Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Today at 12:36 pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 10:56 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 1020post #15286 of 202605/25/15 at 1:38pmpost #15287 of 202605/25/15 at 1:45pmpost #15288 of 202605/25/15 at 1:57pmpost #15289 of 202605/25/15 at 1:58pmanother good measure of shell quality is to see how it responds to moisture and water. when exposed to water, the horween vass uses will slightly rise on the surface but then will subside with both brushing and time. my meermin shell on the other hand will not subside no matter how much time passes or how much i brush the affected areapost #15290 of 202605/25/15 at 10:37pmpost #15291 of 202605/26/15 at 3:03amQuote:Originally Posted by dieworkwear
@DWFII, are there any downsides to having a seamless heel like the ones shown above?
Don’t see any downside construction wise, as long as the heels are well supported.
Seamless heels do feel and looks like you’re wearing a pair of bespoke to me.
The only downside I am aware are the costs to Vass and other manufacturers in material
And wastage. Doing a seamless you’ll most probably be asking for a wholecut oxford
Or Monkstraps, thus the craftsman needs to carefully select a flawless piece of leather,
Ideally free of blemishes and defects. Any mistakes, it’s back to square one with another
large piece of leather again.
Do an image search on John Lobb: Vale & Saint Crepin 2010 models for the ultimate in
1 piece seamless heel shoes. Because of Hermes incredible attention to details, the
amount of wastage involved were above average....post #15292 of 202605/26/15 at 5:09ampost #15293 of 202605/26/15 at 5:37amQuote:
Absolutely @DWFII if it's a seamless counters--heel pieces there is no wastage to speak of.
If we're talking about a 1 piece sheet like the JL Chapel, Vale and JL SC2010 model, then the wastage margins can be higher. Then again, only the ultra skilled craftsman would be selected to work on these.post #15294 of 202605/26/15 at 6:09amQuote:Originally Posted by Sammy - Ascot
if it's a seamless counters--heel pieces there is no wastage to speak of.
If we're talking about a 1 piece sheet like the JL Chapel, Vale and JL SC2010 model, then the wastage margins can be higher. Then again, only the ultra skilled craftsman would be selected to work on these.
Well, I was "corrected" earlier on in this thread to the effect that the discussion was about seamless heels not whole cut oxfords. So I was trying to be somewhat circumspect in my response.
But be that as it may, I think we have to be very careful about using the term "waste." Many (if not all) factories will cut leather into the shoulder and belly...and use every bit of it, despite a certain knowledge that it is all but offal. This is "cutting to maximize yield or efficiency." The case can be made that there is less waste but it begs the question as to whether the shoe made with counters cut from the belly aren't themselves a waste of time and material (presuming other parts of the shoe are cut from better sections of the hide).
As a bespoke maker, I don't think it is in my interests, nor am I philosophically inclined, to embrace that approach.
I have done this work--cutting for whole cut oxfords--and although it is a large piece of leather it is, or ought to be, cut from prime leather. So yes, there is excess to deal with and some of that will be cut off...just as some excess will be trimmed and discarded on a pieced oxford; but one has to ask...what else would you cut from that section of the leather? And is there more waste to cut the whole shoe out of prime or to cut parts of the shoe from the margins?
edited for punctuation and clarity
Edited by DWFII - 5/26/15 at 6:29ampost #15295 of 202605/26/15 at 7:33ampost #15296 of 202605/26/15 at 7:34ampost #15297 of 202605/26/15 at 7:48amQuote:
BTW, its better to use local guys that accept returns before you are certain of your size.post #15298 of 202605/26/15 at 7:50ampost #15299 of 202605/26/15 at 9:30ampost #15300 of 202605/26/15 at 9:32am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 9 seconds ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 1 minute ago
- › Academia, Democrats, and Thoughtcrime 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Best selvedge jeans 6 minutes ago
- › I need feminism because tumblr 6 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 7 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...