or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Profanity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Profanity

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Seems we're not the only ones using/noticing it more:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060328/...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-
post #2 of 13
Profanity? On this forum? Why, I never!

Jon.
post #3 of 13
I think it's The Sopranos effect. Tough guys and wannabe tough guys.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I think it's The Sopranos effect. Tough guys and wannabe tough guys.

LOL. You mean telephone tough guys. People who are tough far away, but will cower in real life.

Jon.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Saw a History of Violence last night.

Viggo as a tough guy.

Interesting movie...
post #6 of 13
All the casual use of the word fuck on this board is getting annoying. It seems like people are just doing it to seem edgy.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
All the casual use of the word fuck on this board is getting annoying. It seems like people are just doing it to seem edgy.

Or they are just copycats...

Jon.
post #8 of 13
In older books, swearing was used to show the ultimate change in characters. Usually from good to bad, or from bad to worse. I swear to get the point across on occasion, but I hear people curse 4 or 5 times in 3 word sentences. Think about that for a minute...
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Or they are just copycats...

Jon.


Why copy the cat boring?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Saw a History of Violence last night.

Viggo as a tough guy.

Interesting movie...
Really? I didn't think it was especially interesting at all. Dude tries to run away from past, past catches up with dude, dude has to confront demons from past. The acting wasn't even very good--I don't get the hype.

Tom
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
Really? I didn't think it was especially interesting at all. Dude tries to run away from past, past catches up with dude, dude has to confront demons from past. The acting wasn't even very good--I don't get the hype.

To a certain extent I agree, Tom. I think that some of the hype, though, comes from people who were surprised to feel conflicted about the violence. I think a lot of people went to the movie expecting a screed against violence, and instead the most interesting and compelling scenes were fight scenes, and in the end violence was effectively used to solve the problem. I thought the movie made basically no interesting points about actual real-life violence, but I thought that it did make for an interesting examination into how we perceive violence in our fiction. I may have been reading things into it that just weren't there, though, who knows.
post #12 of 13
Interesting point. It's certainly nothing new for a movie to end with violence making everything a-okay! but if this one got people thinking and reacting rather than just staring numbly, then great. Of course, I'm not really sure we as a society need to be getting more comfortable with violence right now.

I did think the best part of the movie was Viggo's confrontation with his brother.
post #13 of 13
fuck fuckiddy fuck fuck fuck































balls





















rimjob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Profanity