Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- SOLD! VASS dark cognac oxford with brogues Last post on 2/16/17 at 3:48am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on 3/24/17 at 3:33pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 4:00 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 894post #13397 of 2089612/19/14 at 3:57pmpost #13398 of 2089612/19/14 at 4:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by Ironist
Wow @NAMOR, what the hell. Killing it man. Everytime you post a new boot I get more confused on what boot to target next! What are your thoughts on Valway vs Galway so far?Quote:
thank you gents the valways came out nicely indeed. i didnt ask for it but they made the uppers from a single piece of shell. vass are truly masters at their craft. its pretty easy to distinguish galway from valway imo simply by looking at toe shape. as concordia eluded to, vasss shoes retain that central european charm even with the galway design
btw, the ucap was supposed to a longwing boot. i specially mentioned "longwing" and "galosh" in my description but im happy with the boot they made.
youll notice that the boots have a shell pulltab which i may or may not keep. i asked that the pull tab be made at the very top which they did do. just need to test out whether theyll catch pant hempost #13399 of 2089612/19/14 at 4:27pmpost #13400 of 2089612/19/14 at 4:59pmpost #13401 of 2089612/19/14 at 6:43pmpost #13402 of 2089612/20/14 at 4:28ampost #13403 of 2089612/20/14 at 5:01ampost #13404 of 2089612/20/14 at 5:58ampost #13405 of 2089612/20/14 at 6:29ampost #13406 of 2089612/20/14 at 8:48ampost #13407 of 2089612/20/14 at 9:06amQuote:Originally Posted by Concordia
OK, my F oxfords (wide fitting?) came today. Black shell, quarter-brogue.
They are slim and elegant indeed. So elegant that they could plausibly be a bespoke London product, if you don't look too long. But so slim that I had trouble putting them on. Also, the quarters don't close up parallel the way they do for P2 and 3636 oxfords (normal width). There's still close to a centimeter's separation at the top.
That said, they give decent support, probably better than P2 which sometimes seems a little flat on the insole. The heel is very tight, unlike the 3636 whose comfortable looseness may have contributed to a small nerve injury while I was walking on medieval cobblestones last month. The whole thing fits well in the sense that it is equally tight all over without pinching. And shell can stretch a bit. So while I'm quite aware that these aren't bespoke, I am not too worried--yet.
The only question now is whether I would buy more on this last. One motivation to get more than one is travel-- if you have two pair of anything that use the same last, that's one less pair of shoe trees you need to take. And this particular pair would be very useful in getting around in the city during wintertime. The shell creates the potential for good support while walking, and will be less prone to damage by snow, salt, and rain than calf. The metal toe tap adds a little bullet-proofing to the sole.
Nevertheless, I wonder if these would be too tight to put on after a long flight and some salty restaurant food. We'll have to wait after the breaking-in period to be sure. Also, these are oxfords with a lot of seams. A derby for Pair 2, either a Norweger or a plain-toed Londoner might come with a tad more room, especially if made from something other than fine calf. Shell, Scotch-grain, or camel, for example.
Great post Concordia; very usefull. I whish you had posted before. Thankspost #13408 of 2089612/20/14 at 9:07ampost #13409 of 2089612/20/14 at 9:09ampost #13410 of 2089612/20/14 at 10:26amI believe @venividivicibj asked to see some comparison photos of the F and 3636 last.
Here are several different angles (spoilered for those who don't want to flick through them on their phones)
There are probably some distortions due to camera angle, but hopefully they give an idea.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
Currently, there are 1738 Active Users (335 Members and 1403 Guests)
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 45 seconds ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 6 minutes ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 9 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 9 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...