Many of these have likely been covered in the 11+ pages of posts, but...
- the "WHIRRR-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC" one hears when dialling a rotary dial phone
- the "BRRRRINNNNNGGGGG" of a ringing rotary telephone (the ring tones that imitate them just don't sound right, to me)
- the smell of mimeographed paper in school (anyone else remember the old blue and white?)
- while we're on the topic of schools, the strap. I was never on the receiving end (though I still remember the sound of a classmate getting it), but the idea of corporal punishment in school is definitely a thing of the past
- well-dressed teachers (I recall all of mine wore dresses, and the only make teacher I had always wore a tie and sport coat)
- gas pumps with the numbers on reels (i.e., not digital) - they also had those funny little balls that danced around in a little glass globe on the side of the pump, too
- leaded gas, for that matter
- cassette tapes (still have all of mine) and walkmans (ditto - still functional, too) - sad story: a young co-worker saw my walkman in my office and asked me why my MP3 player was so big!!
- a 9-world solar system, with Pluto as a planet
- going out to play for several hours, and coming home after dark
- sticking a baseball card in the back wheel of your bike to make a motor noise
- overhead projectors (I did my time as slide-turner when I started working)
- VHS vs. Beta; VCRs in general, too
- break dancing (very specific time period, I know, but I was into it in school)
Thanks for the memories, now I feel old....