Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. Last post on Yesterday at 12:36 pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 12:29 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 20, 2015 Last post on 7/28/15 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 718post #10757 of 202674/21/14 at 12:23pm
I own two Carminas, and four Vass (have owned more), and to me they are really in different leagues. Carmina are really great shoes for the price, no word about it, but Vass is definitely at least one step above. Vass has better leather quality (although they do use a bit too much from each hide to be perfect, the quarters are often a bit lower in quality), better soles, real leather heel and toe stiffeners instead of leather board heel and plastic toe, better insoles, and, obviously, better construction method.post #10758 of 202674/21/14 at 1:49pmpost #10759 of 202674/21/14 at 2:03pmpost #10760 of 202674/21/14 at 2:06pmI also own both and agree with both former members. Vass is on a completely another level in all aspects. (Lower) price hasn't been the reason why I purchased Carminas, but the color choices and differentiating lasts in my rotation. I find the Forest, Simpson and Rain last appealing. And I've always found Vass' dark brown calf dull and a bit boring to be honest (haven't tried the museum brown yet). Color and lasts are the reasons I even try new stuff. I'm extremely satisfied with Vass construction wise, price/quality ratio etc.post #10761 of 202674/21/14 at 2:09pmpost #10762 of 202674/21/14 at 2:12pmpost #10763 of 202674/21/14 at 3:49pmDoes Vass have a brown leather that's similar to EG/G&G dark oak? I've seen Vass's dark brown in person, and it's much darker. I have a pair in antic cognac, and it's quite different. Nothing on the color chart that gets cited most often looks close. Maybe 6125 dark cognac (seems too red)? Do they have plain brown?post #10764 of 202674/21/14 at 5:00pmQuote:EG's Dark Oak is pretty heavily antiqued. If you want the same, you could fiddle with antik cognac until it's dark enough.Originally Posted by Mr. Six
Does Vass have a brown leather that's similar to EG/G&G dark oak? I've seen Vass's dark brown in person, and it's much darker. I have a pair in antic cognac, and it's quite different. Nothing on the color chart that gets cited most often looks close. Maybe 6125 dark cognac (seems too red)? Do they have plain brown?post #10765 of 202674/21/14 at 5:12pmcrosspost from Recent Purchases.
Just got these MTO shoes in the mail. They are a size 43.5 on the New Peter last.
They are identical in insole and outsole length to my well-fitting C&J derbies. However, they are narrower in width and lower in height in the toebox.
Any advice on what I could do to compensate for the sizing issues on my next order? (Need more toebox width + height)
Should I order a wider fitting or go up a half size?
The length on these is PERFECT. Don't want that to change. It's just that I need more room in the toebox.Quote:Originally Posted by jrd617
Here's a picture of my foot vs. the two semi-lasted shoe trees. C&J feels like a better fit
Might just keep these and see how they break in. They will feel a lot different once my feet "sink in" to the leather footbed. There should also be some stretching in the uppers.
Edited by jrd617 - 4/21/14 at 5:39pmpost #10766 of 202674/21/14 at 6:04pmpost #10767 of 202674/21/14 at 7:51pmpost #10768 of 202674/21/14 at 7:54pmpost #10769 of 202674/21/14 at 7:59pmpost #10770 of 202674/21/14 at 8:17pmQuote:
Vass footbed mold very good to foot on double sole.
In general the hand welt shoe mold more good than goodyear welt shoe.
Goodyear welt = cardboard box feel.
Hand welt = old friend feel.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Eidos Napoli 11 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 17 minutes ago
- › GAZIANO & GIRLING Arran Brown Suede Chukka Shoes Boots Trees & Box... 22 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 36 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 36 minutes ago
- › Best selvedge jeans 50 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 51 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 53 minutes ago
- › Sartoria Pino Peluso Thread 57 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 59 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...