Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Yesterday at 12:36 pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 12:29 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 1156post #17326 of 2026610/26/15 at 3:54pmpost #17327 of 2026610/26/15 at 4:17pmpost #17328 of 2026610/26/15 at 5:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
It was actually very fast. I called DHL- they forwarded me to their customs collection line. In one case I told them that the item I had sent was a sport coat and not a "coat" as in overcoat, and they dealt with it right away. In the other case I called and told them that the item shipped to me were alterations on a suit I had already paid duty on. Poole had labeled the package as "one altered suit", so again it was dealt with immediately in my favor.
This is one positive thing about DHL's policy on holding shipments with fees greater than 200 USD. Until you pay the fee and the item is in your possession, you have time to fix their screw ups.....
they hold shipments with any duties due.post #17329 of 2026610/26/15 at 5:12pmpost #17330 of 2026610/26/15 at 5:33pmpost #17331 of 2026610/26/15 at 6:29pmpost #17332 of 2026610/26/15 at 6:47pmpost #17333 of 2026610/26/15 at 7:27pmpost #17334 of 2026610/27/15 at 4:12am
* High Boot
* F Last
* Hippo Leather
* Single Leather Sole with Dainite Black
* 5 copper eyelets and 3 speed hooks
* Goyser - Stitching black
* Trimming - Black
* Lining - Tan
* Plain toe
* Size 41G
This is my third pair from a Vass. I wanted something other than 2030 service boots, but liked the idea of unique leathers. Hippo was probably the most interesting due to it’s texture and a color and so I started asking around different makers to see if they had worked with this leather before.
I contacted a few places and Rezso of Vass had told me they had some old leftover stock of Hippo Leather and that he’d be willing give me a deal on it. I talked with a few guys on here about the design and decided to try it out on a plain-toe boot. The idea is that the leather is the star of the show and I didn’t want any type of broguing that would detract from the texture. I thought the Goyser stitching was nice elegent touch and would compliment the uniqueness. If you unsure of what the Goyser stitching is, it’s a reverse welt with 3 stitches.
I was given a discount, as there’s usually a markup for exotic leathers, and ended up paying calf prices. Total came to 540 Euros which included a 3 piece shoe tree and shipping. The total turnaround time was a quick 6 weeks and all their shipping is via FedEx. All in all, Rezso of Vass was easy to work with. He’s a bit quirky and has a nerdy sense of humor. He was as excited as I was about the turnout of these boots.
The leathers are procured by culling the hippos and must be CITES certified. This means that the hippos are killed for population control and not killed for their leather. I thought this is an important distinction to note as there are some sketchy places that do breed exotic animals such as Crocodiles for the purpose of procuring their hides. /u/Casechopper probably can give more information, as he has a few exotics as well. If you are thinking of making a purchase, the supplier will need to provide documentation of proof (CITES certified) prior to shipping to your country.
The boxes come with a shoe bag, 2 sets of waxed laces and a 3 piece shoe tree. I really wanted a 3 piece boot tree but they were sadly out of stock.
When I first opened the box, I was initially kinda thrown off with how dark they were. I would classify these as Dark Grey or Black. From the initial photos of the hide, I had thought they’d be lighter grey. But it may be better in the end as they’d be easier for me to pair with my wardrobe. But in sunlight, they look very much grey and it’s easy to see the grain from the distance.
The boots are pretty kick ass. The grain texture is as I thought it’d be and Vass did a sensational job with matching up the grain direction with the different panels.
The leather is so soft, it feels a lot like nubuck but with a much much shorter nap. The texture doesn’t change visually when you brush your hand over the leather like suede or RO does. Rezso told me that these are a little on the thicker side measuring at 1.5-1.7mm. I can only guess that the hides are split similarly to Rough Out and I’m hoping someone can provide me more info on this. The goyser stitching so purrty and very glad I opted for this.
On my feet, the leather is incredibly comfortable and uppers required almost no break in time. I have worn them 2 times and they’re developing nice creasing patterns.
I had a few minor complaints. In typical Vass fashion, they tend to stray from the original specifications requested and kinda do whatever they want. I actually asked for gunmetal speedhooks and blind eyelets but got copper eyelets and speedhooks. I asked for lining like purple or grey but got tan. I also asked for a different rounded heel counter and even drew a picture but didn't get it. But in the overall scheme of things these were pretty minor.
If you are interested in Hippo leather, Vass is looking to order more of the hides come Januarypost #17335 of 2026610/27/15 at 6:10ampost #17336 of 2026610/27/15 at 7:17ampost #17337 of 2026610/27/15 at 7:37ampost #17338 of 2026610/27/15 at 3:40pmpost #17339 of 2026610/28/15 at 4:42am
All of you obviously are big fans of Vass shoes. If you are in London next week (Wednesday) and would like to see a selection of Vass shoes please send an email to the address shown below to book your place. I think it will be a great opportunity to try on some Vass models and different lasts and eventually place an order for MTO or bespoke. Lovely Rezso Kuti will be representing Vass. Some other brands will also be presenting their products, including Rampley & Co, Monsieur London, Sabel Saddlery, La Bowtique and others.
Official note, after Ascot Shoes:Ascot Shoes (Vass first Trunk in London) cordially invites you to an evening of indulgence for the modern man showcasing passionate brands in a relaxing and comfortable setting at the London Marriott Park Lane Hotel - Wednesday 4th November from 6pm to 9pm.Cocktails, Food and Wine will be flowing along with a fine selection of RTW & MTO Vass shoes will be on display. Rezso the Vass store manager will be in attendance to take Bespoke and MTO order's. We also have other Gentleman stands supplying bespoke ties; MTO briefcase; pocketsquares; belts; wallets and MTO gloves - all in time for Xmas. If you can make the evening, please send an email to: Tom Beecroft at: email@example.com. RSVP Only.
Disclaimer: I have not received anything in exchange for bringing this event to your attention. I think it will be of interest to some of view and definitely worth visiting. See you therepost #17340 of 2026610/28/15 at 8:34am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 2 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...