• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is everyone here againt blacksuits/pants?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking here forever, though rarely posting.

Anyway, i've noticed that the majority of the folks here are for some reason against full black suits? Why is that?

One of my favorite suits is a bespoke all black suit that fits me like a glove, call me one of the few but I dislike Navy and dark blue suits.

So whats the consensus, whats the hate against black?

ranker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI

Anyway, i've noticed that the majority of the folks here are for some reason against full black suits? Why is that?

One of my favorite suits is a bespoke all black suit that fits me like a glove, call me one of the few but I dislike Navy and dark blue suits.

Do you attend funerals, weddings, and movie premieres often?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mmmm...I've never heard of any hate against black suits. I even used the search function, and I couldn't find anything.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The other 20 threads didn't give you enough information?
confused.gif

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I'll admit that until recently all I ever wore my whole life was a black suit. Honestly, I never thought anything of it. I suppose you can break it all down to rules - there is a time and a place for everything. For example, would you wear a Tuxedo to work? Would you wear jeans to the Opera? I suppose you could do either, but surely you would agree both are out of place. Now that my eyes have been opened to possibilities, I find an all black suit rather boring. I am still having trouble getting over black shoes though.
tongue.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are two kinds of everyday black suit wearers in this world: those who don't know any better, and those who do. It's tough to say who deserves more pity.
smile.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
I'll admit that until recently all I ever wore my whole life was a black suit. Honestly, I never thought anything of it. I suppose you can break it all down to rules - there is a time and a place for everything. For example, would you wear a Tuxedo to work? Would you wear jeans to the Opera? I suppose you could do either, but surely you would agree both are out of place. Now that my eyes have been opened to possibilities, I find an all black suit rather boring. I am still having trouble getting over black shoes though.
tongue.gif

PhillyDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Mmmm...I've never heard of any hate against black suits. I even used the search function, and I couldn't find anything.

You couldn't find anything?

Really?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked again and all I can come up with is something called "office pants". Not sure of the color though...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Checked again and all I can come up with is something called "office pants". Not sure of the color though...

I wear my office pants at night, so I can, so I can.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Most suits people think of as "black" are actually "charcoal." That is a very different color, though it is not much less dark than true black.

A truly black suit looks very odd to my eyes during the daytime. A charcoal suit looks like business. Ditto for pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads