or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 1283

post #19231 of 20242


Sharing what I have received from Rezso recently. Both in F last, the pair in brown is in G-width 😉
post #19232 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielyam View Post



Sharing what I have received from Rezso recently. Both in F last, the pair in brown is in G-width 😉

Danielyam, these are honestly a terrific pair of shoes that should be the building blocks for any beginner - like myself!

And as any beginner I would appreciate some enlightenment by the experience 'members of the shoes cult'.
To give you a background, my first serious pair of shoes was a pair of black EG Epsom in 82 last, which I love, but I now need something more 'solid' like a timeless pair of black cap toe Oxford.
To get it, I will be going to Budapest next month. I like the last F and R, but for some reason I find very little info/comparison about the last R. Does anybody have any experience with the R last? And what is the best Vass last for a black cap toe Oxford? And what's Vass closest relative to the 82 last from EG (I am not after an EG copy, but it is the only reference that I have at this moment!)?

Thanks for any advice!
post #19233 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B4B View Post

Danielyam, these are honestly a terrific pair of shoes that should be the building blocks for any beginner - like myself!

And as any beginner I would appreciate some enlightenment by the experience 'members of the shoes cult'.
To give you a background, my first serious pair of shoes was a pair of black EG Epsom in 82 last, which I love, but I now need something more 'solid' like a timeless pair of black cap toe Oxford.
To get it, I will be going to Budapest next month. I like the last F and R, but for some reason I find very little info/comparison about the last R. Does anybody have any experience with the R last? And what is the best Vass last for a black cap toe Oxford? And what's Vass closest relative to the 82 last from EG (I am not after an EG copy, but it is the only reference that I have at this moment!)?

Thanks for any advice!
Aesthetically, F aims right at where the 82 has come to rest. Its normal width, however is more trim than the E82. There are people who can wear both, but for me the 82 needs more than a little conditioner and patience, and so I had to go to a wide F. I have since decided that even that doesn't work so well for me. Its shape is less bespoke-looking when my foot gets squeezed in -- a bit of the pie-server thing going on-- and it is not nearly so comfortable as the 82.

An alternative-- don't rule out the P2. I have some oxfords in it-- including a patent leather plain toe that's coming out tonight-- and while it isn't quite so elegant as the standard F, neither are my feet.
post #19234 of 20242
Quote:

Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


Yeah, thanks man. I was in Barney's recently and all those lovely JL William 2 boots were making me eager for this one to come through.
Will do. This will be my first F last actually. I've got a P2 and U, and think they both handle their girth in a pleasing manner.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

That u last double monk is amazing..

post #19235 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post

Aesthetically, F aims right at where the 82 has come to rest. Its normal width, however is more trim than the E82. There are people who can wear both, but for me the 82 needs more than a little conditioner and patience, and so I had to go to a wide F. I have since decided that even that doesn't work so well for me. Its shape is less bespoke-looking when my foot gets squeezed in -- a bit of the pie-server thing going on-- and it is not nearly so comfortable as the 82.

An alternative-- don't rule out the P2. I have some oxfords in it-- including a patent leather plain toe that's coming out tonight-- and while it isn't quite so elegant as the standard F, neither are my feet.


Thanks Concordia, the P2 looks a tad too wide from the pictures, but of course when I will see it in the flesh I can change my mind entirely. Any experience with the R last? It seem very nice, but there's very little discussion about it
post #19236 of 20242
Nope-- but you should find out pretty quickly.
post #19237 of 20242


picture credits to the owner, this is one pair of sexy wingtips in Bordeaux I believe, r last.
post #19238 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielyam View Post



picture credits to the owner, this is one pair of sexy wingtips in Bordeaux I believe, r last.

They look very good as expected! It's going to be an interesting trip to Budapest and I will probably have to force myself not to come back with the whole Vass shop!
Thanks Danielyam!
post #19239 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikod View Post


I agree, the EG's (and lobbs) look better, but after owning a pair of DB (not in that class) I can say that I don't like any of them, I just hated to see that extra buckle way in front of my pants. DM look good in photos of stylish guys with cuffed very slim pants

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


not sure what you mean by that? despite my general dislike for any dm, i don't think that a cap toe looks good on a dm? thoughts?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc894 View Post


I think the cap toe looks good on both. I just think that Vass' version looks less refined and more amorphous. More rustic maybe? It would go well with chinos but not a suit. The EG version (and JL) would do well with a suit and looks more rakish.

I love Vass F last but something about their D.M. leaves something to be desired.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


well, the fact that vass struggles with the double to single tapering has been discussed several times. the cap toe discussion splits the parties. last is a personal preference either. fit + look and feel are important, imo. although the dm is mentioned in the vass book, it is a niche product and not representative for the pedigree of the austro-hungarian shoemaking tradition. it's a niche model, imo.

Epaulet GMTO Vass Museum Cognac DM's.-F last, regular width. I had to size down .5 with these. My first and only(so far) Vass.

Maison Margiela Suit Trousers-7" leg opening.


chinos


Edited by metranger8694 - 5/8/16 at 12:55pm
post #19240 of 20242

Latest arrival. I'm done with shoes for a while. I don't even have many pairs compared to most on this board but I feel like I just don't really need more. So I ordered some Vass double monks over a year ago but sold them due to the fit of K. @RogerP always made these look great and after getting side-tracked with other shoes, I decided to give these a try again on a different last. These new ones fit nicely. I didn't expect the design to turn out the way it did with the buckles sweeping back, but I kind of like it.

 

Oxblood calf, U, HAF, metal taps, 41

 

 

 

post #19241 of 20242

Some water, brush and and just a bit of polish today.  F last @AlB4B

post #19242 of 20242
Those are sharp Ktown - congrats!
post #19243 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown View Post
 

Latest arrival. I'm done with shoes for a while. I don't even have many pairs compared to most on this board but I feel like I just don't really need more. So I ordered some Vass double monks over a year ago but sold them due to the fit of K. @RogerP always made these look great and after getting side-tracked with other shoes, I decided to give these a try again on a different last. These new ones fit nicely. I didn't expect the design to turn out the way it did with the buckles sweeping back, but I kind of like it.

 

Oxblood calf, U, HAF, metal taps, 41

 

 

 

Perfect pair with the original Vass long straps which I love it.  Did you order a square cut on the end of the straps?.  I always have @RogerP in mind with this pair.

post #19244 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post
 

Perfect pair with the original Vass long straps which I love it.  Did you order a square cut on the end of the straps?.  I always have @RogerP in mind with this pair.


No I sent a pic of @RogerP's pair, but they just turned out this way. I'm fine with it, and just attribute it to Vass variance.

post #19245 of 20242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktown View Post
 


No I sent a pic of @RogerP's pair, but they just turned out this way. I'm fine with it, and just attribute it to Vass variance.

The Vassway of life.....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)