or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official LVC thread***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official LVC thread*** - Page 51

post #751 of 1177
I'm wearing 1955's right now. One of 5 pairs I own from roughly 2003-2005. The fit is a bit loose and full. Plenty of room when you need to move but a bit full for todays "fashion" look. I have a real beat up pair with paint and patches. I wear them with a chambray shirt, rolled cuff and a cotton web belt and boat shoes.

1955's I think are a bit contrarian in their fit but also classic. They have plenty of room to wear over your engineer boots unlike the skinny cuts.
post #752 of 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOA View Post
The '55s are intriguing to me as well, though I've mostly settled on the '66 as my favorite LVC style. Nice contrast to the '47 but in the opposite way-- roomier in the top block and more carrot-like from the knee down. Might be worth a look, El Arg.
Interesting. I do like though the snug thigh of the 47s you sold me last year. Do the '66 still sport the leather patch? It's nitpicky, but I've been mainly going debating over the 55 or 54 because of the leather patch. I thought past that model it became paper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES View Post
the 1954 actually is one of more disliked models amongst levi enthusiast, because many of these individuals feel that its inauthentic to 501 style. In fact, many over at superfuture feel that both the 1947/54 are overly-stylized versions of the 501. Yet, it should be noted that during this time levi's had a custom program, so getting a carrot like fit was totally possible-- don't forget the brando influence. So to answer your question: 1954= True Carrot Fit 1955= Typical full cut 501's BTW: I'm probably going to return my 1954 in size 34x34, so if you want it, I'll sell for $235, which includes shipping. Sadly I got a new pair of RRL's that need to be worked on.
Bolded - maybe I'm just having a dumb-night, but could you explain that a bit further? Something isn't clicking in my brain to register exactly what you're getting at here. Thanks though for your observations. I would probably jump on that sale in a minute if I wasn't currently unemployed. Unpaid summer internships in foreign countries really put a damper on the acquisition of denim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
I'm wearing 1955's right now. One of 5 pairs I own from roughly 2003-2005. The fit is a bit loose and full. Plenty of room when you need to move but a bit full for todays "fashion" look. I have a real beat up pair with paint and patches. I wear them with a chambray shirt, rolled cuff and a cotton web belt and boat shoes. 1955's I think are a bit contrarian in their fit but also classic. They have plenty of room to wear over your engineer boots unlike the skinny cuts.
I'd gathered as much from a bit of reading, but thanks for the info too. I have a feeling they're fairly similar to my PBJxx009's that I'm working through too - on the looser end and all, more relaxed through the thigh with a taper down through the leg, although no doubt the PBJs do a lower rise than the '55's. I'm trying to get a few different bases covered in my rotation, rather than all being a superslim sort of aesthetic.
post #753 of 1177
...
post #754 of 1177
Isn't the issue of the '54 all about the fact that they're a zippered model and thus not a true 501? Seems like I've read that somewhere before (perhaps SuFu thread).
post #755 of 1177
There was indeed a 501Z, zipper model - but it was the standard fit. IIRC, the 501Z was replaced by the 502 and the 551Z. And as mentioned before, the disenchantment with the 1954 zipper is that it doesn't resemble the original - doesn't bother me, but there was a lot of confusion due to lack of information so not everybody was sure of what they were getting. I have never heard of a Levi's custom program in the 1950s, sounds intriguing, and not a little fanciful!
post #756 of 1177
i do remember the lvc guys at the paris store saying the 54z model was inspired by brando's custom pair, but who knows if that's myth or reality...



Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post
Interesting. I do like though the snug thigh of the 47s you sold me last year. Do the '66 still sport the leather patch? It's nitpicky, but I've been mainly going debating over the 55 or 54 because of the leather patch. I thought past that model it became paper.

yes, the 54 is the last model with leather patch. i love leather patches of early levi's, but it would be very weird and completely unauthentic to have them past 55 models...
post #757 of 1177
There are stories of Brando, or his wardrobe dept, customising his 501, as James Dean did his 101Z, but i don't believe Levi's produced 'customised' models. I think the story linking the 501Z with Brando came from a blog - I've not heard it from XX in Europe and it doesn't make an awful lot of sense as his jeans were button fly, and aren't as skinny as the LVC model. I was told they simply wanted to feed the trend for skinnier cuts. The 505 has a slightly 'modernised' cut, with a lower rise, for much the same reason.
post #758 of 1177
Paul, if I love the 44 cut (high rise, anti fit, somewhat slimish/tapered legs), are the 55s comparable?
post #759 of 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBobo View Post
Paul, if I love the 44 cut (high rise, anti fit, somewhat slimish/tapered legs), are the 55s comparable?

I only have 44 cut-offs (!) and mine are sized a little larger than the 55, but I would say the 55 is my fave all-round cut. The rise is just a little bit lower than the 44, it's a little more tapered, while the seat is fuller. personally I'd buy my actual waist size - in whcih case it's still generous round the thighs, but the legs will be skinnier, relatively speaking, than the 44.
post #760 of 1177
^^LVC sizing is a nightmare as usual. My 44s are tagged 33x36, and I measure 34 in the waist, theystill fit nice/abit loose after several washes... Both my 33s and 37s are tagged 34 aswell, so in general sizing up seems like a bad idea.
post #761 of 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBobo View Post
^^LVC sizing is a nightmare as usual. My 44s are tagged 33x36, and I measure 34 in the waist, theystill fit nice/abit loose after several washes... Both my 33s and 37s are tagged 34 aswell, so in general sizing up seems like a bad idea.

So then Pablo-T or Bobo - If I'm currently sporting a (tts) 34-waist in the '47's, a 33 waist would be the best bet in either of the '50's models I'm debating, given their fuller nature in the top block and thigh?

I like that Brando picture. Selvage all around.
post #762 of 1177
I personally would aim for "true to size" for the actual measurement, but im sure sizing down one would be possible aswell.
post #763 of 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post
So then Pablo-T or Bobo - If I'm currently sporting a (tts) 34-waist in the '47's, a 33 waist would be the best bet in either of the '50's models I'm debating, given their fuller nature in the top block and thigh? I like that Brando picture. Selvage all around.
Due to variation in production (old 47s were an inch smaller than tagged, recent are true to size, old 55 were TTS, new ones are oversized, altho the latest are allegedly accurate) it's hard to generalise! But that sounds like the best bet - if your 47s were TTS, they would have shrunk to 33, so you want a 33 inch waist before shrinking in the 55, which will stretch back out to its original size but still be reasonably roomy around the thighs and seat. So, as long as u check your 55 tagged 33W are made TTS, you should be OK. Sizing plus pics here.
post #764 of 1177
Sounds good thanks guys -

And too for reposting that link from earlier in the thread.
post #765 of 1177

How is the sizing on the "Levi's Vintage 1947 501 Rough Rinse" compared with the original Levi's 501s? Smaller or looser?

 

This one: http://static.fameads.com/catalog/3/346093/original_0.jpg

 

Edit:

 

And another question, my size is 32(33)/32, on LVC 1954 501z STF, should I buy the size 34/34 because i've read that it will shrink like -1/-3 if you understand.

 

 


Edited by rairhash - 7/17/11 at 7:01pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official LVC thread***