or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 988

post #14806 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I know this has been discussed many times, but may I ask you guys the best address to email the guys at Vass? I am planning a trip to Budapest in September.


Is their workshop in the city?


Thanks.


Email Mr. Kuti. I just emailed him regarding the same (a trip to Budapest).

Here's the email address: info@vass-cipo.hu

Rock on.
Thank you!
post #14807 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

 

I disagree. Vass are made in Hungary while EG are made in England. Labor costs, tax and regulatory compliance costs, and other general costs of doing business are much higher in the UK than in Hungary.

What about Saint Crispin's? They're made in Romania and costs even more than EGs.

post #14808 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

What about Saint Crispin's? They're made in Romania and costs even more than EGs.

Volume and quality, I suppose. St.C makes only 1500 pairs per year. And they target the G&G/JL section of the market (read: the top), so their quality is commensurate with that goal.
post #14809 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post


Volume and quality, I suppose. St.C makes only 1500 pairs per year. And they target the G&G/JL section of the market (read: the top), so their quality is commensurate with that goal.

It's true that they target the top tier market, but that doesn't legitimize the pricing given their costs, especially vis-à-vis Vass' pricing. From a production cost perspective I believe there isn't much difference between StC and Vass. Although, I believe if Vass wants to raise prices, they need to have better quality control and eliminate mistakes such as forgetting specs etc. But I'm not complaining, excellent shoes for a very cometitive price.

post #14810 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockwellDay View Post

You have great info on all things Vass. Thanks for sharing.

 

No special insight; I just happened to be there a couple of weeks ago, asking about many of these things - first time I've been to Budapest, and went solely for shoe-related business.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker View Post

Mimo, do you know when the new last will be released?

 

Not sure, but I do know that it's being made in England, and I think there might be more than one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

This is very interesting. It'd be interesting to know 1) why the collaboration with Ugolini for the U and F lasts wasn't a happy one, and 2) "a couple of new lasts"? Not just one?

 

Yep, I think he said they wanted to bring in two new ones.  The thing about the U and F is that the arrangement was rather imposed upon them by Isetan: as a big customer, they had that leverage, and they asked Ugolini to go and make Vass's lasts "less ugly"!  You can imagine that this dynamic is not exactly flattering to a man of Mr Vass's standing, and apparently Mr U wasn't especially respectful about the Austro-Hungarian tradition either.  So I think that somehow the lasts are associated with a negative experience in their minds - even though they've sold so well internationally.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

Hopefully they continue with the lower instep trend

 

All of Vass's own lasts have a more normal instep in my experience - along with wider standard width.  The high insteps I would associate with the F, the U even more, and its Ascot lovechild the K, more still.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I know this has been discussed many times, but may I ask you guys the best address to email the guys at Vass? I am planning a trip to Budapest in September.

Is their workshop in the city?

Thanks.

 

Use the normal address - info@vass-cipo.hu; they will get back to you eventually.  But visiting is definitely the way to go if you can.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

Email Mr. Kuti. I just emailed him regarding the same (a trip to Budapest).

 

Here's the email address: info@vass-cipo.hu

 

Hungary should celebrate the contribution Vass is making to quality tourist numbers!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post
 

It's true that they target the top tier market, but that doesn't legitimize the pricing given their costs, especially vis-à-vis Vass' pricing.

 

St C versus Vass might also be explained by St C's having a more expensive retail presence: I'm sure having shops in Vienna is a lot more expensive than having them in Budapest.  And I have to say, St C's QC standards do seem to be exceptional.

 

But for me, the more pressing point is about the Vass (or even St C) versus G&G/JL/EG: the latter are all machine-welted shoes, gemmed with glue to the insole, and therefore essentially no different to any other GY shoe in their structure, or labour cost.  The lasts are lovely in many cases, the leather might be top notch, and the QC standards high.  But for me the value proposition has never quite been good enough, and I can say honestly that I've never paid more for a GY shoe than I would for Vass - the most expensive being some AE shell and some C&J, on special offer.

 

I think St Crispin's are something of a middle way.  Vass have their quirks, but remain great value for me.  There will be other options, and I intend to arrange one personally by this time next year. ;)

post #14811 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

It's true that they target the top tier market, but that doesn't legitimize the pricing given their costs, especially vis-à-vis Vass' pricing. From a production cost perspective I believe there isn't much difference between StC and Vass. Although, I believe if Vass wants to raise prices, they need to have better quality control and eliminate mistakes such as forgetting specs etc. But I'm not complaining, excellent shoes for a very cometitive price.

SC is selling through distributors/trunk shows, with shoes constructed in much finer quality compare to Vass.

Also, they do cater much more to their customers via tons of trunk shows world wide, which warrants part of the high price.

Vass, on the other hand, is still selling to Japan primarily. Their quality isn't as high as some of the other hand welted guys costing ~$1,000.

Good shoes. Price is great for the quality but doesn't mean they could easily increase the price. NMWA or Ascot shoes are selling it at ~$800+ already.
post #14812 of 20222

Vass is hand welted and hand stiched and SC is only hand welted.

 

Meermin (both lines), Carmina and Vass are best value for shoes IMO.  Although I have no Meermin and many others GYW shoes. 

 

Spanish GYW shoes (I will only mentión Berwick, Meermin, Carmina, Lottusse.... ) are top notch compare to english/americans for less than 300-350 euros.

 

The value proposition of Mimo is quite clever.

 

Just my two cents.

post #14813 of 20222
Meermin QC is meh. Vass is slightly better but still not as good as higher end guys.

Vass hand stitching is pretty crude.

But Mimo is right. I always ask myself when I see new EG or G&G shoes: can I get the same at Vass.

I am experimenting something with Vass.
post #14814 of 20222
Meermin's Chinese GY shoes are what you would expect for the money. Carmina I like, a favourite in their price range. But I have just the same mental process as Chogall when I see those thousand dollar GY brands.
post #14815 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapasman View Post

Vass is hand welted and hand stiched and SC is only hand welted.

Meermin (both lines), Carmina and Vass are best value for shoes IMO.  Although I have no Meermin and many others GYW shoes. 

Spanish GYW shoes (I will only mentión Berwick, Meermin, Carmina, Lottusse.... ) are top notch compare to english/americans for less than 300-350 euros.

The value proposition of Mimo is quite clever.

Just my two cents.

Add Bonafè to the list: hand-welted for under $600. Great lasts and leather quality.

Carmina is a great value, but leather quality isn't that great; I'm especially surprised that the colors/dying of the skins seem sub par compared to other stuff I've seen.
post #14816 of 20222

I often read where people speak of value when comparing HW shoes to GYW shoes. However I've yet to read anyone state that because a shoe is hand welted that would equate to it lasting any longer than a GYW shoe, or that it would look any better than a GYW shoe, or that it would fit any better or wear any better than a GYW shoe. So where's the value?

 

It appears that the major difference is how the shoe is crafted and the effort that goes into making the shoe. An appreciation for the craftsmanship which is no small thing, but this again doesn't mean you can expect any better results. I mean gemming does not appear to occur that terribly often.

post #14817 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

I often read where people speak of value when comparing HW shoes to GYW shoes. However I've yet to read anyone state that because a shoe is hand welted that would equate to it lasting any longer than a GYW shoe, or that it would look any better than a GYW shoe, or that it would fit any better or wear any better than a GYW shoe. So where's the value?

It appears that the major difference is how the shoe is crafted and the effort that goes into making the shoe. An appreciation for the craftsmanship which is no small thing, but this again doesn't mean you can expect any better results. I mean gemming does not appear to occur that terribly often.

I think DWF was saying by doing the shoe in handwelt, the maker have to use better material for the insole compare to GYW.
post #14818 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

I often read where people speak of value when comparing HW shoes to GYW shoes. However I've yet to read anyone state that because a shoe is hand welted that would equate to it lasting any longer than a GYW shoe, or that it would look any better than a GYW shoe, or that it would fit any better or wear any better than a GYW shoe. So where's the value?

It appears that the major difference is how the shoe is crafted and the effort that goes into making the shoe. An appreciation for the craftsmanship which is no small thing, but this again doesn't mean you can expect any better results. I mean gemming does not appear to occur that terribly often.

Well said.
post #14819 of 20222
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacafotos View Post


Add Bonafè to the list: hand-welted for under $600. Great lasts and leather quality.

Carmina is a great value, but leather quality isn't that great; I'm especially surprised that the colors/dying of the skins seem sub par compared to other stuff I've seen.

+1

post #14820 of 20222
Not taking any sides on the HW or GYW argument as I own and enjoy both.

But none of this matters if the shoes don't fit :-))
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)