or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 1308

post #19606 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAE View Post

Just received plum museum shoes, with surprisingly uniform color, which is not "museum" enough for me. Is there anything i can do to bring more character (maybe sun exposure)?

Also, can somebody recommend belt to match plum museum?

Thank you

The plum museum leather has a quite subtle museum effect. Sometimes it looks more pronounced in pictures than IRL. Unfortunately I have no idea how to bring out a more mottled effect...

The below picture is from the Vass shop where the shoe inte front is in oxblood calf while the shoe in the back is in plum museum.

You can get a matching belt from Vass, that's what I did smile.gif

post #19607 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by anzo View Post

The plum museum leather has a quite subtle museum effect. Sometimes it looks more pronounced in pictures than IRL. Unfortunately I have no idea how to bring out a more mottled effect...

The below picture is from the Vass shop where the shoe inte front is in oxblood calf while the shoe in the back is in plum museum.

You can get a matching belt from Vass, that's what I did smile.gif


I believe bespoke england also has some lobb plum museum belts on sale. Not sure of the sizes left
post #19608 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post

He was simply asking what he can do if he is not happy with museums effect I told him he should buy higher end brand shoe. Reason for that is it will give him what he is looking for. He can't do any thing to Vass museums to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCal View Post

He just got a hide that wasn't as mottled, I can see it being a bit disappointing too.  That is the allure of the museum calf after all.  Lobb is likely just more selective in what makes it to production.  Perhaps they get premium hides at a premium?  Who knows.  

Either way, if it doesn't shoe museum effects, hi shine it or burnish it in areas and make it work because its easy to wear and a great color for footwear. 

Lobb (Hermes) owns their own tanneries so they get the first pick of the best hides before other companies are sourced to.

Having said that, I find my Lobbs to have LESS visible mottling than my Vass or Bonafe museums. In fact the brand that had the most marbling in my experience was Carmina. It was too over the top and I didn't like it. Not sure whom they source from.

Lobb:


Vass:


Bonafe:


Carmina:
post #19609 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtownMD View Post


He was simply asking what he can do if he is not happy with museums effect I told him he should buy higher end brand shoe. Reason for that is it will give him what he is looking for. He can't do any thing to Vass museums to change it.

 

I normally really like Vass museum, this is just unfortunate case of these particular shoes. Although it does look that Vass interpretation of plum museum is pretty loose. I attached two images from Vass site, both labeled plum museum. My shoe's color almost identical to the second picture.

post #19610 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCal View Post
 

He just got a hide that wasn't as mottled, I can see it being a bit disappointing too.  That is the allure of the museum calf after all.  Lobb is likely just more selective in what makes it to production.  Perhaps they get premium hides at a premium?  Who knows.  

 

Either way, if it doesn't shoe museum effects, hi shine it or burnish it in areas and make it work because its easy to wear and a great color for footwear. 


Shoe is really dark, so burnish probably won't work. Thank you for an advice though.

post #19611 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Lobb (Hermes) owns their own tanneries so they get the first pick of the best hides before other companies are sourced to.

Having said that, I find my Lobbs to have LESS visible mottling than my Vass or Bonafe museums. In fact the brand that had the most marbling in my experience was Carmina. It was too over the top and I didn't like it. Not sure whom they source from.

@peppercorn78 are your Lobbs from Lobb directly or one one of their retailers or from bespoke england (seconds, discountinued firstsetc..) just asking bc i have several MTOs from Lobb and one pair from bespoke england. It was supposed to be dark brown museum but it looks like a misty at best. Sometimes i am sure its just oxford.

In any regards i agree that too much marbling can make the shoes look over the top and not desirable IMO
post #19612 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by anzo View Post


The plum museum leather has a quite subtle museum effect. Sometimes it looks more pronounced in pictures than IRL. Unfortunately I have no idea how to bring out a more mottled effect...

The below picture is from the Vass shop where the shoe inte front is in oxblood calf while the shoe in the back is in plum museum.

You can get a matching belt from Vass, that's what I did smile.gif

 

Had no idea they sell belts. Will check it out. Thank you

post #19613 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinboston View Post


I believe bespoke england also has some lobb plum museum belts on sale. Not sure of the sizes left


My size seems out :(

post #19614 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldinboston View Post

@peppercorn78 are your Lobbs from Lobb directly or one one of their retailers or from bespoke england (seconds, discountinued firstsetc..) just asking bc i have several MTOs from Lobb and one pair from bespoke england. It was supposed to be dark brown museum but it looks like a misty at best. Sometimes i am sure its just oxford.

In any regards i agree that too much marbling can make the shoes look over the top and not desirable IMO

The Sauntons are from BE, but labeled as first quality discontinued style. They are misty as a matter of fact, not museum. I'm quite pleased with the color and finish.
post #19615 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

The Sauntons are from BE, but labeled as first quality discontinued style. They are misty as a matter of fact, not museum. I'm quite pleased with the color and finish.

Yes misty is nice. Less marbling than museum, which can be a nice thing depending on what you are looking for
post #19616 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAE View Post


Shoe is really dark, so burnish probably won't work. Thank you for an advice though.
Try a dab of saphir renovateur, it should take just a touch off the polish Incase there is too much applied on the shoe.
post #19617 of 20260
I wanted to get your opinions on this. So, I have had 5 pairs of Vass made for me without issue. My 6th came in and was made a half size too big. (My order was for my correct size, so the error is on their end.) Problem is I didn't check the sole to see the size before I wore them on NYC pavement. As for the fit, there is a decent amount of heel slippage. Spoke to Rezso and explained the situation, asking for a partial refund. He said he can't offer a partial refund because they've been worn.

He did offer to ship them back to Budapest to be narrowed. a) my problem is more the length than the width, and b) is that even a viable option? Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is what would you do in my situation?
post #19618 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc78 View Post

I wanted to get your opinions on this. So, I have had 5 pairs of Vass made for me without issue. My 6th came in and was made a half size too big. (My order was for my correct size, so the error is on their end.) Problem is I didn't check the sole to see the size before I wore them on NYC pavement. As for the fit, there is a decent amount of heel slippage. Spoke to Rezso and explained the situation, asking for a partial refund. He said he can't offer a partial refund because they've been worn.

He did offer to ship them back to Budapest to be narrowed. a) my problem is more the length than the width, and b) is that even a viable option? Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is what would you do in my situation?
Are they paying for your shipping? In all honesty put insoles on and use them. And ask for some kind of discount on next pair & move on but that is what I would do or sell them. No need to wear wrong size shoes. So you have two options, hope it helps.
post #19619 of 20260
Try selling them on here? If they're virtually new, that would probably accomplish most of the partial refund you're seeking...as well as mostly pay for the replacement pair in the right size?
post #19620 of 20260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc78 View Post

I wanted to get your opinions on this. So, I have had 5 pairs of Vass made for me without issue. My 6th came in and was made a half size too big. (My order was for my correct size, so the error is on their end.) Problem is I didn't check the sole to see the size before I wore them on NYC pavement. As for the fit, there is a decent amount of heel slippage. Spoke to Rezso and explained the situation, asking for a partial refund. He said he can't offer a partial refund because they've been worn.

He did offer to ship them back to Budapest to be narrowed. a) my problem is more the length than the width, and b) is that even a viable option? Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is what would you do in my situation?

Am sorry to hear that. 

Unfortunately, Vass is very / extremely prone to such errors, and the consumer suffers.

But once the shoes are worn, they cannot be returned. 

Your best course of action would be to sell the shoes and try to recoup as much as you can, and ask for a small discount on your next pair. It WAS their fault after all. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)