or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...) - Page 684

post #10246 of 20282

^^^ Thank you sir! 

post #10247 of 20282
VASS has so many cognac colors, it's hard to keep track visually:

6125 cognac, 6319 cognac, cognac, antique cognac, red cognac...

I keep looking at pics to see which leather i want for a budapester, and right when i think i can guess which color is which, i find myself guessing completely wrong :ember:

I'm probably going to take a chance on 6125 (dark) cognac, it remind me of AE chili in pics, i like that color...
post #10248 of 20282

Can somebody give me their impression on Vass' shell offerings? I'm thinking about acquiring a dark brown punched captoe shell from Vass, but how does it compare to the likes of Carmina, C&J etc...Or you think the other brands provide a better value at their respective price point? 

post #10249 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I'm probably going to take a chance on 6125 (dark) cognac, it remind me of AE chili in pics, i like that color...

I think you're right on the money - I also think the 6125 cognac (reddish brown) look like AE's chili
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Can somebody give me their impression on Vass' shell offerings? I'm thinking about acquiring a dark brown punched captoe shell from Vass, but how does it compare to the likes of Carmina, C&J etc...Or you think the other brands provide a better value at their respective price point? 

I have shell from carmina and vass, and Carmina's shells are smoother & cleaner. I don't know if it's just a specific batch or if Camina gets better shells from Horween because they're big buyer
post #10250 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Can somebody give me their impression on Vass' shell offerings? I'm thinking about acquiring a dark brown punched captoe shell from Vass, but how does it compare to the likes of Carmina, C&J etc...Or you think the other brands provide a better value at their respective price point? 
Vass is a good option for shell, IMO. Quality shell and construction, and decent styles. I consider it to be better overall compared to Alden and on par with C&J. I've not owned Carmina.
post #10251 of 20282

^What's the easiest way to deal with Vass? Just direct e-mails?

 

Also, the gentleman in the No Man Walks Alone affiliate thread isn't open to doing shell MTO anymore, His words, in response to my inquiry: "I think we should forget shell boots at this point. The material is usually not available, or only available in one or two colors at the time, Vass has no idea when they're getting more, especially in quantities large enough for multiple pairs, and the cost for cordo high boots is IMO quite dissuasive.    I don't want to embark on a group MTO journey where people will ask where their shoes are and where the answer from all parties would be "no idea"... There will be a lot of frustration involved for all. Let's stick to calf and suede.   I don't want to weigh in too much with my personal input (we already do for our RTW buying decisions) and I would like it to be driven by you guys, but that would be my only request : no shell."

 

When did you get yours?

post #10252 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklq76a View Post
 

^What's the easiest way to deal with Vass? Just direct e-mails?

 

Also, the gentleman in the No Man Walks Alone affiliate thread isn't open to doing shell MTO anymore, His words, in response to my inquiry: "I think we should forget shell boots at this point. The material is usually not available, or only available in one or two colors at the time, Vass has no idea when they're getting more, especially in quantities large enough for multiple pairs, and the cost for cordo high boots is IMO quite dissuasive.    I don't want to embark on a group MTO journey where people will ask where their shoes are and where the answer from all parties would be "no idea"... There will be a lot of frustration involved for all. Let's stick to calf and suede.   I don't want to weigh in too much with my personal input (we already do for our RTW buying decisions) and I would like it to be driven by you guys, but that would be my only request : no shell."

 

When did you get yours?

 

   you can usually order through Notch or Epaulet. I'm not sure if Ascot Shoes still orders MTO from them or not.

   the advice you were given by NMWA is completely accurate. They've stated correctly that shell is becoming

   more and more difficult to obtain . . . . for anyone.

 

   I had enquired about a shell boot from Vass this past September and was advised they had enough left of the

   color I was interested in to do one more boot and that would be the end of their supply.

 

   Carmina is out of a majority of colors, Alden can't source very much and there's no reason to believe Vass

   can obtain Horween tanned hides readily either. Unless some of the makers reach out to French or Japanese

   suppliers, just to name two, the shells are becoming rare things.

post #10253 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklq76a View Post

^What's the easiest way to deal with Vass? Just direct e-mails?

Also, the gentleman in the No Man Walks Alone affiliate thread isn't open to doing shell MTO anymore, His words, in response to my inquiry: "I think we should forget shell boots at this point. The material is usually not available, or only available in one or two colors at the time, Vass has no idea when they're getting more, especially in quantities large enough for multiple pairs, and the cost for cordo high boots is IMO quite dissuasive.    I don't want to embark on a group MTO journey where people will ask where their shoes are and where the answer from all parties would be "no idea"... There will be a lot of frustration involved for all. Let's stick to calf and suede.   I don't want to weigh in too much with my personal input (we already do for our RTW buying decisions) and I would like it to be driven by you guys, but that would be my only request : no shell."

When did you get yours?

For a single pair, we can try and see what colors they have (I know they're making a burgundy cordovan ankle boot for a customer right now). My reticence is to go down the road of a group order for cordovan boots - this, IMO, would end in frustration for all.
post #10254 of 20282

^ ^^ Thanks for the news. I understand and appreciate your desire to avoid frustration!

post #10255 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklq76a View Post
 

^ Thanks for the unfortunate news...:embar:

 

   go for a single. i'm tracking black personally and wish I hadn't waited so long to make a move.

post #10256 of 20282
Speaking of the VASS GMTO thread, that's pretty much dead now.

I would love to do a GMTO, but no one can agree on even a model, let alone other details... smack.gif
post #10257 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Speaking of the VASS GMTO thread, that's pretty much dead now.

I would love to do a GMTO, but no one can agree on even a model, let alone other details... smack.gif

Where's the VASS GMTO thread? Can you link me? Thanks. 

post #10258 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Where's the VASS GMTO thread? Can you link me? Thanks. 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/365231/no-man-walks-alone-x-vass-mto-thread/0_20
post #10259 of 20282
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

Speaking of the VASS GMTO thread, that's pretty much dead now.

I would love to do a GMTO, but no one can agree on even a model, let alone other details... smack.gif

 

   isn't that pretty much the case for a majority of group buys ?

   they come up with some hella good ideas for walking alone though.

post #10260 of 20282
F Last Bordeaux Scotchgrain Boots I got today from a SF member. Kinda surprised by how thin the leather is, resulting in a boot that is as light as some Chuck Taylor I own. Maybe I'm used to Tricker's boots weighting a ton, but this is definitely the lightest goodyear welted shoe I ever handled. Oh well... they sure are pretty.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)