or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Which European dishes/beverages are done worst in USA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which European dishes/beverages are done worst in USA - Page 2

post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
Beer.

There are some better beers in America these days, but I've never had an American IPA, for example, that could even come close to a fresh English one. God I miss it.

Have you had the Harpoon IPA? I can't compare it to an English IPA (my one trip to London involved many pints of English bitter, but no IPAs), but it's pretty tasty with a nice, hoppy bite.
post #17 of 70
My natural reaction would be to add to the list, but I've decided to be positive today:a new small bakery opened nearby: my son is delighted with their pains au chocolat and the owner will try to speak French to him.
post #18 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
My natural reaction would be to add to the list, but I've decided to be positive today:a new small bakery opened nearby: my son is delighted with their pains au chocolat and the owner will try to speak French to him.


Lots of USA coffee shops and bakeries sell "pain au chocolate," but don't try to order them that way, as they will not know what you are talking about. Here they are called "chocolate croissants," even though they are not crescent shaped.
post #19 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman
fish'n'chips


I once read that fish'n'chips was always wrapped in old newspapers until about 10-15 years ago. When the change to plain wrapping paper was made, there were many complaints about the taste having been altered. Seems like the old flavor came from a bit of newsprint ink having been picked up by both the fish and chips. Is this true?
post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanseat
Whoohh... You mean you prefer one of these either really thick (NY style) or incredbly greasy pizzas over a pizza that can be had in Germany? Most pizzas around here come realtively close to the original as I don't really know any restaurant that has pizza that is not genuinely italian (except the turkish Döner places that sell "pizza"). I like the pizza around here a lot better than the one in the us- then agian it might be an acquired taste.

(P.S. The best frozen pizza I ever had was La Pizza- get some of those and I bet you'll like them)
For some reason, the frozen pizza in Germany is better than the frozen pizza in the States. I'm not going to begin to guess on that one. SG accurately described the difference between NY and Chicago style pizza.

I'm going to stick by my guns that the pizza in Germany is sub-par, with the caveat that I've only tried it in Frankfurt, Koln, and the sticks. In all cases it was made by Italians who--as Zach pointed out--have little reason to stay in Germany and plan to return to Italy soon. First problem is the cheese--it's not mozzarella, save one place in Frankfurt. Second is the sauce--not made with fresh or even good canned tomatoes. That leaves the crust, which is OK but not great.

Seriously, anyone who thinks you can get good pizza outside of Italy needs to go to Naples. No one else can make it like that, not in Rome or Milan or Sardegna (that one was closest) or Florence or Palermo or anywhere. They say it's the water in Naples that makes pizza there perfect, who am I to argue?

Oh, doner places make some good pizza, but you have to think of it as another kind of doner, not a pizza.

Tom
post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
I once read that fish'n'chips was always wrapped in old newspapers until about 10-15 years ago. When the change to plain wrapping paper was made, there were many complaints about the taste having been altered. Seems like the old flavor came from a bit of newsprint ink having been picked up by both the fish and chips. Is this true?

The practice was banned in the 80's (in the UK) so I never got the chance to try them. Some places will use fake newspaper wrapping. Anyway, some people have told me the same thing; something about the aroma produced by the food in conjunction with the newspaper.
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I've never had a steak in the US that can compare to Argentina. And that includes Argentinean restaurants in Miami that use beef from Argentina.

Jon.
I challenge you with the Brasileiro churascarria!!! As a native of Brasil I feel it necessary to defend my country against that of you Argentine barbarians!!!
Seriously, nothing personal, its just a culturally-ingrained distrust of Argentinians.
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford
It's hard to find a good paella in the states.

Come visit. I learned to kmake a great paella mixta from Spansih friends, have had plenty of opportunity to test it against some of the best in Spain, and have to admit, mine is pretty much up to par. I must get myself a proper paella pan though...
post #24 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I challenge you with the Brasileiro churascarria!!! As a native of Brasil I feel it necessary to defend my country against that of you Argentine barbarians!!!
Seriously, nothing personal, its just a culturally-ingrained distrust of Argentinians.

Nothing personal, but your country just cannot do steak like we can. At the same time we can't do sex-filled, week long, dance parties like you guys can. To each his own.

Jon.
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Nothing personal, but your country just cannot do steak like we can. At the same time we can't do sex-filled, week long, dance parties like you guys can. To each his own.

Jon.
Actually, I'm fairly sure that Brazilian steakhouses use Argentine(sp?) beef, so it's sort of a moot point, eh?
post #26 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Nothing personal, but your country just cannot do steak like we can. At the same time we can't do sex-filled, week long, dance parties like you guys can. To each his own.

Jon.


I suggest, in the name of science, that we organize a week long sex-filled dance party in each of brazil and argentina, and then a good meat dinner in each. and we will be the judges of this.
post #27 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Actually, I'm fairly sure that Brazilian steakhouses use Argentine(sp?) beef, so it's sort of a moot point, eh?

No, because it also depends how its cocked and for how long. Also, salt plays an important factor.

Jon.
post #28 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I suggest, in the name of science, that we organize a week long sex-filled dance party in each of brazil and argentina, and then a good meat dinner in each. and we will be the judges of this.

Agreed!

First one with a VD () and a full stomach wins!

Jon.
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Agreed!

First one with a VD () and a full stomach wins!

Jon.

No fair Jon, you have a head start!

post #30 of 70
I'm still waiting for anyone outside of the US to do proper Tang, PB&J, or Mac and Cheese. I challenge you.

bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Which European dishes/beverages are done worst in USA