• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands - Collector's Mentality?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are favorite brands among this forum, as one would expect. Like maybe a stamp collector would, do you go out of your way to sample from the popular brands? Mall brands don't count.

BOF

Reaction score
I don't consciously seek out all of the brands (speaking for jeans only as that's where my money typically goes). I just look for things that are different that I haven't tried before, either in fabric or construction. I go for looser fits, so I started with ALD, then a Samurai, Oni... Basic selvage, LHT, super-slubby...

However, there are brands that I feel like I should have something of. Levi's because they're the classics (have an STF and a pair of the 646 bells, but would like one of the older models like the 1927), and Nudie because they're the first brand that I found of raw denim (perhaps the new Fast Freddy model, which is appealing because of the organic denim and loose fit, though I've still never bought any of their jeans).

djs488

Reaction score
Yes, I would consider myself somewhat of a collector. I like looking at my closet and seeing a wide variety of brands and styles, maybe just for the sake of variety.

I find it easier to rationalize that I am creating my own style if I believe I'm picking what I like from many different sources. If just a few brands dominated my wardrobe I think I would feel "dressed" by those brands and not feel any sense of my own style. Ideally, I would prefer to have as many brands populating my wardrobe as possible while maintaining some cohesiveness in terms of a set style.

Linwe

Reaction score
Like the others have said, I like variety in my denim too so i'm always looking out for something i've not got already and this extends to non-selvedge fashion brands as well as raw selvedge brands.

I don't see the point in buying jeans that are very similar (in fabric for example) unless the cut was very different. Different fabric colours and textures is really what gives raw denim its variety as they'll never be as much choice as fashion denim with its countless 'distressed' washes. I'll often buy for the pocket detail though, for example i plan to own a pair of Ande's and FlatHead in future as i love the pocket stitching.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I still do a bit of sampling from time to time, but for the majority I find it simpler to just stick with the brands you know and get the "must have" pieces from them since you know that they suit you well in terms of style, quality, and fit.

I don't recommend sticking to just a few brands or designers if you are just getting into fashion, but like most things in life, after you do your exploring, you will likely pick what you think is best and stick to it. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Most of my closet consists of 5 brands with a sprinkling of other designer stuffs for icing.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
I guess I still do a bit of sampling from time to time, but for the majority I find it simpler to just stick with the brands you know and get the "must have" pieces from them since you know that they suit you well in terms of style, quality, and fit.

I don't recommend sticking to just a few brands or designers if you are just getting into fashion, but like most things in life, after you do your exploring, you will likely pick what you think is best and stick to it. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

+++

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Most of my closet consists of 5 brands with a sprinkling of other designer stuffs for icing.
This, except for denim. I buy alot of jeans because I like them, though, and not because I wear them all. If I didn't enjoy "collecting" Japanese denim, I could easily get by with one pair of Samurais or Real McCoys.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have a lot of raf simons and mmm collectible pieces that are too ridiculous to wear and that i sell little by little. i suppose the answer is yes

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any two jeans from the same brand, as all the brands are pretty unique and I want alot of variety.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I think when I first started out I bought from all over the place not only to find my aesthetic but also to become familiar with brands outside of reading them on the forum or seeing them at a store; it's definitely one thing to judge an article of clothing from a couple of photos and another giving the piece a few wears to give it a chance to grow or leave in the dust. Also, it's nice to find out for yourself why some people hype brands that might otherwise not be a part of your aesthetic.

I've got about six brands that I buy religiously while allowing a piece or two from other random designers to fill in specific gaps, ie, signature pieces or pieces meant to be worn heavily without regard.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^well said.

You start out all over the place then focus.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i didn't know the mr. furley brand had 6 diffusion lines.

Originally Posted by whodini
I think when I first started out I bought from all over the place not only to find my aesthetic but also to become familiar with brands outside of reading them on the forum or seeing them at a store; it's definitely one thing to judge an article of clothing from a couple of photos and another giving the piece a few wears to give it a chance to grow or leave in the dust. Also, it's nice to find out for yourself why some people hype brands that might otherwise not be a part of your aesthetic.

I've got about six brands that I buy religiously while allowing a piece or two from other random designers to fill in specific gaps, ie, signature pieces or pieces meant to be worn heavily without regard.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

This and Mini's response sum it up nicely. I'm still a bit wet behind the ears to a lot of brands, because I've only actually seen clothing from a slim number of them. Dabbling with a broader range of brands early on may be costly, but it'll help expand your palette and help you zone in on your preferred aesthetic.

Once you go through that process, I think you're more likely to develop a loyal mentality toward certain brands, not necessarily a collector's mentality.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^well said.

You start out all over the place then focus.

Exactly. I don't really see it as a total waste of money, either. If you start off by painting yourself into a corner with one or two brands then you're selling yourself short on figuring out what you're happiest with. You can still get into all sorts of brands and if you're careful enough with your buys none of it will appear out of place. Rye is a good example of both cases: he certainly has a mixed closet that he uses to pull out the occasional odd piece or two but he knows what he's comfortable most in and sticks with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads