or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 1074

post #16096 of 20276
Very true
post #16097 of 20276

What about lower-tiered shoes? Would AE find belly leather acceptable for first quality? 

post #16098 of 20276
Lol, you guys do know eg is about 50% more expensive too? (Unless you do direct and then EG are 300% more expensive).
post #16099 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Lol, you guys do know eg is about 50% more expensive too? (Unless you do direct and then EG are 300% more expensive).
Lmao funny but very true
post #16100 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Lol, you guys do know eg is about 50% more expensive too? (Unless you do direct and then EG are 300% more expensive).

 

I think the most impressive thing from all that I have read; is that Vass makes shoes that are essentially on par more times than not with EG who's shoes are much more expensive.

post #16101 of 20276
I don't think the price difference should be an issue. Vass don't usually use leather of that quality so why accept it now?
post #16102 of 20276

@saurab, you have gotten a very nice and top briefcase at a wonderful price.  You can carry all your work home now.:)

post #16103 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohshoet View Post
 

Hey Guys,

 

I just got my first pair of MTO Vass and saw a couple of defects.

 

1. Are these acceptable for brand new shoes? There's some scuffs overall, I can live with that. But the scratches on the first two photos don't seem like they'll go away with polish.

 

2. The museum calf doesn't seem like it has a lot of mottling, like the following shoe; instead, it looks almost like solid plum:

 

 

 

Left Side of Shoe:

 

Creases on Sides:

 

 

First time I see Vass using that part of poor leather.  :facepalm:

post #16104 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

What about lower-tiered shoes? Would AE find belly leather acceptable for first quality? 

Yes and no. I got a pair of chukkas once in the mail that had awfully wrinkled belly or maybe even shoulder leather. Atrocious. So obviously it made it through the inspection process. However, I took it to a retail store for a return and they were shocked the pair had been considered first quality. I guess at any factory it depends who's manning the rudder at any given time.
post #16105 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

I think the most impressive thing from all that I have read; is that Vass makes shoes that are essentially on par more times than not with EG who's shoes are much more expensive.

Watchman,

I've tried JL, EG, Vass in the past. I feel that the leather quality of EG and JL prestige is of better quality than Vass boxcalf, but not enough to justify a 50-100% price difference. Now if you go shell cordovan, that makes Vass even better value than all the other makers. Same Horween quality cordovan across the board, but now with hand welting at 1/2 the cost. My only issue is that their lasts are a bit formal for my tastes now. I prefer the Alden/Viberg/Tricker's aesthetic more these days.
post #16106 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post

I don't think the price difference should be an issue. Vass don't usually use leather of that quality so why accept it now?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post
 

 

 

First time I see Vass using that part of poor leather.  :facepalm:

 

I contacted Vass and requested a remake without using the belly portion of the calf. Their customer service has been great so far, so I'm hoping they'll make this right. Will keep everyone updated.

post #16107 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohshoet View Post


I contacted Vass and requested a remake without using the belly portion of the calf. Their customer service has been great so far, so I'm hoping they'll make this right. Will keep everyone updated.
Good to know & keep us updated.
post #16108 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post


Watchman,

I've tried JL, EG, Vass in the past. I feel that the leather quality of EG and JL prestige is of better quality than Vass boxcalf, but not enough to justify a 50-100% price difference. Now if you go shell cordovan, that makes Vass even better value than all the other makers. Same Horween quality cordovan across the board, but now with hand welting at 1/2 the cost. My only issue is that their lasts are a bit formal for my tastes now. I prefer the Alden/Viberg/Tricker's aesthetic more these days.

 

the biggest difference to me is that EG has more unique burnishing.

 

People pay the premium for its iconic design such as Dovers, Galaways, Chelseas...

 

In terms of construction, I don't know if there's much difference between the two, at least from my untrained eye. 

post #16109 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

the biggest difference to me is that EG has more unique burnishing.

People pay the premium for its iconic design such as Dovers, Galaways, Chelseas...

In terms of construction, I don't know if there's much difference between the two, at least from my untrained eye. 

To me there is quite a clear difference. EG quality control and consistency are flawless every time. Vass fit differs a little from pair to pair, and sometimes (perhaps always, it depends how closely you look) have some minor defect in construction or finishing.

I say this as someone who has purchased
perhaps a dozen pairs of EG and probably the same of Vass and primarily chose to buy Vass now, so it's not an outright criticism. I think the differences noted above are compensated by the difference in price.
post #16110 of 20276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post


Watchman,

I've tried JL, EG, Vass in the past. I feel that the leather quality of EG and JL prestige is of better quality than Vass boxcalf, but not enough to justify a 50-100% price difference. Now if you go shell cordovan, that makes Vass even better value than all the other makers. Same Horween quality cordovan across the board, but now with hand welting at 1/2 the cost. My only issue is that their lasts are a bit formal for my tastes now. I prefer the Alden/Viberg/Tricker's aesthetic more these days.

 

Yes Sir,

 

Totally understood my friend.

 

My wardrobe needs are unique, in that I wear formal shoes and boots just as much as I do casual.

 

I am dressed very formally for my profession, both oxford boots and shoes and even bluchers that are on the more formal side.

 

I am dressed casually for my personal life.  Alden LWB and PTB, Alden boots etc.

 

So, the appeal of Vass and EB and Carmina oxford boots and shoes is very much en vogue for me.

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)