• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that you know that kids now will probably never understand

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The smell of 35mm film.

We found a couple of rolls of real 35mm film lying around, and they had been sitting so long, we figured they weren't safe to use. Tossed them out. We probably will never buy another one. I remember how Kodak film used to smell when you would pop the grey cap off the black container. Everything's digital now - kids born much later than I was will probably never know this.

A similar discussion came up with the younger members of my family the other night. Telephone numbers around here (before I was around, really) used to be "Sherwood 6, 4711". Named after the local exchange. It took some explaining.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I bet others will have some better ones than mine. Probably some I myself have never experienced.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thrill of getting the big 600 or 700 piece Lego sets for christmas, opening up all the little plastic bags, looking at all the pieces, and then spending the rest of the day building it. The ones now days are really lame and don't have many pieces at all. They are too specialized and really limit creativity. Plus they have some pretty weak themes.

stach

Reaction score
I vaugely remember four digit telephone numbers, then the whole town had the same three digit prefix. Everyone got very annoyed when they added additional prefixes, and finally area codes were introduced. If there are no 35mm film containers, how will the kiddies carry around their drugs?
tongue.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
The thrill of getting the big 600 or 700 piece Lego sets for christmas, opening up all the little plastic bags, looking at all the pieces, and then spending the rest of the day building it. The ones now days are really lame and don't have many pieces at all. They are too specialized and really limit creativity. Plus they have some pretty weak themes.
I remember that - all the Lego eventually ended up in a big bin that got passed down to whatever kid in my family was of Lego age (done swallowing toys, not bored yet). Spent tons of time playing with that stuff and making all kinds of random stuff with my friends.

I remember rotary phones, too. In fact, I have used one of those hold-the-earpiece style phones, though I think it was a repro.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world before before SSRIs.

tangerine

Reaction score
Pinball machines with mechanical counters.
Smelling mimeograph machine ink in school.
Life before people had PCs, never mind Internet access.
Corollary: Windows 1.0.
confused.gif

Black and white television.
Life before mobile phones.
Vending machines that dispensed ice-cold sodas in glass bottles.
Cans that required a "church key" to open.
The old pop-top cans whose tops came off and became choking hazards for small children.
The craze for "generic" products with white labels with black block letters on them.

I'm stopping, this is making me feel like my pet stegosaurus that kids will never understand.
frown.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
The feeling of using a rotary dial phone.
How about party lines. (NOT the powdery ones lined up on mirrors)

IBM Selectrics.

ATM

Reaction score
Flipping over an album to play side two.
Getting off the couch to change the channel on the TV (which had vacuum tubes).

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those little plastic things you put into the larger hole of 45's so you could put it on your turntable.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
I actually remember quite a few of thsoe things, and I'm the youngest member here.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I remember that - all the Lego eventually ended up in a big bin that got passed down to whatever kid in my family was of Lego age (done swallowing toys, not bored yet). Spent tons of time playing with that stuff and making all kinds of random stuff with my friends.

Lego is the ******* best.

My school has an analog-focused photo class (two of them, actually) FWIW.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Reading a book or newspaper...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads