311post #19652 of 200527/12/16 at 5:15pmQuote:
That's a disappointment. I'd rather save the money. I suppose I'll have to think about that one given I've been planning for a pair of Vass shoes in the near future.post #19653 of 200527/12/16 at 7:32pmpost #19654 of 200527/14/16 at 1:49pmBeautiful shoes. I have a question regarding the dainite sole. Do you know if Vass stitches through the Dainite sole or is the dainite sole only glued? Do you know if it is easy to renew a dainite sole? Do you have any experience regarding the lifetime of dainite soles on your Vass shoes? Thank you!post #19655 of 200527/14/16 at 2:37pmQuote:iirc, Vass did not like using Dainite soles originally because they were not having desirable results with them. They've since been stitching a section at the toes and gluing the rest with much better results, to my understanding. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, as this was discussed sometime ago.Originally Posted by Xabia
Beautiful shoes. I have a question regarding the dainite sole. Do you know if Vass stitches through the Dainite sole or is the dainite sole only glued? Do you know if it is easy to renew a dainite sole? Do you have any experience regarding the lifetime of dainite soles on your Vass shoes? Thank you!post #19656 of 200527/14/16 at 3:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by rc121
iirc, Vass did not like using Dainite soles originally because they were not having desirable results with them. They've since been stitching a section at the toes and gluing the rest with much better results, to my understanding. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, as this was discussed sometime ago.
Never understood what "desirable results" entailed and why Vass can't stitch on a dainite sole. Meermin, AE, even Jack Erwin can stitch on a rubber sole but not Vass? It's almost embarrassing given they make high quality shoes.post #19657 of 200527/14/16 at 3:11pmQuote:
IIRC, they don't have the machine necessary to stitch on rubber soles like Dainite.post #19658 of 200527/14/16 at 3:13pmQuote:
Isn't it because Vass is handwelted? St Crispins doesn't stitch through dainite either.post #19659 of 200527/14/16 at 4:16pmpost #19660 of 200527/14/16 at 4:57pmpost #19661 of 200527/14/16 at 5:07pmpost #19662 of 200527/14/16 at 5:12pmHandwelting and outsole stitching are 2 different matters altogether.
A good number of hand welted shoes have their outsoles machine stitched. Even some Japanese makers offer it. It's just a matter of cost. Hand stitching the outsoles are very laborious and some high end makers offer it to customers for a price break.
Bonafe stitches the outsoles by machine.
St C stitches the outsole with a hand cranked machine. Except the waist, which is pegged. So yes. The outsole is still stitched (mostly). But not by hand.
I've heard that Vass stitches the outsole by hand, if I'm not wrong. Albeit at a very low SPI. So it's entirely possible they do not have the machinery to execute a machine stitched (rubber) outsole.
Carmina, C&J, EG and all other gyw makers all stitch the outsoles (dainite or leather) by machine.
Edited by ThunderMarch - 7/14/16 at 5:27pmpost #19663 of 200527/14/16 at 6:30pmpost #19664 of 200527/14/16 at 6:39pm
^Yes. I do not think Vass has an E-Rapid machine to stitch their outsoles. Therefore they stitch by hand just the tip of the rubber outsole for extra protection. The process to stitch by hand most part of the rubber outsole (270º) even at 6 SPI must demand a great efford and has to be time-consuming. I never heard of any complain though.post #19665 of 200527/14/16 at 6:49pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 minute ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › new Yoox codes and sales - post them here 4 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 5 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 7 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 8 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 9 minutes ago
- › Leather or rubber soles? 10 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 13 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...