• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stand up comedy

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite stand up comedy performances? I haven't seen any threads specifically on the topic before so figured it might be interesting. I'm looking to download some performances to listen to on road trips as comedy and standup stuff passes the time quicker when driving than music for long trips.

The ability to download audio files of recommendation is a plus.

- Eddie Murphy Delirious and Raw are hilarious but most people have seen it a ton. Still worth mentioning

I 2 old richard pryor vinyl albums my uncle had lying around that i took. Funny stuff. There are some modern comedians who have decent stuff as well. Just wondering what people out there have got

r...

Reaction score
All of Dana Gould's HBO stuff (prob 15yo routine)
Same for David Cross including recent stuff
Some Louis CK
Lisa Lampaneli (sp?) she puts on a great show irl
Jim Gaffigan puts on a great show irl
Dave Chappelle

bertie

Reaction score
Sam Kinison
Steven Wright

(but not at the same time)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me Chris Rock's "Bigger and Blacker" is the benchmark. It's the most quotable by far.

r...

Reaction score
As funny and relevant as I find Chris Rock, his set-up of repeating himself 9 times before delivering the joke gets irksome.

r...

Reaction score
The failure bowl routine is funny as all ****. He also did a joke on Conan IIRC about getting so fat it changes how you pronounce words with the letter "b".

DBoon

Reaction score
Above all else, even though I don't even agree with most of what he believed as a person, I think Bill Hicks is off the charts funny / an incredible personality / still completely underrated even as a bloated cult icon who was on a Tool album. Even if I am rolling laughing from a stand up routine (rare), I don't feel the urge to watch it again until it has been so long that I forgot the punchlines. When I bought a Bill Hicks album, I listened to it on repeat for days like a favorite music album. He had the ability to create great characters; he could do the old trick of referring back to an earlier bit and have it actually be clever/funny; his cadence and delivery were phenomenal. He is just one of those guys that could say the exact funniest word at just the right time. I always think about a part where he is talking about the show COPS, and paints the picture of some generic trailer wife. Just as hes about to go into a conversation between her and a cop, he quickly says under his breath "head shaped like a melon - " and I just fuckin lose it.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gaffigan is generally excellent. I feel like there's been kind of a backlash against him (maybe b/c he has annoying superfans who yell out "Hot Pockets" at shows) but he's a funny, thoughtful comic and generally clean although not Brian Regan annoyingly clean.

Michael Ian Black is pretty good now (check out "I Am a Wonderful Man") but Michael Showalter is "different" to the point of "not very good."

Mike Birbiglia is pretty good and kind of cerebral.

I find Eugene Mirman to be funny and creative, although if you're looking to avoid kind of hipster-ish comedy he might turn you off.

I have some of this stuff on audio if you want it.
marchal.gif

borderline NSFW mirman
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
What are some of your favorite stand up comedy performances?

Pretty much anytime Louis CK speaks into a microphone.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

Dimitri Martin

Daniel Tosh

Bill Hicks (AMAZING. Funny and intelligent.)

Oh, and how could I forget George Carlin.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mitch Hedberg was one of the absolute bests. It's really sad he died so young.
frown.gif

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked Steve Byrne. He had a standup special on Comedy Central called Happy Hour, but he didn't seem to amount to much.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads